Treasure Hunter
6584 posts

Roughly the same, didn't hear the option about 2 or 3 sma...

Dec 15, 2011

dannymlufc_ wrote:

MarvelAlex wrote:

Media Studies has taken a slight hit as in every technical problem that could happen happened to me. Camera card wouldn't record. Got new card which then wouldn't upload. New camera and card, uploaded in wrong format. New camera finally works. Have to film after holidays which isn't ideal as I'll be juggling last years term work with exam preparation but I'll be able to do it.

I'm doing my filming in the holidays - can't wait!

Are you doing the same course as me? We have to make one two minute trailer, or two or three smaller trailers. Plus marketing materials, advertising, a webpage etc.... it sounds like hard work, but it's not, it's really fun, because you're creating something.

It doesn't get much better than this!

Roughly the same, didn't hear the option about 2 or 3 smaller trailers. And unless we are amazing at webpages, we've been told to stay away from them as they're hard to pull off. I'm writing for the Radio Times (got this article finished) and also for Empire. 

Message 91 of 241 (32 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
562 posts

Yeah, we had the option to do either a webpage or a magaz...

Dec 15, 2011
Yeah, we had the option to do either a webpage or a magazine article - and we got told the same, stay away from webpages unless you're pro.

Me, being the 'I can do anything' sort of person, signed up to do a webpage :smileyvery-happy:
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
RFFN Website
Message 92 of 241 (32 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
4145 posts

Dec 17, 2011

In my English class, I was assigned a paper that we have almost the whole year to work on (same as last year...:smileyindifferent:). This year was different though, as we could choose to write about anything. I chose video game censorship- might as well go with something I know. :smileytongue:

Spanish is still my weak point. Did horrible on a vocab quiz recently- good thing one grade gets dropped every quarter. I guess it's hard for me to remember 3 years of vocab and grammar on top of what I'm learning now. :smileyindifferent:

What really irks me is that I don't want to take Spanish ever after this year, but the IB program my class got told about recquires you to take IB Spanish or IB Italian. The speaker did mention that there were students who previously chose ASL, and he wrote letters to college explaining that they had already fulfilled the recquirements based on our curriculum. Maybe I can switch over ot ASL and still get credit...

In PoE, my class recently used a 3D printer to make our own Legos. I miss those...so many possiblities.

I also joined a new club at my school- JSA. It's basically a group discussion about politics, media, society, global events, etc. Easily beats Mathletes (which I also do) as my favorite club; the last few meets have been rather bland. It reminds me of a mentioned class by the IB instructor- Theory of Knowlege. The students mainly have Socratic seminars, and talk about why people think the way they do. 

Lastly, I'm a little annoyed that I didn't get my PSAT scores back- seems like everyone else has them already. :smileyindifferent: Maybe they're taking so long because my score is so high? :smileyvery-happy:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Co-op Adventure Tips & Tricks and Amazing Lab Idea- Now with Brackets Mentioning Kudos Count!

Supporter for more sound in Uncharted 3 Multiplayer

Message 93 of 241 (32 Views)
0 Likes
Naughty Paw
19728 posts

I got them back last Monday. 54 Reading, 54 Math, 57 Writ...

Dec 17, 2011

Toxic156 wrote:

Lastly, I'm a little annoyed that I didn't get my PSAT scores back- seems like everyone else has them already. :smileyindifferent: Maybe they're taking so long because my score is so high? :smileyvery-happy:

I got them back last Monday. 54 Reading, 54 Math, 57 Writing. Didn't really study/prepare besides some English class preparation.

Finished exams yesterday, and Christmas break is here. Yay! :smileyvery-happy:

Message 94 of 241 (32 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
4327 posts

Critical Reading - 42 Mathematic - 62 (score higher than...

Dec 18, 2011

Da_Almighty_Guy wrote:

I got them back last Monday. 54 Reading, 54 Math, 57 Writing. Didn't really study/prepare besides some English class preparation.

Critical Reading - 42

Mathematic - 62 (score higher than 85%. Come at me, bro!)

