By: Beren- Treasure Hunter 5151 posts

Ni No Kuni Wrath of the White Witch Reviews

[ Edited ]
5 replies 777 views Edited Jan 22, 2013

kuni

Tech-Gaming

Score: A-

Link

"While the last two generations of consoles produced a collection landmark role-playing titles, the era has yielded few obligatory entries. In many ways, Ni no Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch evokes a period when turn-based battles made hearts palpitate and earnest narrative was capable of causing heartache. It’s a reminder of the power of the genre, the possibility of future collaborations, and worthy of a  half-decade development cycle".

Trusted Reviews

Score: 8/10

Link

"Ni No Kuni is a hair’s breadth away from being an RPG classic. Between them Studio Ghibli and Level-5 have constructed a fantasy world with the same imagination as you’d find in the studio’s films, and told a rich, involving story with surprisingly sophisticated gameplay. It’s this imagination that makes the game so great, but a dearth of it in some areas holds it back, while some minor irritations don’t really help. A near-masterpiece rather than a masterpiece, then, but still one of the best Japanese RPGs of a console generation".

Empire Magazine

Score: 5/5

Link

"An emotional and impactful journey, Ni No Kuni is a superlative effort that is as much of a thrill for animation and movie fans as it is for gamers".

The Gadget Show

Score 5/5

Link

"A heartwarming story, wonderful presentation, excellent music and deeply involving combat system make for a fantastic experience, and one that we highly doubt can be bettered throughout the entirety of 2013. A masterpiece".

Blistered Thumbs

Score: 9/10

Link

"Ni No Kuni is the perfect blend for anyone who desires a game that is more concerned with sincerity and wearing its heart on its sleeve then being grim or overly cynical simply for the sake of being cool".

ZTGD

Score: 9.5/10

Link

"I cannot stress how much enjoyment Ni no Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch has delivered. From the compelling narrative to the incredible visual design to the incredibly deep, and well-paced mechanics, this is a game with which every JRPG fan will likely fall in love. Even if you are a casual fan of the genre, this would be one I would recommend checking out if you have a PS3. It truly is the best JRPG I have played this gen, and should be remembered as one of the greats for years to come. If 2013 continues down this path, we are in for a wonderful swan song for the current generation of consoles".

Newbreview

Score: 4.5/5

Link

"Ni No Kuni is an irresistibly vibrant forty hour helping of wondrous spectacle, surprises, humour and worthy accomplishment".

PSU

Link

"Overall, Ni No Kuni: Wrath Of The White Witch is a stunning combination of engaging narrative, beautiful animation and engaging JRPG gameplay and, for the most part, I’ve spent a large part of this game with a massive grin on my face".

Destructoid

Link

"If you're a lover of games that require you to put in before you get out, and you recall the glory days of the Eastern RPG, where experience points were the lifeblood and the grind was king, you have literally no decent excuse for not finding a way to play Ni no Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch. A classic of the modern age, built entirely from classics of the past, it's advised you get comfortable, cancel all your plans, and prepare to enjoy a game that will dominate your life for the next few months". 

GameZone

Score: 9.5/10

Link

"Ni No Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch proves that some developers still know how to make a stellar JRPG, fusing old school and new school into something absolutely breathtaking, memorable and most of all, fun".

Gamer Syndrome

Link

"Ni No Kuni: Wrath Of The White Witch is an excellent role playing game and an experience no player should skip, even those who don’t like the genre too much. There’s a lot of quality behind this game and every aspect has been masterfully developed, making the whole package really tight: you’ll love the characters, the plot, the world, the battle system and all the subsystems included by Level 5. It’s probably the first true next gen japanese role paying game, taking the best of the 90s to create a new and unique experience".

Ve3tro

Score: A/A+

Link

"Ni No Kuni is truly a magical collaboration between Level 5/Studio Ghibli, and a clear sign as to why Namco Bandai is still so well known for the role playing video-games it publishes. Oliver’s journey is one that will remain on the minds of many and a real treat that every Playstation 3 owner needs to experience".

