May 12 2013
By: GrayGargoyle Last Guardian 11727 posts

Which Naughty Dog game/franchise has had you brimming with enthusiasm?

4 replies 142 views Edited May 12, 2013

If you're a Naughty Dog fan, perhaps you've been keeping up with the company's history prior to the PlayStation? It's possible you even loved their games when they were known as Ski Crazed or Way of the Warrior? Past history aside though, it's also more probable being on a PlayStation forum that you're closer to Naughty Dog now than you've ever been.

Ranging from their remarkable PlayStation debut in Crash Bandicoot up to their adventurous slew of Uncharted series, what the question today has to do with is which of Naughty Dog's games and/or franchises has ever gotten you the biggest smile on your face? Which series, before or after you've even played it have you told everyone about and had tattoos of the characters imprinted on your back?

Even if you haven't gone to that level of extreme, basically which of Naughty Dog's games has had you howling at the moon the loudest? Did Jak and Daxter blow your skirt up a mile high back when it was launching during the PlayStation 2's early days? Or perhaps maybe The Last of Us is the game oozing cream in your pants from the broken doughnuts you keep in your pocket? Smiley Wink

Message 1 of 5 (142 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3310 posts

Re: Which Naughty Dog game/franchise has had you brimming with enthusiasm?

May 12, 2013

I've always been enthusiastic for Naughty Dog's Crash games, especially Crash 2 and CTR (both are two of my favorite PS1 games). After ND's contract with Universal expired, the series as a whole became decent with high and low points (Traveler's Tales' Wrath of Cortex and TwinSanity were good, Radical Entertainment's Crash of the Titans and Mind Over Mutant were meh).

I don't know why, but I never played the Jak games until I got the HD collection last year, and I was very hooked on the first Jak and Daxter, which is saying a lot since I never had so much fun with a platformer in a LOOOOOOOONG time. I'm on Jak 2 right now, and it's alright so far (the gunfights and vehicle missions are frustrating sometimes). I will get to Jak 3 when I'm done with 2, and I'll consider getting Jak X.

I like the Uncharted series for the fun gunfights (better than Jak 2's) and Indiana Jones-esque stories. I remember first playing Drake's Fortune and being blown away by the graphics that made all the games I played on PS2 and Gamecube look like garbage. And the multiplayer in UC2 & 3 was awesome as well.

Twitter: @XenokingX
Message 2 of 5 (138 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
1934 posts

May 14, 2013

Crash Bandicoot was my 1st PlayStation game and it blew me away as a kid the goofy characters and awesome level design with the fitting soundtracks gave me hours of joy. I got all the original Crash Bandicoot games and it's really hard to decide which one is my favorite.

When the PS2 launched I bought The Wrath of Cortex with it. I played it and it didn't feel as good as as the original games and was quite disappointed that Naughty Dog left Crash Bandicoot behind. Then I bought Jak&Daxter because I saw the ND logo on the box. I was amazed on how smooth the gameplay was with the great storyline and the characters really made me laugh. I started to realize this company is one of the best on the market when it comes to platformers and bought Jak II, Jak III and Jak X as well. With Jak II they brought platforming and storytelling to a whole other level with sandbox elements to it. I probably spent more than 100 hours on this game and it is by far the most challenging and best Naughty Dog game to this date in my opinion.

After this I took a break of gaming and got a PS3 slim in 2009, it came with Uncharted 2 and saw that it was developed by Naughty Dog and I thought this has got to be an amazing game. I was blown away at what gaming had become. The graphics were stunning with the awesome storytelling and action packed cutscenes and smooth animations. I thought the gameplay was decent, it blended really good with the story but if you played Jak&Daxter and Crash Bandicoot you would've expected more challenging platforming. I was actually quite disappointed with it, but the story of Drake&Co made me want more so I bought Uncharted 1 and 3 as well.

As for The Last of Us I'll just say I've already got my pre-order ready because I know it will be amazing. I just hope Naughty Dog goes back to their platformer game roots one day and give us one more Jak&Daxter.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Message 3 of 5 (119 Views)
0 Likes
Naughty Paw
19905 posts

May 15, 2013
Well, Jak and Daxter had me constantly replaying the story modes, as well as running around after the game ended just for fun, but Uncharted has gotten me more involved with the gaming community at large. Jak and Daxter was a great fun game that got me tons of laughs and touching moments, but Uncharted has hooked me longer due to the online portion of it and the community that it spawned. Smiley Happy
Message 4 of 5 (109 Views)
0 Likes
Highlighted
VP of Gaming
30915 posts

May 16, 2013
Crash Bandicoot was my first PS game and the series has always brought back great memories. Crash 2 was the first game I ever beat and Crash 3 was even more fun. Crash Team Racing was my favorite racing game until Burnout: Paradise.

Uncharted is my favorite series of the current gen. Even the online had me hooked and I'm not even a big online multiplayer guy. Also, Nathan Drake is the man Smiley Very Happy
Message 5 of 5 (89 Views)
0 Likes