Dec 09 2013
By: ST3ALTHY Splicer 67 posts

Uncharted 4 Open World Game Finally?

29 replies 1940 views Edited Dec 9, 2013

Can we get an open world game for the next Uncharted?  It doesn't have to be a big open world like in the Assassins Creed games it could be something along the lines of the rebooted Tomb Raider.  I think that would add some fresh new tastes to Uncharted's campaign.

What do you guys think?

Message 1 of 30 (1,940 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
2856 posts

Re: Uncharted 4 Open World Game Finally?

Dec 9, 2013

ST3ALTHY wrote:

Can we get an open world game for the next Uncharted?  It doesn't have to be a big open world like in the Assassins Creed games it could be something along the lines of the rebooted Tomb Raider.  I think that would add some fresh new tastes to Uncharted's campaign.

What do you guys think?

I think the freedom in Tomb Raider was great, however, Uncharted is more of a global adventure, in Tomb Raider you were stuck on 1 island, so I don't think it really works, I don't think an open world is a good decision here...

Message 2 of 30 (1,898 Views)
PlayStation MVP
26191 posts

Dec 9, 2013

What is it with the fixation on an open world Uncharated game? Go back and watch Raiders Of The Lost Ark. Indiana Jones doesn't walk around Cairo for two hours saying "hey, anybody seen the Ark?".

Message 3 of 30 (1,868 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
330 posts

Dec 11, 2013

ST3ALTHY wrote:

What do you guys think?

All tho I don't want the next uncharted to be just the same thing again, I don't think that would be vary good for uncharted I. I think that mite make it to much like the last of us (I mean gameplay wise) and I want them to say deferent enough from etch other.

Google+ Facebook Twitter
This is one of the best videos ever, watch it
"I've got the disguise and my pants are on backwards. Nobody will notice I graduated over a decade ago" - Player, "Retro city rampage."
Message 4 of 30 (1,811 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
679 posts

Dec 11, 2013

I’m not dead set against some elements being “Open” but if the whole game was open world, it wouldn’t be an Uncharted game (and as powerful as the PS4 might be, I'm not that interested in wandering aimlessly around umpteen locations).  Having said that, ND surprised me with their implementation of TLoU’s multiplayer so I’m pretty confident that whatever they come up with, it will be a great game.

Message 5 of 30 (1,800 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
330 posts

Dec 12, 2013

CaptainProduce67 wrote:

I’m not dead set against some elements being “Open” but if the whole game was open world, it wouldn’t be an Uncharted game (and as powerful as the PS4 might be, I'm not that interested in wandering aimlessly around umpteen locations).  Having said that, ND surprised me with their implementation of TLoU’s multiplayer so I’m pretty confident that whatever they come up with, it will be a great game.

well said.

Google+ Facebook Twitter
This is one of the best videos ever, watch it
"I've got the disguise and my pants are on backwards. Nobody will notice I graduated over a decade ago" - Player, "Retro city rampage."
Message 6 of 30 (1,795 Views)
Sackboy
471 posts

Dec 13, 2013
IMO Uncharted should stay story based, open worlds game are a big trends but they stories and characters development are not as good as Uncharted IMO. And don't say that GTA have the best story around please...gangtas/mafia already seen story that valorise this style of life...blah...

ND should concentrate on adding gameplay moves and improving graphics even more, and better puzzles and even better set pieces if possible. :smileyhappy:. Those set pieces would not be possible in an open world game.
Message 7 of 30 (1,719 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
67 posts

Dec 14, 2013

Well what they could do is have an open world game but also make the main missions linear.  For example, once you head to the main mission location on the map it will be closed in like a normal Uncharted game.

Open world just allows for more exploration of real locations, what does a treasure hunter do?  He explores, and in some way Nathan Drake is also a pirate.

Also, if Metal Gear Solid can go open world, I'm sure this game can.

Naughty Dog has a good track record too, see Jak 2.

Message 8 of 30 (1,697 Views)
PlayStation MVP
26191 posts

Dec 15, 2013

ST3ALTHY wrote:

Well what they could do is have an open world game but also make the main missions linear.  For example, once you head to the main mission location on the map it will be closed in like a normal Uncharted game.

Open world just allows for more exploration of real locations, what does a treasure hunter do?  He explores, and in some way Nathan Drake is also a pirate.

Also, if Metal Gear Solid can go open world, I'm sure this game can.

Naughty Dog has a good track record too, see Jak 2.

Metal Gear Solid has always been "open stealth". There are no fixed paths. You have several different ways to access your objective in different locations. Even when locked in the cell, you had more than one way of getting out. The difference is that the nature of the game kept you moving forward. Kojima San knows how to do this very well, because he treats the game as an unfolding story and builds from there, not as a location and then trying to inject a story around it.

Have none of you ever seen Raiders of the Lost Ark? Or a Bond movie? Or even a movie like Sahara (despite what you may think of the film I'm trying to make point)? In adventure films the hero doesn't stay in one place for very long, and he almost never goes back to the same place twice. He's always moving forward, and he's not wandering around aimlessly.

The thing is this; using open world as a justifcation to protract the experience, even when it doesn't fit the context of the story, isn't necessarily a good thing. I really think people are getting too caught up in the idea of "Well, I need to get my $60 worth out of the game, and open world makes sure I do"."Linear" is not a bad word, and Naughty Dog knows how to do a linear adventure exceptionally well. Longer is not better by default. If that were true, then at 12,000 pages the United States Tax Code would be the greatest book ever written.

Message 9 of 30 (1,691 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
67 posts

Dec 15, 2013
I'm sorry but comparing Uncharted to movies is a lousy excuse. Uncharted can go open world and if it ever does like Arnold.. I'll be back...
Message 10 of 30 (1,678 Views)