Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
PlayStation MVP
3470 posts

Re: Check out the demo for Ni no Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch tomorrow on the PlayStation Store.

Dec 10, 2012

aodmisery wrote:

i havent played a quality rpg in years (ff13 was not quality) im an old school genesis snes jrpg gamer so when i saw this game i was so excited after playing the demo, the visuals are just so amazing love the world map. but alas the story and characters are just too childish for me (even though i love ghibli) that drippy guy is annoying. and the i didnt care for the fighting mode, (give me characters than can actually attack not this pokemon nonesense) what happend japan you were so good at jrpgs now your mediocre at best. i guess ill have to to wait till the next rpg comes to the states? tales of something??

May I ask what you find childish about the characters?  I mean unless you mean your not interested in playing the role of a child looking for his mother?    But I couldn't really pick up much from the story at all from the Demo, what about the story did you find childish?  I found the voice of drippy to be quite annoying myself and will be playing it with the Japanese voices and hope they did a better job with him than the english dub.  

I don't know about the full game since most of it is still a mystery to me, but in the demo you were able to fight as the main character instead of directing a familiar to do it.  The battle system still worked in the same way though, which is very indirect.  But then turn based battle systems are indirect too as you just tell the character what to do and the character does it in its turn.  So that is the same, except Ni No Kuni does this in real time.  

I still think Japan makes some of the best RPG's myself, I don't see that they've fallen so far as a lot of people think they have.  Most of my favorite games still come from Japan and I love their RPG"s.  But I'm not talking about companies like Square Enix as I find most of what they do uninspired so I'd agree they have fallen far.  But there are still some great RPG's coming from other companies that are less main stream than what Square Enix does, I basically just ignore all of Squares games at this point.   Instead of generlazing about games from the entire country, maybe your just looking in the wrong places?

But I am quite curious as to what in Ni No Kuni you found childish?  I'd very much enjoy hearing you elaborate on that more.

Yes! No! wait...what was the question again?

Please use plain text.
Message 11 of 14 (361 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
11004 posts

Re: Check out the demo for Ni no Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch tomorrow on the PlayStation Store.

Dec 10, 2012

Tales of Graces f is one of the most recent quality RPGs I've played, which comes from Japan. Paper Mario: Sticker Star is another Japanese RPG I've played, and that's also very good. By comparison, Ni no Kuni seems like a fitting RPG. From what I remember of the demo, the Drippy character didn't bother me. I don't know why squeaky characters always bother people. Unless they're badly done then I could see that being a problem, but if not then why the fuss?

Tales of Xillia will be the next game in that series coming in 2013. Ni no Kuni is shaping up to be a promising Japanese RPG, but Tales of Xillia also looks to be making quality for itself all the same. I'd suggest Tales of Graces f if you haven't played it already.

Please use plain text.
Message 12 of 14 (355 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
3470 posts

Dec 11, 2012

GrayGargoyle wrote:

Tales of Graces f is one of the most recent quality RPGs I've played, which comes from Japan. Paper Mario: Sticker Star is another Japanese RPG I've played, and that's also very good. By comparison, Ni no Kuni seems like a fitting RPG. From what I remember of the demo, the Drippy character didn't bother me. I don't know why squeaky characters always bother people. Unless they're badly done then I could see that being a problem, but if not then why the fuss?

Tales of Xillia will be the next game in that series coming in 2013. Ni no Kuni is shaping up to be a promising Japanese RPG, but Tales of Xillia also looks to be making quality for itself all the same. I'd suggest Tales of Graces f if you haven't played it already.

(TALES OF GRACES F SPOILERS)

I really enjoyed Tales of Graces.  The story had a lot of tropes in it yes, but it was so well told and seemed to have genuine emotion and the story went beyond just saving the world blah blah blah.  It dealt with a worlds soul, and got in depth into the characters lives and souls that were trying to save it.  It also dealt with Good and evil in a refreshing way.  The game didn't really have anything that was truly evil it was all different view points.  That is something Hayao Miyazaki does in his movies that I always find refreshing and intereseting.  There isn't obvious black and white but it's all gray.  They think they are doing what is best, even if it is done in a very bad way they are so consumed with this passion that all they can see is a narrow view.  It's a good lesson showing us to always make sure we look outside ourselves and what we are doing to see what may the impact of our actions cause, not just be focused on the end result at all costs.

Anyway, yeah I really enjoyed what they did with the story 

(END TALES SPOILER)

WIth Drippy, in the demo it had nothing to do with him being squeaky that bothered me it was that sort of Jamaican accent he had.  i found it just odd, the voice didn't fit with him being this little thing with a lantern on his nose and the accent just didn't fit with him.  It felt forced, like they were trying to be all funky with him for the sake of it rather than what made the most artistic sense and what fit with the character. A forced personality that wasn't there but put onto him if that makes sense.  

I can't speak for other people of course but squeaky characters only bother me if they hurt my ears. haha.  Or if they are extremely whiny, which also hurts my ears.  A squeaky character doesn't have to have a high pitched shrieking voice that gives you a migraine.  Just putting that out there for all of you who are making squeaky characters in the future.  They should be cute and adorable not a weapon of mass destruction.  

Yes! No! wait...what was the question again?

Please use plain text.
Message 13 of 14 (348 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation Moderator
2673 posts

Mar 23, 2013
Please use plain text.
Message 14 of 14 (196 Views)
0 Likes