Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Mar 27 2014
By: WuTthEStetevE First Son 3 posts

What is happening to Naughty dog and other Sony studios?

2 replies 373 views Edited Mar 27, 2014

Last of us, veteran director leaves, now Uncharted 4 director leaves,

then Sony lay's off at 3 different studios

What is going on? Im hoping this is not going to affect the quality of the next Uncharted and or Last of us game

Message 1 of 3 (373 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
7 posts

Re: What is happening to Naughty dog and other Sony studios?

Mar 28, 2014
It really sucks to see both Hennig and Richmond go but I don't doubt Naughty Dog and their ability to find new blood and fresh talent. I had my doubts about Uncharted 4 being a holiday 2014 title like was widely assumed but this solidifies it being a 2015 release IMO.
Message 2 of 3 (352 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
28 posts

Re: What is happening to Naughty dog and other Sony studios?

Apr 30, 2014

I would disagree and here's why:

Since ND has been divided into 2 teams, it's safe to assume that the Uncharted 4 team has been working on the game since shortly after the release of Uncharted 3 (released Nov. 2011).  Being a first party studio, and arguably the best studio Sony has, they definitely knew about the PS4 hardware by then.  So assuming that they needed some time to explore the new hardware, make changes to their graphics engine, etc. I think we can say ND has easily been working on Uncharted 4 since Summer of 2012.  With their previous track record, they have been making great quality Uncharted games in 2 year development cycles. which means that their 2 year mark would be sometime this summer.  BUT being better hardware, it's possibly more time is needed to polish more details.  So by this holiday it will be almost 3 years of development which is probably about the right time to release a new game, since the longer you wait the more it costs to make and the more reliant you become on sales.

I understand that many employees are leaving, but some of those were under contract for The Last of Us, some could have been done with their roles on the new Uncharted game, and some could just be leaving because it's the right time to move on.   People try to find explanations for things and tend to always assume the worst, when I'm sure the developement cycle is not reliant on those people at the studio.

Message 3 of 3 (156 Views)
0 Likes