Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Aug 01 2013
By: SweetPoison13 MVP Support 11598 posts

UPDATED ** Q&A with the Naughty Dog Development Team: August Edition **

[ Edited ]
63 replies 1928 views Edited Aug 29, 2013

Welcome to the August Edition of this monthly Q&A thread.

If you have some questions that you would like to ask Naughty Dog then here is your opportunity to ask them!

Up until about the 10th of August you will be able to post your questions about The Last of Us or Uncharted 3: Drake’s Deception here in this thread. Usually 10 questions from this thread will be selected and answered by the Naughty Dog Development Team.

Once the replies are ready they will be posted in this thread for your perusal. What would you like to ask Naughty Dog this month?

If your reply contains more than one question or if you post multiple replies in a row then Naughty Dog may ignore your questions.

__________________________________________________________________________________________

"What happened to extras such as infinite ammo, character selection, weapon selection, no gravity, slow motion, fast motion, etc.? Those where extremely fun to use in Uncharted 1 and 2 and the Jak and Daxter games also had something similar." - hjidontknow

We always try to include those kinds of extras in our games where possible, but with our latest games we’ve just been doing so much with the Naughty Dog engine that putting in some of these extras could cause some unforeseen things to happen that would not be awesome to experience as a player. For those reasons, we decided it was best to leave them out.

"[Uncharted 3] Are there any final plans to include (all?) the Block Mesh Maps in Custom Games? It would be a great wave of final support." - runner21

We’d love to add all of them, however we can’t. We’re running into a memory limitation which we didn’t realize we would run into – we’ve expanded U3 multiplayer far beyond our original spec. It limits us to four different Block Mesh Maps in Custom Games.

"TLoU Multiplayer. (AWESOME) A possible PING toggle? More Lobby information on Friends (ex: "In Lobby with 3 Players and “Supply Raid - Bills Town - 7 Minutes Remaining")?" - DOPESTSOLDIER

We looked into things like a ping toggle (as oft requested by U3 and TLOU players) and more descriptive info on your friends, among other things that are on your collective requests lists. However, those are features we couldn’t implement from the start or add into the game. We all have hope that we can include them in the future, and we’ll continue to keep all those in mind as we develop future games, however things don’t always work out as planned. Sorry it’s not there this time around.

"What other things do those of us who hold a season's pass have to look forward to for showing our early loyalty to the title? And how long is the duration of said season pass? Ok so that was 2 more questions... my apologies. I am very enthusiastic about this title and want to know more!" - GOW71

We’re glad you’re excited about our upcoming DLC. I know I am!

The Season Pass will cover the three DLC releases. It already included five difference pieces of exclusive day one items as a bonus who jumped on the train early. We listed those here: http://www.naughtydog.com/site/post/the_last_of_us_pre_order_the_digital_edition_and_the_dlc_season_...

That is not to say that we will only release three DLC packs – that’s just all we have planned right now. That may or may not change in the future. We’ll let you know when we know more – but first things, first! We’ve got a new patch and game mode dropping, and our first DLC drop to work on!

“What exactly is the dlc and when is it releasing? How do you honestly go about selling a season pass when you don't even know what the dlc will actually be?” - SwisherSweetx

We can’t tell you any more than we have revealed already about the DLC. That’s for a few reasons – one of which is just to reveal this information in a way that gets us the most news possible so even folks other than you – our faithful community – find out about TLOU and our DLC drops. That doesn’t mean we don’t know what the DLC will be. We have had a plan for the DLC content from the moment we agreed to have a Season Pass – which was some time before we announced the Pass. That doesn’t mean that the DLC always works out to be exactly as planned – sometimes things end up not feeling as good or as fun as we would think once it’s in the game, so we have to leave ourselves a little room to make adjustments.

"Why was there no information on the TLOU Multiplayer until close to the release date?  Also why was there no beta for the MP? Surely this has had a negative impact for the player pool.  I have some friends who didn't even know TLOU had a MP." - TimeWarnerSux

We hope you’ve been telling all your friends about TLOU Multiplayer – it does sound like you have. Thanks for that. We had to make a decision when revealing info about The Last of Us during development. With our first new IP in several years, we started to realize that it was important to setup the single-player story and gameplay mechanics the best way possible. That’s why our focus was on the single-player aspects of the game until just prior to launch. That also means we couldn’t schedule in a beta – as that would hit during key reveals of single-player info.