GamerFuzion

Score: 8.7/10

Link

"The result is a game that touches our heart. Wrath of the White Witch is a sign that the Japanese role-playing genre still has much to offer, especially if you are prepared with this exquisite artistic paragraphs. Although maybe your child and intimate orientation, or style of play much more “directed” by the argument cause rejection of fans of the sword and sorcery western style."

DigitallyDownloaded

Score: 5/5

Link

"Ni No Kuni is a genuine masterpiece and all-but guaranteed to be the best game released this year. That's a big call since it's still January, but that's how great this game is".

Multiplayer.it

Score: 9.3/10

Link

"is everything that fans of JRPG expected, probably even more, the production value is very high and the title oozes class from every side you look at it".

ITG

Score 9.25/10

Link

"Behind the charming appearance to extensive and well thought out game hide and that is certainly a big compliment for Level-5. See Ni no Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch so please not only as interactive Ghibli anime but more like a hell of a Level-5 RPG in a comfortable Ghibli jacket. We are impressed and hope this game the way to find your console".

Gametrailers

Score 9.3/10

Link

"Level-5 and Studio Ghibli’s collaboration is stunning, honing in on nostalgia and wonder"

Japanator

Score 9/10

Link

"Ni no Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch is, quite simply, one of the most noteworthy RPGs in recent years. Released in a genre that has grown increasingly stale, it pulls out all the stops to blow away any and all preconceptions and show that there is life there yet. But it's not content with just showing it has a few new tricks, no, it demonstrates to us all that it can rival even the most highly regarded games in the genre. I can count the number of memorable RPGs on one hand, so the beautiful and vibrant world of Ni no Kuniis in sparse but good company".

The Sun

Link

"Ni No Kuni will probably take us the best part of six months to complete together, but with this spell-binding story it’s time well spent".

Explosion

Score 4.5/5

Link

"Studio Ghibli and Level-5 have given me exactly what I wanted from their joint-effort JRPG. There’s some beautiful animation, a hauntingly beautiful soundtrack orchestrated by Ghibli’s mistro Joe Hisaishi and a stellar cast of memorable characters"

The Gamers Hub

Score 5/5

Link

"In this day and age of big-budget video games where hype surrounds nearly every product as they all shout louder and louder over one another to be heard, far too many titles fail to hit the expectations they promise. Ni No Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch may not be entirely original in its premise, but thanks to Studio Ghibli’s input and Level-5′s wonderful gameplay implementations, it manages to weave a truly magical and beautiful journey that just has to be experienced by all. It may not be utterly perfect, but it more than lives up to expectations. In fact the only crime here is the criminal shame that it just won’t hit more than cult RPG appeal".

EDGE

Score: 8/10

Link

"Level-5 and Studio Ghibli’s contributions are harmonious. As a game, Ni No Kuni builds upon classic JRPG foundations, eschewing the evolutions of Xenoblade Chronicles and Final Fantasy XII. But the assured flair with which Level-5 has implemented each of the game’s classic components combines with Ghibli’s masterful storytelling to deliver a JRPG that’s quite unlike any other. And while the story may lean more heavily on cliché than Ghibli’s film work, it retains the studio’s innate ability to articulate the mental landscape of a child, and to relate that viewpoint back to adults in meaningful ways. A familiar tale in a familiar genre, then, but this is a game full of youthful wonder, imagination and thoughtfulness".

Official PSM (UK)

Link

"So do me a favour, and tap that guy behind you on the shoulder. Let him know that JRPGs aren’t just for singletons in Neo trenchcoats who count their steps to work. Tell him that the Ding Dong Dell isn’t a special needs school. In fact, just get him in a room with Ni No Kuni, and let its bewitching visuals, accessibility and Mr Drippy do the rest".

Daily Echo

Score 10/10

Link

"In Ni no Kuni, PlayStation 3 owners have good reason to rejoice, and good reason to pity those without a PS3. Lucky owners of the console need this game, even if it means using their Christmas money, their savings, or even selling a kidney - after all, they have two of those. But until now, they've only ever had one world".

Crunchyroll

Score: N/A

Link

"Level-5 has painted a picture so vivid – using music, animation and characters you care about, creating not only a touching but memorable story to be enjoyed by RPG fans young and old.

