Mar 03 2014
By: SweetPoison13 MVP Support 12476 posts

UPDATED ** Q&A with the Naughty Dog Development Team: March Edition **

[ Edited ]
34 replies 1598 views Edited Mar 25, 2014

Welcome to the March Edition of this monthly Q&A thread.

If you have some questions that you would like to ask Naughty Dog then here is your opportunity to ask them! Up until about the 13th of March you will be able to post your questions about The Last of Us or Uncharted 3: Drake’s Deception here in this thread. Usually 10 questions from this thread will be selected and answered by the Naughty Dog Development Team.

Once the replies are ready they will be posted in this thread for your perusal. What would you like to ask Naughty Dog this month? If your reply contains more than one question or if you post multiple replies in a row then Naughty Dog may ignore your questions.

Previous Q&A with Naughty Dog Threads:

May 2012 | June 2012 | August 2012 | September 2012 | October 2012 | November 2012 | December 2012 | January 2013 | February 2013 |  March 2013 | April 2013 | May 2013 | July 2013 | August 2013 | September 2013 | October 2013 | November 2013 | December 2013 | January 2014 | February 2014 |

"Hi guys! So When I played Left Behind I really enjoyed the inclusion of the infected and the hunters in combat at the same time. Are you planning on implementing that idea into factions? It would put an interesting twist to combat, being able to pit the infected against the enemy team. Thanks for reading!" - Cathal-O

Thanks for playing and glad you liked the new feature! Unfortunately, due to resource limitations and other technical issues, we won’t have any infected in Factions. There’s a lot of data that applies to the infected and their behaviors. Also, Factions is meant to be a story about the surviving factions going at each other. Infected aren’t really in that camp.

"Hi guys, After The Last of Us is out since half a year now, and the SP DLC is released as well, you probably got a huge amount of feedback. What is the one thing in or around the game (main game, multiplayer or DLCs) you would do differently / would like to change in retrospective? I don't take "nothing" for an answer, there is always something Smiley Very Happy Thanks" - foofighter2634

Hmmm…that’s a tough one. There’s really not much we’d change about the single player or the multiplayer. If we had more time we might develop some ideas a bit further but we’re making changes with our patches that address some of those ideas. Honestly, maybe release the DLC a bit more closely to the game launch? That’s probably about it.

"Would you please consider a Ranking / Ladder system for U3/U4 and TLOU/2 MP? Matchmaking by "level" doesn't always adequately reflect skill but rather time played, resulting in some very lopsided games." – CritRate

We’re always experimenting with ways to optimize matchmaking for all our MP games. Unfortunately, there’s no silver bullet for perfect matches. A ranking/ladder system is a methodology that doesn’t always imply skill either given there are ways to move rank or up a ladder without being skilled at the actual game itself.

"Instead of adding more hats like AK said, why not add a color wheel to all hats? For example, the Baseball cap is by default, black. You can access the color wheel and change the color to pink, yellow, blue, red, purple, green, and you get the point. Some hats could have a secondary color like the headphones. The actual headphones would be secondary; the hat itself would be the primary color. Also if we are picking the default headwear, we should be able to pick which headwear. For example, the Hunters could pick between the hair (no hat), the black beanie, or the hood (Everyone loves when they get the hood) Thanks for taking your time to read this and hope you implement this!" - ExOTiC1234

The look of Factions was something we wanted to have very aesthetically defined and fixed. We don’t plan to add a color wheel because bright colors might affect the gameplay and the tone of the multiplayer. All elements need to be grounded and tied to the game world and its mythology.

"Why did you make so many ridiculous customization items such as the Bird Nest hat for the U3 MP? I don't mind things like an Antique Mask or Bandannas, but a lot of these items make the game look like Team Fortress 2." - RedLegend14

The tone of UNCHARTED is a bit playful and light hearted. We added items that played to those sensibilities. Also, one person’s treasure is another person’s junk…and all that. J

"Will there ever be any figures, or statues of characters from The Last of Us?" – bioshocksurviver

We are working on all kinds of merchandise right now. Once we have something ready we’ll talk about it. In short, we hope so but we need to find the right partner!

"Hello guys, Is there a chance of seeing more content of TLOU in other medias, like 3d movies, or comics etc...? Thank you for giving the chance to talk to you guys." – apollyonpt

Well, The Last of Us movie was just announced so yes! We might have some other stuff in the pipeline as well…

"Will The Last of Us be receiving any type of coop mode, such as a horde mode where survivors fight against infected AI, at any point in the future? Even if it's not a part of the Season Pass, I think a lot of people are interested and think it'd fit this infected apocalyptic world like a glove." - Eternal-CMO

I believe we’ve addressed this a few times but we won’t be having Co-Op or Infected AI in the multiplayer for The Last of Us. Technical hurdles and limits prevent this. Factions was designed to be very different than your standard multiplayer experience.

