Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Nov 20 2012
By: Ethintyre Lombax Warrior 259 posts
Accepted Solution

Quitting Smoking

18 replies 267 views Edited Nov 20, 2012

Hey y'all, (insert southern American accent here), trying to pick up on these forums again and I thought I would start by using something that is relatively old but still bugging me. As you've probably guessed already it's my dependency on nicotine.

When I first started it was simply out of curiosity, I figured if so many people were smoking there had to be something appealing about it. Roughly two years has gone by since it became a habit of mine, off and on. The thing is quitting smoking is easy, the hard part is not starting again. I've gotten used to smoking lest often whereas I used to go through a pack of cigarettes in one day, now it takes me a good three or four days to go through one. This means I'm making progress. It's been a couple of months since I've given up using alcohol, which compared to quitting tobacco was like a slice of pie. I think because I was never really addicted to alcohol. Now I have no problems not drinking even if people around me are. I`ve been looking around for "advice" or guidelines to quit, but I end up getting more or less the same thing. "Go for a walk when you crave, drink some water, excersise, keep your mind occupied so your not thiking about it, etc." And it hasn't been helping much. Perhaps some outside perspective would help me. Or maybe some people on the forums have quit and are willing to share their story/thoughts?

Ironically, all this talk about quitting has made me crave another smoke... so off I go struggling to understand why I keep coming back to it.

~Et

Returning to PS3 soon.
Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 19 (267 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
1986 posts

Re: Quitting Smoking

Nov 20, 2012
Find something else to do. I never smoked so I can't really help you. You can also buy those cigars that have water vapor.
Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 19 (258 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
259 posts

Nov 20, 2012

lII-Venom-lII wrote:
Find something else to do. I never smoked so I can't really help you. You can also buy those cigars that have water vapor.

Electronic cigarettes tend to be really expensive, also friends of mine that have used them claim to feel no satisfaction. It seems more of a scam than anything to me.

~Et

Returning to PS3 soon.
Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 19 (248 Views)
0 Likes
Last Guardian
11061 posts

Nov 20, 2012

TL;DR. :smileyhappy:

My mom told me when i was younger that she and almost everyone in her family smoked at some point, she said it was the biggest mistake she ever made, she stopped smoking after she got pregnant of my sister, some of my aunts and uncles still smokes and she says she can't do anything about it, they have to stop.

Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 19 (239 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
16660 posts

[ Edited ]
Nov 20, 2012

I quit cold turkey more or less. I may have had set backs and lit up after a week or so but I didn't buy another pack. Just had that one and stopped again. Chewing gum was probably the biggest help. It's tough and you may find yourself lighting up. Just don't get discouraged. Quit again and don't buy a pack the temptation may be too much. Good Luck!!! :smileywink:

Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 19 (233 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
1799 posts

Nov 21, 2012

I tried a cig once but it burned my throat. I had the nasty taste all day. Im never having another one again. 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

34gau1c.jpg

Please use plain text.
Message 6 of 19 (222 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
996 posts

Nov 22, 2012
I've smoked and I never got addicted, I honestly feel sorry for people who can't function without them.

Most don't feel hungry till they smoke in the morning, and can't relieve their bladder/bowls till they have one. It basically runs their life.

Now I very rarely smoke, very rarely when I am drinking (I try to drink responsibly and so should everyone else) I might have a cigar as the high end ones taste very nice, and smoke can calm my stomach somehow, even though I inhale it in my lungs... I don't get it but I am also intoxicated so I don't get a lot of things.

Getting side tracked but I don't know what to suggest to quit, everyone usually has something to calm them, smoking, drinking, caffinated beverages etc. This isn't really the best place to ask this. Try some other internet discussion made for medical help OR see a doctor. My best of luck to you, I'd like to see less people taking days off their life and wasting money on cigs.
Please use plain text.
Message 7 of 19 (199 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
259 posts

[ Edited ]
Nov 22, 2012

Renegade_angel95 wrote:
I've smoked and I never got addicted, I honestly feel sorry for people who can't function without them.

lol. I can "function" without a cigarette, I just get a little cranky when I don't have one. :smileyindifferent:

renatbls wrote:

TL;DR. :smileyhappy:

My mom told me when i was younger that she and almost everyone in her family smoked at some point, she said it was the biggest mistake she ever made, she stopped smoking after she got pregnant of my sister, some of my aunts and uncles still smokes and she says she can't do anything about it, they have to stop.

"TL;DR." ?

ne1atall wrote:
I quit cold turkey more or less. I may have had set backs and lit up after a week or so but I didn't buy another pack. Just had that one and stopped again. Chewing gum was probably the biggest help. It's tough and you may find yourself lighting up. Just don't get discouraged. Quit again and don't buy a pack the temptation may be too much. Good Luck!!! :smileywink:

Thanks, I'll look into buying some chewing gum. :smileyhappy:

~Et

Returning to PS3 soon.
Please use plain text.
Message 8 of 19 (194 Views)
Wastelander
929 posts

Nov 25, 2012

When my mother quit, she avoided products that contained caffeine for the first few days, because the caffeine made her want a cigarette. She also took up knitting to keep her hands busy, but... uh... that's probably not for everyone LOL!! Good luck, I hope you manage it. You've done really well to cut back from a pack a day to a pack every few days already.

Please use plain text.
Message 9 of 19 (171 Views)
Survivor
2480 posts

Nov 25, 2012

Cold turkey and willpower :smileyhappy:

Good luck

And by the time you're done reading this, you'll realize that this is just my sig
Please use plain text.
Message 10 of 19 (169 Views)