Sep 01 2013
By: SweetPoison13 MVP Support 11937 posts

UPDATED ** Q&A with the Naughty Dog Development Team: September Edition **

[ Edited ]
61 replies 1286 views Edited Sep 17, 2013

Welcome to the September Edition of this monthly Q&A thread.

If you have some questions that you would like to ask Naughty Dog then here is your opportunity to ask them!

Up until about the 10th of September you will be able to post your questions about The Last of Us or Uncharted 3: Drake’s Deception here in this thread. Usually 10 questions from this thread will be selected and answered by the Naughty Dog Development Team.

Once the replies are ready they will be posted in this thread for your perusal. What would you like to ask Naughty Dog this month?

If your reply contains more than one question or if you post multiple replies in a row then Naughty Dog may ignore your questions.

--------------------------------------------------------

"I enjoyed playing both the SP and MP.  I recently saw the videos of the creation of all the MP maps and thought the thought processes to be very interesting. My question is: Are there many other maps, supplies (even bottles), weapons (like the axe and pipe) and modes that you plan on releasing in future DLC for both SP and MP? I know there are plans for 1 SP DLC and 1 MP DLC, but I was curious if you were planning additional stuff beyond that." - Swordsman20

We dropped new content like the Interrogation mode already and we are working on the parameters of other DLC as I type this. We’ll be announcing Season Pass DLC content for the first drop when we have it all locked down… and we’re actively exploring to add some kind of additional content to the Season Pass itself a bit. :smileyhappy:

"How long do you plan on working on The Last of Us' DLC and Patches for both Single Player and Multiplayer? I hope you guys don't give up on this game's Multiplayer, and the Multiplayer community would love to receive some information about any upcoming DLC or patches. We know 1.03's Interrogation mode was good and new, but mainly any news about any DLC would be nice even if it's just an estimated date. Or even an elbow of a new costume. Please, just anything?" – CyVirus

Seeing that we’re still supporting Uncharted 3 you can bet we won’t be giving up on The Last of Us multiplayer anytime soon. With regard to the DLC, as we always say with anything we create, it’ll be ready when it’s ready. However we are settling on some timing that will be announced in the near future.

"So, any word about TLoU co-op?" - Albino_Tadpole

For single player or multiplayer? Definitely not for single player as it’s something that wouldn’t serve the narrative properly. As for multiplayer it’s something we’ve toyed around with but we made a very unique kind of multiplayer with Factions that is more team focused than co-op mode would allow. It’s unlikely we’ll be doing co-op for The Last of Us.

"Can you guys bring the lab to The Last of Us?" – lDropDead

Not in the plan right now, but it’s a possibility. What would you like to see? Look to Uncharted 3 labs for what’s possible. We should be able to do most of what you see in those given enough time. This is something we’ll have to look into some more after most of our work on DLC has been completed.

"Any specific reason why a player must die by a special execution even if the attacker is killed? It’s weird that I down the person during the animation and my teammate gets killed by an invisible force." - demonsta500

Once a special execution animation starts it can’t be stopped. You’re going to see it happen since the attacker has successfully taken you out.

"Any news on implementing custom game options?" – VironZZ

We’re definitely looking into this. If it happens it will be further down the road as we’re working on improving other aspects of the multiplayer game right now.

"The Last of Us: Can we please get a better leaderboard? Parts Per Minute is terrible! I'd like to suggest you keep track of things like: Downs/Executions/Deaths (w/ Ratio), Headshots, and *WIN/LOSS (w/ Ratio). Thank you for a great game." - DOPESTSOLDIER

We debate this constantly. There won’t be any immediate changes but also don’t be surprised if you see some shift in the future.  

"Why weren't there any situations in the game involving infected and human NPC's simultaneously? Are you planning on incorporating scenarios like this in DLC or future games?" - Tiphon-Set

It’s something we’d explored but we hit some walls with technical issues. We’re looking into it more as we create the DLC to see what’s possible.

"Short and simple, what was the most difficult part in designing TLOU multiplayer?" – Fakehound

It’s such a different kind of multiplayer that it took a long time to get the right level of fun. We wanted to encourage stealth and tactics and discourage run and gun. That balance took a very long while to perfect…and we’re still working on it.

"A couple months ago, you guys mentioned something about a "hidden gem" for Uncharted 3 that had recently been found. Could you provide us more details about this such as when we can expect it?" - xZerox_123

Don’t want to leave you high and dry on this one, but all will be revealed around our two year anniversary of the game. :smileyhappy:

Bonus Questions:

"First of all, I hate you all. ¡I can't stop playing The Last of Us! Question: Of the 10 workers of the first Crash Bandicoot game, ¿They still working on Naughty Dog yet? :smileysurprised:" - CIausSanAndreas

There’s still three of the original seven Naughty Dogs working at the studio currently. We have a lot of long time Dogs too. It’s a pretty great place to work so people tend to stick around.

"When can we expect a DLC announcement? I still enjoy the game and it's not getting old or anything, it's just the expectation of me knowing there is DLC in the works that makes me want it so bad. The suspense is killing me. Give me a reason to stop playing on Diablo 3 or games on Steam completely like you did with launch, please. It was awesome to finally give my PS3 a workout, constantly having to charge my controllers isn't something I experience often. The Last of Us is the only reason I turn my PS3 on (though soon Kingdom Hearts 1.5 will get me to start the ole' PS3 up) and I love to do it. Love my PS3 and I'd love to have an excuse to spend all my gaming time on it again." - Renegade_angel95

Thank you for the compliments! We’re working hard on DLC and will be making release timing announcements in near future since we now have a clearer handle on what we are doing for the DLC. We want to give you the best possible DLC we can always and especially since it’s our first crack at single player DLC.

