Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Mar 30 2013
By: tross88 PlayStation MVP 3979 posts

Ni no Kuni familiar taming group guide

[ Edited ]
9 replies 3890 views Edited Mar 30, 2013
In the process of trying to tame everything, I've come across a couple techniques that have helped me snare some hard to name creatures. However, I have noticed that google comes up with next to no tips on how to tame specific familiars. I love Ni no Kuni and I hope it will be enjoyed for years to come. With that said, I can't possibly be the only one who has set out to tame everything possible. Some creatures have proven problematic, and I have often had to engage in countless battles with a certain species before one would join me.

However, I was in the process of taming everything on the sea, when I tried certain techniques that allowed me to get a couple to join me in a single attempt. Then I had an idea. Writing a full guide on how to tame certain creatures, other than to engage in tens or hundreds of battles with them, would be difficult for one person, especially someone like myself who has no desire to try to tame the same creatures over again. But, maybe the community could come together to build one, in bits and pieces. At the moment, I only have techniques to tame two familiars, but maybe others will have one or more tricks of their own to share. Note, some may believe this stuff is pure superstition, and it's not like any of it is going to be examined scientifically for reproducibility, but if there's a faster way to tame a certain familiar, someone may want to know about it. If it worked for you, then post it. Tricks for taming all creatures are welcomed, even for those from the very beginning of the game, because a completionist will be interested in those creatures too.

I'll lead by example with some tricks of my own:

Splisher: As the name implies, try finishing him off with a water attack(resisting the temptation to make a reference to Davy Jones's Locker). The first Splisher I tried it on, went with me.

Kipper: She appears to be sleeping at the start of a battle, and she has an annoying sleep move to boot. Try dealing the finishing blow while she is asleep. While it's a little more difficult, it worked for me, first try. Try wearing it down, using a familiar's sleep skill till it works, then using Little Bighorn's Spire of Fire.

Alright, if anyone has any tips or tricks that they would like to share, this is the place for them.
Message 1 of 10 (3,890 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
11598 posts

Re: Ni no Kuni familiar taming group guide

[ Edited ]
Mar 31, 2013

The only advice that I have for serenading familiars is, "Acquire the Jack of Hearts Merit Award."

Twitter: @Sweet13Poison | YouTube: Sweetest13Poison

Message 2 of 10 (3,855 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
3979 posts

Mar 31, 2013
Well, that does count as something. Advice is advice.
Message 3 of 10 (3,846 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
3472 posts

Apr 3, 2013

I never even thought that there may be ways of taming them quickers.  I figured it was just random!  I haven't noticed anything in particular yet about certain tricks but if I discover anything I'll be sure to post it!

Yes! No! wait...what was the question again?

Message 4 of 10 (3,828 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
3979 posts

[ Edited ]
Apr 10, 2013
After finally finishing two papers over five days, I am back with tips on how to train two more familiars. The first is Bougie, found in Ghostly Gorge, and Tombstone Trail. He has a flame on his tale, which reminded me of an episode of Pokemon from many years ago that I somehow remember. Anyways, I figured he wouldn't want that flame going out, and would in fact, like it to burn even brighter. I thought I would try defeating it with fire, and Bighorn's Spire of Fire attack came in handy again. It didn't work the first time, but my teammates were attacking it too, so maybe Spire of Fire wasn't registered as the final blow. The second time around, the others were focused on other enemies, so there was no doubt that it was defeated by my flame attack, and it worked. Girlfiend, found in the latter half of Tombstone Trail, from the cave area onward, is a little bit different. As the name suggests, try taking her out with a girl. I didn't try taking her out with a female familiar, because the ones I had in my party were too weak, but I defeated one with Esther's Cacophony attack, and it worked on the first try.