“Any news on more MP gamemodes?” - VironZZ

Funny you should ask that – did you check out the PlayStation blog post on the Interrogation game mode that went live today morning? J

Go check it out: http://www.naughtydog.com/site/post/the_last_of_us_patch_103_interrogation_mode/

It comes out with TLOU patch 1.03 – which will start rolling out across all regions sometime in the next 24 hours.

“I sent you an email two days ago requesting copyright permission to have a shirt printed.  I sent the designs as attachments.  Have you gotten a request like that before?  Will I have any shot at getting permission to print?” - Shrek_Wins

I don’t think I recall your specific e-mail right now, but I’ll take a look. As a general rule for these kinds of things – if you’re trying to print any of our artwork or screenshots or anything else that isn’t a wholly original piece of art you created, we won’t be able to grant copyright permission to get something printed. It’s also not fair to the folks we have been partnering with to get TLOU merch made since they run a business.

But – the flipside is, if you or one of your friends can create a wholly original piece of artwork based on our games, that art is yours to do with what you wish!

“Can haz cheezeburger?" - scootgar

Yes?

"In all your games from Uncharted and The Last of Us, why didn't you guys make the Campaigns co-op, despite only several sections of your games truly leaving you Solo?" - Quinzen8

It all comes down to maintaining a tightly crafted experience and narrative. We’ve found all too often that having two player controlled characters means a high likelihood that one of the players would go “off script” and do things that could break players from the fiction we worked so hard to create. That was something we felt enough of a potential negative that we decided to focus on creating the single-player experience, and focusing on continually iterating our friendly NPC AI.

Twitter: @Sweet13Poison | YouTube: Sweetest13Poison

Message 1 of 64 (1,928 Views)
Hekseville Citizen
327 posts

Re: ** Q&A with the Naughty Dog Development Team: August Edition **

Aug 1, 2013

Why have you guys not made the treasure easier to find in the uncharted 3 co-op, thanks if you reply :smileyhappy:

Google+ Facebook Twitter
This is one of the best videos ever, watch it
"I've got the disguise and my pants are on backwards. Nobody will notice I graduated over a decade ago" - Player, "Retro city rampage."
Message 2 of 64 (1,884 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
2350 posts

[ Edited ]
Aug 1, 2013

when can i pick my own character and clothing.

why did you guys assume we wouldn't want to pick our characters

im refering to TLOU

derrick,rose,nba,all,star,signature,sig,lol,nbamixeswk
Message 3 of 64 (1,867 Views)
Uncharted Territory
2120 posts

Aug 1, 2013

What happend to extras such as infinite ammo, character selection, weapon selection, no gravity, slow motion, fast motion, etc.?

Those where extremely fun to use in Uncharted 1 and 2 and the Jak and Daxter games also had something similiar.

Message 4 of 64 (1,857 Views)
Last Guardian
11119 posts

Aug 2, 2013

Is Bill really gay or not?

Message 5 of 64 (1,843 Views)
Lombax Warrior
102 posts

[ Edited ]
Aug 2, 2013

TLoU Multiplayer:

May you add in another faction to... Faction? (lol) Such as the Military?

It would certainly be welcomed. :smileyhappy:

Message 6 of 64 (1,836 Views)
Hekseville Citizen
391 posts

[ Edited ]
Aug 2, 2013

renatabls wrote:

Is Bill really gay or not?

Yes, he is. Neil answered that in Reddit AMA.

Be yourself; everyone else is already taken. - Oscar Wilde
Message 7 of 64 (1,827 Views)
Fender Bender
4263 posts

Aug 2, 2013
How many daily player is playing the multiplayer now?
Rusty. Rusty everywhere.
Message 8 of 64 (1,805 Views)
Uncharted Territory
1571 posts

[ Edited ]
Aug 2, 2013

Do you have plans to improve matchmaking team balance for TLoU?

Message 9 of 64 (1,798 Views)
Survivor
2480 posts

Aug 2, 2013

I missed the Reddit AMA so...

Steven Spielberg and George Lucas once stated that they don't think video games can tell a story the same way a movie can, with characters you care about, one of the reason being that you are in control. What are your thoughts on this?

And by the time you're done reading this, you'll realize that this is just my sig
Message 10 of 64 (1,794 Views)
0 Likes