Writing - 47

I wasn't preparing or studying at all like you. I did have impressive score in math. On the other hand, I have worse scores in general English than last year. I finished sign up for SAT and ACT, but I definitely need some luck and help in English.

@Toxic156, I could help you with some works. Last year, I did research on video game violence, relating to the censorship for the debate essay in almost-one year. Here are some good sources. 

http://videogames.procon.org/

Gale Opposing Viewpoint (Present both sides generally)

"Video Games Foster Violent Behavior"

"Video Games Have Become a Scapegoat For Violent Behaviors" (Can't find exact right HTML. It's in Gale Opposing Viewpoints.) 

Columbine and Virginia Tech Shooting may be the strong personal cases relating to video games. Sometime people are overacted and use the video game as the scapegoat.

If you will have a presentation, maybe you can use a video to appeal to the audience... Is this fun, or what? It's just a video game, people.

I hope adult games aren't involved in your essay... :smileytongue:

Oh, I didn't know your school didn't have IB program. Mine have too. I thought about joining the IB program, but I chickened out since it may overwhelmed me with so much work. I'm glad I didn't do it because I made few mistakes that could cost my grades and health this year. 

Hey, hey, hey! I'm deaf, and ASL is happened to be my primary language for five years. My friends have fun using it to communicate with me. My interpreter taught me, and she is now ASL teacher-in-training. According to her, ASL is an official foreign language (probably in northeastern US). It is a visual movement-body-wise language originated in France. It had been developed through history and blended with many cultures. I'm sure you like it more than Spanish. It's like acting out in old silent movie, which my group and I will act and perform silently for Shakespeare scene. It's all about deaf language, pride and culture in own unique community. :smileyhappy:

Clubs? National Honor Society, Mu Alpha Theta, and Interact. 

I'm glad you have fun and learn a lot of new things in POE. I wish my POE class have 3D printer.

Whoo! Two-weeks break without... PS3. :smileysad:

Oh well, better use the time wisely. Anybody have the senior project? I swear I won't take another English class next year just to take another long-term project. Anyway, I have to come up with a story for creating a children's book as a "product" before February. Any suggestions are welcomed. :smileyhappy:

Ho Ho Ha Ha
Message 95 of 241 (32 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
4327 posts

So... how's it goes? :P     This is brand of nonsense. M...

Dec 18, 2011

fadi002 wrote:

Da_Almighty_Guy wrote:

fadi002 wrote:

I start school on Tuesday. I'm going to Grade 10 now... I hope my teachers are nice!

I hated my 10th grade English teacher.

Just be aware of him/her.

I don't even live in the same country as you, I don't think I should worry about that :smileytongue:.

So... how's it goes? :smileytongue:

This is brand of nonsense. My 10th grade English teacher is the best one I ever have in my life!

Ho Ho Ha Ha
Message 96 of 241 (32 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
4145 posts

Dec 18, 2011

FredFai wrote:

Da_Almighty_Guy wrote:

@Toxic156, I could help you with some works. Last year, I did research on video game violence, relating to the censorship for the debate essay in almost-one year. Here are some good sources. 

http://videogames.procon.org/

Gale Opposing Viewpoint (Present both sides generally)

"Video Games Foster Violent Behavior"

"Video Games Have Become a Scapegoat For Violent Behaviors" (Can't find exact right HTML. It's in Gale Opposing Viewpoints.) 

Columbine and Virginia Tech Shooting may be the strong personal cases relating to video games. Sometime people are overacted and use the video game as the scapegoat.

If you will have a presentation, maybe you can use a video to appeal to the audience... Is this fun, or what? It's just a video game, people.

I hope adult games aren't involved in your essay... :smileytongue:

Oh, I didn't know your school didn't have IB program. Mine have too. I thought about joining the IB program, but I chickened out since it may overwhelmed me with so much work. I'm glad I didn't do it because I made few mistakes that could cost my grades and health this year. 