That's it for now. Man, you'd think this thread would be a little more popular. I wonder if I'm the only one still playing this game, or if I'm the only one who's trying to tame absolutely every base-form in the game? Oh well, I can't let that deter me. If this information is helpful to even one person, then I'm happy to share it.
Message 5 of 10 (3,795 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
11598 posts

Apr 10, 2013

tross88 wrote:
After finally finishing two papers over five days, I am back with tips on how to train two more familiars. The first is Bougie, found in Ghostly Gorge, and Tombstone Trail. He has a flame on his tale, which reminded me of an episode of Pokemon from many years ago that I somehow remember. Anyways, I figured he wouldn't want that flame going out, and would in fact, like it to burn even brighter. I thought I would try defeating it with fire, and Bighorn's Spire of Fire attack came in handy again. It didn't work the first time, but my teammates were attacking it too, so maybe Spire of Fire wasn't registered as the final blow. The second time around, the others were focused on other enemies, so there was no doubt that it was defeated by my flame attack, and it worked. Girlfiend, found in the latter half of Tombstone Trail, from the cave area onward, is a little bit different. As the name suggests, try taking her out with a girl. I didn't try taking her out with a female familiar, because the ones I had in my party were too weak, but I defeated one with Esther's Cacophony attack, and it worked on the first try.

That's it for now. Man, you'd think this thread would be a little more popular. I wonder if I'm the only one still playing this game, or if I'm the only one who's trying to tame absolutely every base-form in the game? Oh well, I can't let that deter me. If this information is helpful to even one person, then I'm happy to share it.

You can always tell the members of your party to "do nothing" while you farm for items or familiars. This can be very helpful.

Message 6 of 10 (3,791 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
3979 posts

Apr 10, 2013
Is that the "All Out Defense" thing? It is kind of annoying when they get in the way, but that is great advise. Maybe I should organize all of this stuff into a list. General tips can be especially helpful, since they apply to more than one situation. I have noticed a possible pattern with some familiars. It seems that there is sometimes a clue to catching a creature somewhere in its name or appearance. I haven't noticed it with all creatures, but it could very well be there with the others too. More often than not, I defeat a creature, or one of my teammates does, and it just decides it likes me. Maybe there is a bit of a mix, and only the occasional creature is a puzzle to figure out, while the others are all about statistics(x% chance of being tamed). Maybe no one other than the devs will ever know the answer. Either way, I'll continue to try to figure out tricks for taming certain creatures.
Message 7 of 10 (3,789 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
11598 posts

[ Edited ]
Apr 10, 2013

tross88 wrote:
Is that the "All Out Defense" thing? It is kind of annoying when they get in the way, but that is great advise. Maybe I should organize all of this stuff into a list. General tips can be especially helpful, since they apply to more than one situation. I have noticed a possible pattern with some familiars. It seems that there is sometimes a clue to catching a creature somewhere in its name or appearance. I haven't noticed it with all creatures, but it could very well be there with the others too. More often than not, I defeat a creature, or one of my teammates does, and it just decides it likes me. Maybe there is a bit of a mix, and only the occasional creature is a puzzle to figure out, while the others are all about statistics(x% chance of being tamed). Maybe no one other than the devs will ever know the answer. Either way, I'll continue to try to figure out tricks for taming certain creatures.

I’m not talking about all out defense. I’m talking about character-specific tactics. You will need to find them during combat.

Message 8 of 10 (3,787 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
3472 posts

Apr 11, 2013

Yep, under tactics you can give a few orders.  One of them being as Poison said is Do nothing.  Also you can set them to back up, or healing etc.  I actually kind of go insane at the AI in this game, I find they frequently do very stupid things and always get themselves killed or use all their magic very quickly.  I haven't found changing their orders to really be very effective either so I always just leave it on act freely.  Unless I need them to do nothing which I sometimes use if I need to farm for an item.  

But yeah they need some better life preservation skills, it gets really annoying after a while, especially when they all get themselves killed in a boss fight and then I'm fighting it alone and it takes like thirty min cause it's so slow going.

Yes! No! wait...what was the question again?

Message 9 of 10 (3,772 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
113 posts

Apr 30, 2013

good read. nice.

Message 10 of 10 (3,724 Views)
0 Likes