Heck, this could be the first RPG game you ever play and you’ll remember it for the rest of your life…"

Eurogamer.it

Link

"The wait to experience this amazing experience was long and troubled, but finally the owner of a PlayStation 3 can enjoy unique slap, an RPG of the highest quality and most importantly, the perfect game to unite parents and children in front of the TV "

LaPS3

Score 9/10

Link

"An unforgettable magical journey awaits us in Ni No Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch. The maximum visual beauty and depth of a classic battle system with touches renovated main value is established as a title that gives us the essence of the JRPG".

Gamereactor.se

Score 9/10

Link

"Ni No Kuni Wrath of the White Witch is a huge game, and it would be easy to write a huge review of it. But to be concise, I just want to conclude by saying that this is a wonderful adventure with fairytale vibe, with a gripping storyline. Do you like the genre and Studio Ghibli works do you have a sure winner here. I would also recommend Ni no Kuni to those who, like myself, had a skeptical attitude towards the Japanese RPG".

Videogamer

Score 9/10

Link

"The JRPG's reputation has been stomped on by the loudmouths who dislike the genre, and their scorn has been backed up in recent years by the actual games coming from the east - even the big-name ones. And that's before even mentioning Atelier Meruru. But with one massive, graceful, Welsh-tinged sweep, the combined might of Level-5 and Studio Ghibli has reinstated credibility to a flagging area of gaming. It's taken years of craft and - likely - a hell of a lot of money, but Ni No Kuni is a wonderful, wondrous experience and will keep you captivated and enchanted for dozens of hours".

GamesTM (UK)

Score 8/10

Link

"So beautiful, you can't help but want and expect more"

Eurogamer

Score 9/10

Link

"It's a world where pretty fantasy archetypes clothe heartfelt domestic drama, and where outlandish cartoon creations sit at the heart of an engrossing game, infusing it with their exotic charm. Ni no Kuni wears its Studio Ghibli inheritance as lightly as Oliver does his little red magician's cloak, transporting us from one universe to another with the wave of a wand."

Metro UK

Score 8/10

Link

"One of the best Japanese role-players of the generation and a gloriously beautiful game by any standard, both visually and emotionally".

Stuff.tv

Score 5/5

Link

"Overflowing with brilliance, Ni No Kuni delivers on its promises and proves there is still life in Japanese role-playing games. It’s an impressively deep game but one that is always careful to keep things accessible and fun. Funny and as warm as a onesie, Ni No Kuni might lack marines, blood and fast cars but it certainly knows how to put a smile on people’s faces".

LaserLemming

Score 5/5

Link

"Ghibli and Level 5 have created a masterpiece. An emotionally charged, heart warming coming of age tale that successfully evokes memories from the legacy of RPGs but also creates a solid foundation for their future. I have no doubts that it will be hitting many game of the year lists come the end of 2013 and can comfortably place itself amongst not only the best games of this generation of consoles, but of all time".

Gameinformer

Score 7/10

Link

"Ni No Kuni is a mercurial experience. One minute I was exploring the world with adoration, and the next I was cursing a cheap boss battle. The journey can be fun; I liked collecting and growing familiars and watching the breathtaking world before me, but Ni No Kuni doesn’t come without frustration. Enter for the beauty, but know it comes with a price".

Inside Gaming Daily

Score 9/10

Link

"Ni no Kuni attempts to breathe some life into the classic JRPG genre, and it accomplishes this on many fronts. It reminds us to take a step back and remember what made Tales of Destiny and Final Fantasy staples of our adolescence. Given Studio Ghibli’s success with hand drawn animation (despite the popularity of CGI), it fits that this game is an homage to the traditional. With a heart-warming protagonist, beautifully illustrated world, and addicting gameplay, Ni no Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch is another masterpiece of which Level-5 and Studio Ghibli can be rightly proud".

PS3Ttophies

Score 92/100

Link

"A serious and welcome return to form for the JRPG. In a genre hardly afraid of embracing the idea of magic, the partnership of Level-5 and Studio Ghibli demonstrates that positive wizardry can come from a development tandem. Ni No Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch is a contender for best JRPG of the century thus far and a must buy for anyone with even a passing interest in all things world map and turn-based battle systems".

