Nov 15 2013
By: Gamefreak_09 Uncharted Territory 1984 posts

I want to work for Naughty Dog some day...

[ Edited ]
7 replies 307 views Edited Nov 16, 2013

I'm currently in the process of earning my Computer Science Major for programming AI! I hope to contribute to this wonderful company one day. Oh man I know its going to be awesome.

gamefreak2.jpg

Message 1 of 8 (307 Views)
0 Likes
VP of Gaming
28520 posts

Re: I want to work for Naughty Dog some day...

Nov 15, 2013

Gamefreak_09 wrote:

I'm currently in the process of earning Computer Science Major for programming AI! I hope to contribute to this wonderful company one day. Oh man I know its going to be awesome.

Considering that Naughty Dog games are rooted in history and have strong story telling aspects to them, you might want to expand your background a bit. It might be wise if you also study some art, history, mythology, design, film, and literature. At the very least read some adventure novels by Clive Cussler, Lord of the Rings by J. R. R. Tolkein, The Elftstone of Shanara by Terry Brooks, and watch adventure films like Raiders of the Lost Ark. Games that have a strong narrative are going to be more than "Man shoot bad guy, bad buy die. Man win".

Message 2 of 8 (298 Views)
Uncharted Territory
1984 posts

Nov 15, 2013
I am HORRIBLE at history, but I am FASCINATED with culture and architecture.

Do you think I can have a knack for that kind of stuff?

gamefreak2.jpg

Message 3 of 8 (284 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1984 posts

Nov 16, 2013
ehh sorry I wasn't clear, I was focusing on the historical stuff you were talking about. I'm not a book worm nor am I good at recalling stories (mythology is easy though)

I also can't draw for beans. like, at all. my art talent is ZERO.

gamefreak2.jpg

Message 4 of 8 (281 Views)
0 Likes
VP of Gaming
28520 posts

Nov 16, 2013

Gamefreak_09 wrote:
ehh sorry I wasn't clear, I was focusing on the historical stuff you were talking about. I'm not a book worm nor am I good at recalling stories (mythology is easy though)

I also can't draw for beans. like, at all. my art talent is ZERO.

Programming is important, but it helps immensly to know how things fit together. Say for example you have an Egyptian setting. You're not going to put a building that looks like this in the middle of the desert;

Pantheon, Rome

Even if it's just to get a sense of scale, and how these things look in real life.

They said one time that when they did research for Uncharted, they had read a lot of adventure novels. Having read a number of the Cliver Cussler Dirk Pitt novels, that's the first thing that came to mind. In fact, there's one that is based on Sir Francis Drake, called Inca Gold. It's an easy read, and it's well paced so it flys by.

Like I said before, the more stuff you know, the more valuable an asset you become.

Message 5 of 8 (272 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1984 posts

Nov 16, 2013
hm.. sounds good. but um... I was hoping to professionalizing in AI, not modeling.

Though behaviors are important in cultures... oldworld japan people surely acted differently than oldworld.. idk..... france?

gamefreak2.jpg

Message 6 of 8 (269 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
7 posts

Nov 18, 2013

First, I wish you luck in your endeavor.  Hopefully some day you will be a part of Naughty Dog.  

Next, what others have said is correct.  You need to study more than just AI.  Specifically, you need to study some advanced math topics.  Math is probably the most important foundation of AI.  Some topics you should master are linear algebra (especially this one), probability / statistics, and calculus.  Also, you should take time to learn logic (philosphy and math)...esepcially first order and propositional logic.  I trust you know theh different facets of CS you need to explore for AI, so I won't go into those.

Last, take a look at this link for some great slides, notes, readings, etc. that were used in an AI class at an American university: http://www.cs.iastate.edu/~cs572/studyguide.html

Again, good luck!

Message 7 of 8 (249 Views)
0 Likes
Highlighted
Uncharted Territory
1984 posts

Nov 23, 2013
Thanks for the link! There are some pretty interesting things on that page.

I figured out I wanted to become a Combat Designer for the company. Its going to take a while though...

these are the requirements and such

http://www.naughtydog.com/site/careers/combat_designer/

gamefreak2.jpg

Message 8 of 8 (220 Views)
0 Likes