"ND, when you are trying to add something new to customization? Like gender select at least." - Brunis_97

For which game? We’re working on more DLC for The Last of Us yet. As for the customization for Factions, we wanted it to be random for design reasons and to fit the narrative of Factions.

"Why didn't any of the characters in The Last of Us and Left Behind have any middle or last names? I think Ellie would have meant more if she had Ashley Johnson's name for middle and last in my opinion. Ellie Ashley Johnson is what Ellie's full name would be and would add uniqueness and sentimental meaning to Ashley and to the players. Same goes for Joel, Riley, Bill, Tess, Tommy, Marlene, David and any other characters I left out." - L_A_White_Boy

We haven’t really gotten into their full backstories yet. Ellie and Joel had last names early on but the personalizing of going by just a first name created a nice, strong, memorable connective link, don’t you think?

Bonus Question:

"Let's try this again. Now that the Uncharted 3 DLC maps are free, can you please patch them into the game? And if you make DLC maps free in future games, can you please do the same? The toggle serves no purpose unless you want to exploit match making to find newer players. If that's no good, you could also force players to download the maps in order to continue playing." - SjShane

As your question implies, we’ve addressed this before – we can’t patch maps into the game without moving major technical hurdles. It would be re-writing the entire codebase for multiplayer in some instances. They are downloadable for that reason. We’ll consider this for any future games that have multiplayer now that we have some more resource space available via PS4 architecture. 

PlayStation Consumer Services and Technical Support: 1-800-345-7669

PlayStation Account and Billing Support: 1-877-971-7669

Twitter: @Sweet13Poison | YouTube: Sweetest13Poison | Twitch: Sweet13Poison

Message 1 of 35 (1,598 Views)
Splicer
52 posts

Re: ** Q&A with the Naughty Dog Development Team: March Edition **

[ Edited ]
Mar 3, 2014

Hello! Is there any news you can give us about "The Last of Us: Definitive Edition" on PS4? The demand seems to be extremely high! I know i would definitely re-buy it in a sec!

Message 2 of 35 (1,567 Views)
Naughty Paw
11217 posts

Mar 3, 2014
Are we getting more hats for The Last of Us? I would like to have more hats.

FINALsignatureAK.png

Message 3 of 35 (1,528 Views)
First Son
18 posts

Mar 3, 2014
Will there ever be any figures, or statues of characters from The Last of Us?
Message 4 of 35 (1,524 Views)
First Son
20 posts

Mar 3, 2014

Hello guys,

Is there a chance of seing more content of Tlou in other medias, like 3d movies, or comics etc...?

Thank you for giving the chance to talk to you guys. 

Message 5 of 35 (1,518 Views)
First Son
12 posts

[ Edited ]
Mar 3, 2014

Hi guys! So When I played Left Behind I really enjoyed the inclusion of the infected and the hunters in  combat at the same time.

Are you planning on implementing that idea into factions? It would put an interesting twist to combat, being able to pit the infected against the enemy team. Thanks for reading! 

Message 6 of 35 (1,506 Views)
Lombax Warrior
106 posts

[ Edited ]
Mar 13, 2014

When willyou guys discuss DLC3 ( number of guns, maps, name of skills etc) ... and with that, will the next patch have the burst rifle vs armour buff?

Message 7 of 35 (1,488 Views)
Fender Bender
3384 posts

Mar 3, 2014
The Last Of Us has multiple playlists for the 3 modes it has now, Find match, find match (no parties), and of course find match (DLC).
Right now there are still noobs playing both playlists (with a party or by themselves) and as a game that urges players to work as a team, party or not we don't need another playlist to scatter the player pool any further.

My question is: Will you consider removing the no parties playlist from the game?
Message 8 of 35 (1,486 Views)
Naughty Paw
11217 posts

Mar 3, 2014

Nick-A-30 wrote:

How many Season Passes for TLOU were sold so far?

Or how many people bought the 1st DLC, and how many people bought the 2nd DLC (season pass sales included)?

I'll tell you this right now.

ND will not answer this question. Too confidential. I would change your question.

FINALsignatureAK.png

Message 9 of 35 (1,465 Views)
Treasure Hunter
3390 posts

Mar 3, 2014
Instead of adding more hats like AK said, why not add a color wheel to all hats? For example, the Baseball cap is by default, black. You can access the color wheel and change the color to pink, yellow, blue,red, purple, green, And you get the point. Some hats could have a secondary color like the headphones. The actual headphones would be secondary, the hat itself would be the primary color. Also if we are picking the default headwear, we should be able to pick which headwear. For example, the Hunters could pick between the hair (no hat), the black beanie, or the hood (Everyone loves when they get the hood) Thanks for taking your time to read this and hope you implement this!
"if all multiplayers were just for fun it would be boring."
Message 10 of 35 (565 Views)