Strategy Informer

Link

"Ni No Kuni is the type of product that reminds me why I love gaming. We've been treated to a great selection of Western RPGs across the generation, so it's brilliant to see the JPRG alive and well. Not only that, perhaps stronger than it's ever been. Level-5 have crammed this game with scenes that are thoroughly unique and will live long in the memory. So much so, it would be a shame to spoil them. Despite a battle system that has the ability to irritate, Ni No Kuni should be experienced and enjoyed by all types of gamers. January isn't finished yet, and already we have a title that will make it onto many Game of the Year lists. As Drippy would say, “tidy!”

Nowgamer

Score 8.5/10

Link

"Ni No Kuni's storybook style, wonderful characters and traditional gameplay focus on Japan's strengths. This is a JRPG with Studio Ghibli's blood running through its veins and though you might baulk at the idea of grinding or question Level-5's decision to make you wade through so much written dialogue, Ni No Kuni makes the journey more than worth the effort and deserves a captive, thankful and willing audience".

Godisageek

Score 10/10

Link

"Ni No Kuni is a superb traditionally-styled role player, that is carried along by a magnificent story that is the equal of the very best family films, those of Studio Ghibli included. It spirits you away, so to speak, into its stunning fantasy world in those breathtaking early scenes, and does not let go. It is a game full of heart, of magical and unbridled wonder, that has lost nothing in the localisation process, something that Namco Bandai need to be applauded for allowing to happen".

Techdigest

Score 5/5

Link

"JRPGs are a dying breed, with western RPGs and their immediate action now capturing the imaginations of most gamers. Ni No Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch is one of the rare JRPGs of this console generation that manages to capture the spirit of old-school 16-bit titles like Final Fantasy VI while still managing to feel modern and relevant. An enchanting story with an absolutely stunning world you'll want to explore every nook and cranny of, we can't recommend Ni No Kuni highly enough".

IGN

Score 9.4/10

Link

"I didn’t want the game to end. It proved one of those special experiences – like I’ve had with Final Fantasy VI, Wild Arms or Tales of Destiny in the past – where I didn’t want to see the conclusion. I wanted it to keep going. That’s because Ni No Kuni is just that special, and every RPG fan owes it to him or herself to pick it up and see why".

RPGland

Score: Legendary out of 10

Link

"Ni no Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch feels like the second coming of 16-bit RPG classics, with a breathtaking Studio Ghibli exterior and a sublime orchestral soundtrack. The pacing is impeccable. It never slows down, never waivers in the amount of excellence it packs into its experience. There is no “that one part” or “that one dungeon” that drags it down. It turns on the charm, the entertainment, and the fun from the first hours, and doesn’t turn them off throughout the entire duration of the sixty hours you’ll probably spend finishing it. Exploring the world map never gets old, the battle system stays thrilling, and the characters are lovable. Nothing about this game is phoned in. It contains the same elements and same spirit that made so many of us fall in love with the genre in the first place. It doesn’t have a complicated, emotional, life-changing message or story, but it doesn’t have to. It touches a deep vein of nostalgia and childlike wonder".

ni-no-kuni-wrath-of-the-white-witch_hd_wallpaper.jpg

Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 6 (777 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
8466 posts

Re: Ni No Kuni Wrath of the White Witch Reviews

Jan 23, 2013
it's gonna be awesome when I get my hands on the wizard edition :smileyhappy:
Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 6 (738 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
229 posts

Jan 23, 2013

kknd2002 wrote:

im jelly : (  im still waiting for my standard version of the game from amazon. 

To the op, the reviews look good!

Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 6 (733 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5151 posts

[ Edited ]
Jan 23, 2013

kknd2002 wrote:

D: i missed it , i believe Namco missed a lot of money for not having more in stock :smileysad:

But grats it is imo the best CE ever :smileyhappy:

rugi1531 wrote
To the op, the reviews look good!

Ty there are like 4 new reviews but i am really tired lol, also seems that the forums are not as lively as they used to be :smileysad:

Btw the game is on PSN downloading already!

Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 6 (728 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
8466 posts

Jan 25, 2013
^^ unfortunately, it is as you said :smileysad:
Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 6 (657 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation Moderator