Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Dec 07 2012
By: White_oyster PlayStation MVP 3470 posts

Ni No Kuni

7 replies 458 views Edited Dec 7, 2012

I played the Ni No Kuni demo which was exciting to finally play a bit of it after all this time.  The world map is quite stunning in particular.  

Since the Demo is quite short and not much is explained and so there is something about the battle system I found puzzling.  I was surprised to find I could play as the boy as I had thought the battle system was all about directing creatures to battle for you.  But seems you can switch back and forth.   I won't say how long it took me to realize that as the boy you can move around the battle field during battle!  For some reason I got it into my head the player was just a basic director of action such as gaurd or attack and the characters did all the rest.  So as I said I won't say how long it took me to realize that!  

So the puzzling bit is I don't really understand the point of controlling the creature during battle because it seemed pointless in the demo.  It's not like you have two characters with their own life meter so if one died the other could continue.  If the creature dies then its game over.  But he has no healing abilities or access to items, you have to switch back to the boy for that.  

But the boy can attack, use magic, and use items.  So what is the point of battling with the creature at all? It seemed kind of pointless to me.  Anyone have any insight or thoughts into this?

Yes! No! wait...what was the question again?

Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 8 (458 Views)
PlayStation MVP
11063 posts

Re: Ni No Kuni

Dec 7, 2012

I'm sure the game will explain everything when it's finally released. When starting battle with the boss, I noticed the select option right away, but wasn't exactly sure what that was right off the bat. I picked the little helper character first, being able to attack or pose magically for the boss. After dying once with the little creature I tried again, this time switching over to the boy. It seemed as if the boy could do a little more than the little helper creature could. Maybe the creature has its own distinct advantage as well? Though, I'm not sure how this will all work out yet exactly. I did end up dying as the boy too, but naturally I'm just waiting until the game's released to figure everything out.

Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 8 (453 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
25 posts

Dec 7, 2012

On the race up the volcano you can also control the girl and her helpers too. You also have 5 modes (I think) that you can select  from varying degrees of assisting or not at all to try and conserve her and her helpers magic for the final boss. Only tried each scenario once.

I didn't realize you could control her until after I passed the half way point where you can recharge your magic so i don't know if hers got recharges automatically when you do or if you have to switch chars and recharge her yourself.

Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 8 (451 Views)
PlayStation MVP
3470 posts

Dec 8, 2012

I'm sure once the game is out and we play it it will become clear.  I just wasn't sure if I was missing something obvious about the battle system that explained it.  I mean it did take me forever to even realize I could move around the battle field so if I missed that I could miss anything.

DarkFoss I didn't try that part of the demo yet, I only tried the forest gaurdian one.  I wonder who the girl is, I don't remember seeing anything about other controllable characters.  But this demo is showing there is a lot more to the game that I had known.  I mean I always thought the battle system was more like Folklore in the sense that other creatures do all the battling for you and you just direct them, but the main characters can battle as well.  So seems there is a lot more to the battle system than I realized.  

I'm so looking forward to this game!

Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 8 (441 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
25 posts

Dec 8, 2012

Hi White_Oyster,

I played a bit more last night and consentrated on the Forest Guardian. It took me 6 or 7 times to finally beat it using the boy not the familiar/pet. Once you do as part of your reward you get a talking book that has 13 tips on the gameplay covering the basics and touching on other stuff as well. one of the tips talks about when the pet gets tired and needs to be recharged you can put it back in the cage and continue the battle using another pet or your char. I didn't see it available in the Guardian scenario it may be disabled in the demo..I haven't  played the Volcano one again to see if it's working there.

I've no idea who the girl is either. I'm guessing it's someone you 've helped/recruited to join your cause.

Your level 18 in that scenario have more spells and multiple familiars and she does too. The familiars tricks will use your mp.I did die or got knocked out of the boss fight as Oliver but the girl became playable and the battle went on until she was defeated.

Gameplay atleast for me seems a tad clunky but more likely I just need to get more familiar with it..the mix of realtime and turn based is unique to me. I'm going to buy it no matter what love what I've seen so far !

Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 8 (437 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
3470 posts

Dec 9, 2012

Oh yeah I remember getting that book, but I didn't realize it was something you could look at, thought it was just some kind of item needed for spells or something.  I played the first demo up until I entered the city then it ended.  I didn't really look into any of the menus or systems to carefully.  Part of that was the time limit I think.  I wanted to get past the battle and see what else there was before time ran out.

So when the familiar got knocked out of the battle in the second demo you were able to continue as the girl?  interesting.  That makes more sense.  Well seems like the battle system has lots of mysteries that we won't know until the game comes out.  

I havn't found the gameplay clunky, but it is different.  I haven't played a game with anything quite like it.  I suppose the closest is Eternal Sonata where it also has a mix of real time and turn based battles.  But it's use of it is completely different.  In Eternal Sonata each character and enemy does have a turn, then during your turn you can act freely.  With Ni No Kuni you can act whenever you want and your turn basically ends when you have to recharge.  So its a different take, requiring different strategy.  

I'm quite impressed with what I've seen so far of it as well.  I can't get over how beautiful the world map is.  So well done.  Really looking forward to it.  I'll have to give the second part of the demo a try soon.  Part of me though doesn't want to so I can leave most of the game as a surprise.  I was even considering not playing the demo but I couldn't resists heh.  So I probably will give it a try since its draw will prove to strong I'm sure. 

DarkFoss wrote:

Hi White_Oyster,

I played a bit more last night and consentrated on the Forest Guardian. It took me 6 or 7 times to finally beat it using the boy not the familiar/pet. Once you do as part of your reward you get a talking book that has 13 tips on the gameplay covering the basics and touching on other stuff as well. one of the tips talks about when the pet gets tired and needs to be recharged you can put it back in the cage and continue the battle using another pet or your char. I didn't see it available in the Guardian scenario it may be disabled in the demo..I haven't  played the Volcano one again to see if it's working there.

I've no idea who the girl is either. I'm guessing it's someone you 've helped/recruited to join your cause.

Your level 18 in that scenario have more spells and multiple familiars and she does too. The familiars tricks will use your mp.I did die or got knocked out of the boss fight as Oliver but the girl became playable and the battle went on until she was defeated.

Gameplay atleast for me seems a tad clunky but more likely I just need to get more familiar with it..the mix of realtime and turn based is unique to me. I'm going to buy it no matter what love what I've seen so far !

Please use plain text.
Message 6 of 8 (422 Views)
Wastelander
762 posts

[ Edited ]
Jan 13, 2013

The World Map !? Just wow ! I can't wait to be able to fully explore the world in this game !

I was surprised at how tough the demo was, for a game that's been knocked for it's 'cutesy' vibe, the second Boss kicked my b*tt three times straight !

The Game looks like it will be a blend of Dragon Quest & Pokemon,with a little something of it's own...

:smileyvery-happy:

Please use plain text.
Message 7 of 8 (331 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation Moderator
2673 posts

Mar 23, 2013
Please use plain text.
Message 8 of 8 (208 Views)
0 Likes