Twitter: @Sweet13Poison | YouTube: Sweetest13Poison | Twitch: Sweet13Poison

Message 1 of 62 (1,286 Views)
Fender Bender
2856 posts

Re: ** Q&A with the Naughty Dog Development Team: September Edition **

Sep 1, 2013

Hey, Naughty Dog, what was your input on the Playstation 4? I've heard a lot of developers were asked for opinions on what they want the Playstation 4 (and it's controller and camera) to be, but I haven't heard anything from Naughty Dog, so I was wondering what did you want to see in the Playstion 4 (and it's controller and camera), I'm slightly annoyed about all the complaining questions, so I thought such a question would be interesting to have an answer to, so that's why I'm asking, you don't have to list everything of course, just something very important that you thought was a must have for the Playstation 4 (and it's controller and camera), for instance, Sucker Punch said recently they were very happy with the touchpad, because they could use that very well in their upcoming game inFamous Second Son, so what are you guys most happy with? :smileyhappy:

Message 2 of 62 (1,267 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
330 posts

Sep 1, 2013

are you going to wake any more DLC for U3 or TLOU?

Google+ Facebook Twitter
This is one of the best videos ever, watch it
"I've got the disguise and my pants are on backwards. Nobody will notice I graduated over a decade ago" - Player, "Retro city rampage."
Message 3 of 62 (1,256 Views)
Hekseville Citizen
328 posts

[ Edited ]
Sep 1, 2013

The Last of Us ...

Right after Henry shoots himself Ellie says "Oh my God".  Isn't this out of place--not in Ellie's vocabulary...by her age, situation, and character?  Iirc, she never before or after uses this phrase and I'm wondering what ND's intent was here or if it might be a slip?  Ellie has at least one much more colorful, spontaneous, and appropriate expression (imo) she prefers starting with the letter 'f'.  Please explain.

IMO...IMO...IMO...IMO...IMO...IMO...IMO...IMO...IMO...IMO...IMO...IMO...IMO...

~{Ratsneve}~
Message 4 of 62 (1,242 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
328 posts

[ Edited ]
Sep 1, 2013

The Last of Us ...

Last question modified from its lengthy original:  [It's still lengthy...]

Many gamers seem to think Ellie was prepared to give her life up for a vaccine cure to the infection.  I think Ellie was full of life, practical, and intelligent and very willing to allow blood samples and biopsies for the development of a vaccine but absolutely was not willing to die for one.  Until the last day when the surgeon and Marlene leave their notes that Joel finds and listens too, Joel, who has grown fonder of Ellie by the day, was still willing to help her reach the Fireflies but goes ballistic now to rescue her.

The fact that Ellie didn't have clue what had transpired since drowning only supports my ill feelings of the Fireflies.  Ellie was given no choice because the Fireflies knew, after the unconscious examination that Ellie would not choose to die.

-->  Was it in fact ND's intent all along after Ellie was infected but found immune for her to give up her life so willingly for a vaccine, and if so would you please explain how and where that is known in the story--because I totally missed it?  Why would any 14 year old, like Ellie, have unquestionably accepted this to save what was left of a very mean-spirited world?

If my thinking is reasonably true when Ellie asks her 'on the spot' question to Joel he didn't have to lie to her--all he had to do was sit her down, take the surgeon and Marlene's recordings out of his pack, and play them to her--and watch her turn white as a sheet, softly say, "... Oh f--k ..." and maybe faint in his arms.  ... Camera pans to see tears in Joel's eyes and then to the view ...

[In 33 years of SP gaming I've never had so much fun playing out a game and spending so much time afterwards thinking of it.]

~{Ratsneve}~
Message 5 of 62 (1,240 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
328 posts

[ Edited ]
Sep 1, 2013

The Last of Us ...

It will be very interesting to see if ND and other developers follow suit with other SP stories like TLoU again at the expense of (or rather the profit of) MP gaming that cannot be directly part of that same SP experience?  I for one am still not interested in the MP world even though it looks like MP is still the largest attractor in the gaming scheme.

~{Ratsneve}~
Message 6 of 62 (1,228 Views)
0 Likes
Last Guardian
11235 posts

Sep 2, 2013

Will there be any DLC to TLoU related to U3 or Jak and Daxter?

Jak's goggles... :smileylol:

Message 7 of 62 (1,203 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
2856 posts

Sep 2, 2013

renatabls wrote:

Will there be any DLC to TLoU related to U3 or Jak and Daxter?

Jak's goggles... :smileylol:

please no :/

Message 8 of 62 (1,150 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
2856 posts

Sep 2, 2013

Ratsneve wrote:

The Last of Us ...

From the original description of the Season Pass I was led to believe the first DLC would be the SP one and the 2nd and 3rd would be MP.  Is this still true?

This description, that no longer seems to exist anywhere, was why I bought the Season Pass.  I'm only interested in the SP game.

why do you buy the season pass if you are only playing the single player part of it? a season pass is a good thing to buy if you intend to buy all the DLC, because then you get a discount, now you paid $20 for something that will probably only cost about $10, where's the logic :/

Message 9 of 62 (1,149 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1431 posts

Sep 3, 2013
Any news on implementing custom game options?
>> Multiplayer TLOU: http://www.youtube.com/user/DanViron
>> Twitter: https://twitter.com/VironZz
Message 10 of 62 (568 Views)