Wastelander
674 posts

Re: ** Q&A with the Naughty Dog Development Team: September Edition **

Sep 5, 2013
Any specific reason why a player must die by a special execution even if the attacker is killed? Its weird that I down the person during the animation and my teammate gets killed by an invisible force.
Message 31 of 62 (205 Views)
Hekseville Citizen
328 posts

[ Edited ]
Sep 5, 2013

demonsta500 wrote:
Any specific reason why a player must die by a special execution even if the attacker is killed? Its weird that I down the person during the animation and my teammate gets killed by an invisible force.

[My apologies for interjecting my further thoughts/questions to ND about how I wish they might consider a better way of mixing SP with MP here.]

A perfect example of why you can't mix a great SP story that rockets to the top with MP action/problems that then drag it back down.  This sort of thing is one reason why I don't play MP at all (but so far for one exception)--it would spoil TLoU story it tries to be a part of.

** This is the question -->> ND, which part of TLoU did you enjoy most accomplishing: the SP story or the mandatory MP action and why?

** The rest of this post concerns a solution that would guarantee you how I would play out MP portions of the next sequel -->>  Consider in TLoU2 a SP story where periodically you mix in an optional SP-->>MP side mission where a SP gamer might join in MP action against Fireflies, Hunters, Infected, and/or an Army even.  While this was going on the player would have to lose their identity becoming just part of a 'team' against the foe.  They would then at some point return to the SP story either defeated but still alive or victorious.  The MP portion could be scripted to where the team wins or loses with appropriate recognition given as the SP story continued.

If the MP action is declined the SP gamer would have to replay that Chapter over again if they later on have a change of heart.  I'm not suggesting TLoU2 would become a MMOG at all but you might like studying how Guild Wars 2 manages a Solo player who would like to explore a dungeon or enter into a specific battle.  You could even have PvP battles that I at least would never join in.

IMO...IMO...IMO...IMO...IMO...IMO...IMO...IMO...IMO...IMO...IMO...IMO...IMO...

~{Ratsneve}~
Message 32 of 62 (201 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3484 posts

Sep 5, 2013

@ratsneve: never ruin a single player experience with multiplayer, I'm getting sick of these trends lately, it ruined Need for Speed for me (by blending MP with SP, and ditch the story), and I see that trend with the upcoming Watch Dogs as well, I don't like it, SP and MP should always be seperated...

and in Uncharted 2 and The Last of Us, both the single player and the multiplayer are of very good quality, so I don't see the problem...

Message 33 of 62 (191 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
674 posts

Sep 5, 2013

Ratsneve wrote:

demonsta500 wrote:

A perfect example of why you can't mix a great SP story that rockets to the top with MP action/problems that then drag it back down.  This sort of thing is one reason why I don't play MP at all (but so far for one exception)--it would spoil TLoU story it tries to be a part of.

** This is the question -->> ND, which part of TLoU did you enjoy most accomplishing: the SP story or the mandatory MP action and why?

** The rest of this post concerns a solution that would guarantee you how I would play out MP portions of the next sequel -->>  Consider in TLoU2 a SP story where periodically you mix in an optional SP-->>MP side mission where a SP gamer might join in MP action against Fireflies, Hunters, Infected, and/or an Army even.  While this was going on the player would have to lose their identity becoming just part of a 'team' against the foe.  They would then at some point return to the SP story either defeated but still alive or victorious.  The MP portion could be scripted to where the team wins or loses with appropriate recognition given as the SP story continued.

If the MP action is declined the SP gamer would have to replay that Chapter over again if they later on have a change of heart.  I'm not suggesting TLoU2 would become a MMOG at all but you might like studying how Guild Wars 2 manages a Solo player who would like to explore a dungeon or enter into a specific battle.  You could even have PvP battles that I at least would never join in.

WHOA!!! I was asking for a technical answer. Where did SP come into this? And I don't want any SP/MP blend for any future games. Games like Watch Dogs and Need for Speed can pull it off but for heavy story based games like Uncharted and TLOU, it's better to keep SP and MP separate.

Message 34 of 62 (187 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
328 posts

Sep 5, 2013

Matthijs_17 wrote:

@ratsneve: never ruin a single player experience with multiplayer, I'm getting sick of these trends lately, it ruined Need for Speed for me (by blending MP with SP, and ditch the story), and I see that trend with the upcoming Watch Dogs as well, I don't like it, SP and MP should always be seperated...

and in Uncharted 2 and The Last of Us, both the single player and the multiplayer are of very good quality, so I don't see the problem...

It isn't a problem...it's a question with at least one possible solution that would keep the two separate.  I'm not mixing the two up.  You could keep them separated as GW2 successfully does yet the MP aspect would have direct relation to what's going on in the story at the time.

~{Ratsneve}~
Message 35 of 62 (181 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
328 posts

Sep 5, 2013

demonsta500 wrote:

WHOA!!! I was asking for a technical answer. Where did SP come into this? And I don't want any SP/MP blend for any future games. Games like Watch Dogs and Need for Speed can pull it off but for heavy story based games like Uncharted and TLOU, it's better to keep SP and MP separate.

I'm not trying to answer your question--that is for ND.  I simply tried putting my own spin on the problem of how you could successfully combine the two into one game play while keeping entering MP or not optional.  I don't think anyone is understanding this because we (I at least) always find MP options a distraction from my SP enjoyment...  And I want ND to think on this.

~{Ratsneve}~
Message 36 of 62 (180 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3484 posts

Sep 6, 2013

you can't just adapt multiplayer to work in singleplayer, without adapting the single player to the multiplayer, leave those 2 seperate at any cost...

Message 37 of 62 (176 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
328 posts

[ Edited ]
Sep 6, 2013

Matthijs_17 wrote:

you can't just adapt multiplayer to work in singleplayer, without adapting the single player to the multiplayer, leave those 2 seperate at any cost...

[Edits...]

I totally disagree and feel you still do not fully understand what I am attempting to suggest, but I'm not arguing it further here since the subject is off topic imo and not in the form of a question which this thread topic demands.  What I started belongs more as a suggestion for TLoU2 elsewhere and not in Questions about TLoU to ND for September [--if there even needs to be a TLoU2; or in any new game that would like to try a way of integrating MP action into a SP story environment].  Besides, I think I said enough for the 'thinkers' to see that what I suggested is possible and could still keep SP separated from MP.  Enough has been said too that ND could respond to the idea should they feel like it.

~{Ratsneve}~
Message 38 of 62 (171 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
64 posts

Sep 6, 2013

A couple months ago, you guys mentioned something about a "hidden gem" for Uncharted 3 that had recently been found. Could you provide us more details about this such as when we can expect it?

Message 39 of 62 (287 Views)
First Son
3 posts

Sep 6, 2013

EVERYTIME I try to connect to Uncharted 3 multiplayer it always says "Level Sync Error." or somethin like that.  I need to know a solution, I have also tried deleating the game data and reinstall the patches. So solution.?

Message 40 of 62 (281 Views)
0 Likes