Hey, hey, hey! I'm deaf, and ASL is happened to be my primary language for five years. My friends have fun using it to communicate with me. My interpreter taught me, and she is now ASL teacher-in-training. According to her, ASL is an official foreign language (probably in northeastern US). It is a visual movement-body-wise language originated in France. It had been developed through history and blended with many cultures. I'm sure you like it more than Spanish. It's like acting out in old silent movie, which my group and I will act and perform silently for Shakespeare scene. It's all about deaf language, pride and culture in own unique community. :smileyhappy:

Clubs? National Honor Society, Mu Alpha Theta, and Interact. 

I'm glad you have fun and learn a lot of new things in POE. I wish my POE class have 3D printer.

Whoo! Two-weeks break without... PS3. :smileysad:

Oh well, better use the time wisely. Anybody have the senior project? I swear I won't take another English class next year just to take another long-term project. Anyway, I have to come up with a story for creating a children's book as a "product" before February. Any suggestions are welcomed. :smileyhappy:

Wow, thanks for the sources! I could definitely use those...and yes, I did plan on at least mentioning Columbine. That whole incident gave video games a bad reputation that it's still trying to shake. 

I'm going to at least fill out the aplication for IB- it's worth a shot, and I can also transfer "down" if it's too over-whelming. It does sound like a lot, but a free year/semester of college would be great. :smileyhappy:

I was planning on taking Italian and ASL in my next 2 years (switch after a year) so I could be quad-lingual. Looks like ASL will be first. And yes, the 3D printer is awesome. But you can always buy Legos. :smileytongue:

A children's book, eh? I recommend watching some children shows...really bizarre fiction, like with talking animals. :smileywink: In case you don't want to do that, you can do something about...bunnies/rabbits? Who knows what kids like today...

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Co-op Adventure Tips & Tricks and Amazing Lab Idea- Now with Brackets Mentioning Kudos Count!

Supporter for more sound in Uncharted 3 Multiplayer

Message 97 of 241 (32 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
7371 posts

Well, still in Year 9 (8th grade i think) I don't have an...

Dec 18, 2011

Well, still in Year 9 (8th grade i think) I don't have any important exams to do. 

Although, after Christmas I will be choosing my options for GCSE.

We are allowed 10, with 6 compulsory:

• English Language
  • English Lit
  • Maths
  • Double or Triple science (2 or 3 GCSEs respectively)
  • Geography or History (I'm choosing geog)
This leaves me with 4 optionals, or 3 if I decide on triple science.
The only one I know I will definitely be choosing is Media Studies. I'll need it if I want the career I want later on, and we have also done a lot this year. Without wanting to sound cocky, I have done very well at it. English is easily my best subject.
Then I am thinking about D.T. I'll probably end up doing product design, but there is also manufacturing. Apparently there isn't a whole lot of difference anyway.
Thirdly I'll choose music. I can play an instrument, which is something like 30-40% of my grade, plus the school is already telling me I should do it. They even sent a letter to my house o_O. 
That leaves the fourth option. I am really not sure. It won't be P.E, art or Philosophy and Religion - I know that. 
I am making the most of Year 9. I am dreading all that coursework and all those tests. 

Message 98 of 241 (32 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1454 posts

Fred

Dec 18, 2011

I write scripts for childrens shows and TV.

They love a story maybe about evil machines tearing up a rainforest and the animals who wouldn't normally work together, working together to save their homes etc as long as you put the odd fart gag/toilet humour and clever jokes (kids are very very intelligent these days) then you have your story made.

To make your grade high make it eg environment related etc (politically correct) to draw in the adults too.

If you wan't ANY help at all PM me.

J.

Message 99 of 241 (32 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
6584 posts

I don't claim to be an expert on it but I got a B on Medi...

Dec 18, 2011

samuelcd1997 wrote:

The only one I know I will definitely be choosing is Media Studies. I'll need it if I want the career I want later on, and we have also done a lot this year. Without wanting to sound cocky, I have done very well at it. English is easily my best subject. 

I don't claim to be an expert on it but I got a B on Media for GCSE so if you need any help just give me a shout and I'll try to help you. You don't have an exam for Media until the end of Year 11 and if it's anything like mine it'll be ridicuously easy. Even if you hadn't taken the course you could have passed my exam.

Message 100 of 241 (32 Views)
0 Likes