Jul 31 2013
By: OverstuffedSofa Lombax Warrior 200 posts

Naughtydog needs to go back to open world.

8 replies 221 views Edited Jul 31, 2013

I have beaten all of naughtydogs games except jak 3. I beat The last of Us recently, and It took 9 hours (Not including going back to get trophies and get collectibles.) I thought it was an amazing game, best I've played this year. I'm going through the second Jak game, and I'm half way through, and I have 9 hours in it, Plus I haven't done much of the side missions. I hope naughtydog goes back to some open world games and makes a jak 4 this generation. What do you think? Do you like the direction they're going?

Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 9 (221 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
14277 posts

Re: Naughtydog needs to go back to open world.

Jul 31, 2013

they can do whatever they want.

They make great games.

Cognitive Dissonance - The ability to understand multiple viewpoints even if they conflict with one another - and still use critical thinking, logical thought, and common sense to come to the realization that only ONE is the correct one and the others are wrong.

Furiously Chaosing
Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 9 (213 Views)
Lombax Warrior
113 posts

Jul 31, 2013
I agree i enjoy open world games but only time can tell still have a while to go
Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 9 (212 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
200 posts

Jul 31, 2013

I wasn't telling them what to do. I wasn't trying to sound that way, atleast. They most definitely make great games, but they also should give some variety in their games. They can still have their game cinematic and not be linear. Not that I have a problem with linearity, I loved every single one of their games.

gR3yGh051 wrote:

they can do whatever they want.

They make great games.

Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 9 (210 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1691 posts

Jul 31, 2013
i like open world games, but the last of us and uncharted were amazing, so ill just let them do them, and me do me.
Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 9 (174 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
200 posts

Aug 1, 2013

Occhi07 wrote:
i like open world games, but the last of us and uncharted were amazing, so ill just let them do them, and me do me.

I know, I don't want to tell these masterminds how to work, but now that they have 2 teams, it'd be cool if one of them went back to open world gameplay mechanics. It adds more replay value and I personally spend more time in open world games.

Please use plain text.
Message 6 of 9 (154 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation Moderator
1031 posts

Aug 1, 2013
Hey, I will be moving this thread to Naughty Dog - Genera Discussion, from PlayStation General.
Please use plain text.
Message 7 of 9 (134 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
22677 posts

Aug 3, 2013

Here's the thing; "linear" is not necessarily a bad thing. Open world games work for some types of games. That's SOME types. For an adventure game like Uncharted or a game like The Last of Us, they don't. Why? Because you need a linear path to keep the game moving forward. Uncharted takes it's cues from the classic pulp adventures of the 30's and 40's, and from films like Raiders of the Lost Ark, and novels like Clive Cussler's Dirk Pitt series. Imagine if Indiana Jones just wandered around Cairo saying "hey, anyone seen the Ark of the Covenant?".

There are instances where linear is "bad". I never liked Splinter Cell's rigid linear style of play, mainly because it relied too much on trial and error.

What Naughty Dog is doing right now works. I personally do not want to see a Last of Us or Uncharted type of game that is a cut and paste of Grand Theft Auto, inFAMOUS or another open world style game.

Please use plain text.
Message 8 of 9 (104 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
200 posts

Aug 3, 2013

CaptainAlbator wrote:

Here's the thing; "linear" is not necessarily a bad thing. Open world games work for some types of games. That's SOME types. For an adventure game like Uncharted or a game like The Last of Us, they don't. Why? Because you need a linear path to keep the game moving forward. Uncharted takes it's cues from the classic pulp adventures of the 30's and 40's, and from films like Raiders of the Lost Ark, and novels like Clive Cussler's Dirk Pitt series. Imagine if Indiana Jones just wandered around Cairo saying "hey, anyone seen the Ark of the Covenant?".

There are instances where linear is "bad". I never liked Splinter Cell's rigid linear style of play, mainly because it relied too much on trial and error.

What Naughty Dog is doing right now works. I personally do not want to see a Last of Us or Uncharted type of game that is a cut and paste of Grand Theft Auto, inFAMOUS or another open world style game.

I thought I said that earlier. I don't mind the games they are making currently, I loved the last of us. I don't hate linear games. I just don't want them to be constrained to only linear games. Out of all their games, Jak sticks out the most. ND created the first open world game with no loading screens, and it added a whole new content. And Jak and daxter has never really been a cut and paste type game. There are HUGE differences in each game. Jak doesn't even talk in the first one, and he goes total badass in the second. No one can develope a character through a few scenes in a single game like naughtydog did. Not being able to see what he went through, only imagining, and noticing how different he is compared to the first game sets a whole new level of character development. 

Anyways, I wasn't saying they should abandon the whole linear storytelling gameplay mechanics, I just want them to have variety, especially now that they have 2 teams.

Please use plain text.
Message 9 of 9 (99 Views)
0 Likes