Oct 07 2009
By: glasscut PlayStation MVP 1573 posts

Camera Tips & Technique Question

9 replies 10 views Edited Oct 7, 2009

Okay so i am pretty darn good at this game..( thanks to afro samurai ) I can pull off combo's easily.. !!  i am playing the chapter challenge on warrior currently once i am done, i am moving forward to play the game on the path of the mentor difficulty to unlock the path of the master ninja difficulty.. but the camera always gets me killed ..

Any tips on how to keep the camera from destroying your technique/plan during combat will be greatly appreciated...

mmmig ??

Message 1 of 10 (10 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
2177 posts

Re: Camera Tips & Technique Question

Oct 7, 2009

You should be holding the L1 button to block at all times --- there are no ifs, ands, or buts about this.  It also goes without saying that you shouldn't be standing in one spot for too long.  Use Reverse Wind to get around when enemies are present.  Learning to counter at the appropriate times is also recommended.  For instance, with weapons like the Dragon Sword, Lunar Staff, and Enma's Fang, you can counter straight into an Izuna Drop.

I use R1 a lot to center the camera.  That being said, I sometimes don't even need to move it around and there are times when I don't even center it if there's Essence floating around.  In those cases, I'll do Wind Path (Square + X, then press X again) and then do an Ultimate Technique (via on-land charge --- if you are not familiar with this concept, let me know) or I do a Guillotine Throw.

I've mentioned Wind Run a lot (and really, Wind Path is just Wind Run plus a headstomp) because it really works and it really helps when there are a lot of enemies on screen.  Sometimes, you can jump blindly into things and you're liable to get hit.  When you jump using Wind Run or if you do Guillotine Throw (which is initiated via Wind Run), you're guaranteed to be heading towards somebody --- even if you don't see him on screen.  The move is designed to have Ryu auto-track.  

When in tight spots and you're having a difficult time countering, use Furious Wind to dash out and then do a Guillotine Throw --- or do a bunch of them in a row.  Guillotine Throws render Ryu immune to damage during the move and it can give you the breathing room you need.  The Guillotine Throw is especially useful when there are walls around as there's a high chance of amputation or even an instant kill in some cases.

I'd like to see footage of you playing so I can better comment on the situation.  Where are you ranked in the chapter challenges?  Do you upload your Ninja Cinema?

Message 2 of 10 (10 Views)
Gaming Beast
2177 posts

Oct 8, 2009

mmmig wrote:

In those cases, I'll do Wind Path (Square + X, then press X again) and then do an Ultimate Technique (via on-land charge --- if you are not familiar with this concept, let me know) or I do a Guillotine Throw.

I've taken the liberty to explain what an on-land charge is --- simply for the benefit of those who are not familiar with this technique.  As you all (should) know, you hold the Triangle button to charge an Ultimate Technique and then release the button to execute said Ultimate Technique.  In cases where you have disposed of one or two opponents (thereby making Essence available), Ryu will automatcially absorb the Essence if he is not in a blocking stance.  Since we've concluded that blocking is mandatory, how are you going to make good use of the Essnce floating around if you can't let go of the block button?  The answer:  on-land charges.

By pressing Triangle immediately upon landing from a jump (hence "on-land", aka, upon landing --- see Wind Path above), Ryu will automatically go into the charging stance for the Ultimate Technique and the nearby Essence will instantly be absorbed thereby giving you an instant Ultimate Technique.   Brilliant, no?  

I started playing Ninja Gaiden August of 2008.  My first Ninja Gaiden experience was Ninja Gaiden Sigma.  Since I had never played any Ninja Gaiden game, I predictably got my butt whooped.  I then started looking for FAQs and such and in those FAQs I noticed the term on-land charge.  Anyway, watch this video to see it in action.  This is the same video that taught me to utilize and essentially abuse this uber useful technique.

Message 3 of 10 (10 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
1573 posts

Oct 8, 2009

mmmig wrote:

You should be holding the L1 button to block at all times --- there are no ifs, ands, or buts about this.  It also goes without saying that you shouldn't be standing in one spot for too long.  Use Reverse Wind to get around when enemies are present.  Learning to counter at the appropriate times is also recommended.  For instance, with weapons like the Dragon Sword, Lunar Staff, and Enma's Fang, you can counter straight into an Izuna Drop.

I use R1 a lot to center the camera.  That being said, I sometimes don't even need to move it around and there are times when I don't even center it if there's Essence floating around.  In those cases, I'll do Wind Path (Square + X, then press X again) and then do an Ultimate Technique (via on-land charge --- if you are not familiar with this concept, let me know) or I do a Guillotine Throw.

I've mentioned Wind Run a lot (and really, Wind Path is just Wind Run plus a headstomp) because it really works and it really helps when there are a lot of enemies on screen.  Sometimes, you can jump blindly into things and you're liable to get hit.  When you jump using Wind Run or if you do Guillotine Throw (which is initiated via Wind Run), you're guaranteed to be heading towards somebody --- even if you don't see him on screen.  The move is designed to have Ryu auto-track.  

When in tight spots and you're having a difficult time countering, use Furious Wind to dash out and then do a Guillotine Throw --- or do a bunch of them in a row.  Guillotine Throws render Ryu immune to damage during the move and it can give you the breathing room you need.  The Guillotine Throw is especially useful when there are walls around as there's a high chance of amputation or even an instant kill in some cases.

I'd like to see footage of you playing so I can better comment on the situation.  Where are you ranked in the chapter challenges?  Do you upload your Ninja Cinema?

Wow man thanks..  darn funny i hack and slash sometimes, but looks like i will be giving the above mentioned techniques a whirl mine isn't bad right now, but i know once i get ready to play "Path of the Mentor" I will need to more cunning with my health.. umm yes i got so some video's uploaded.. I have a chapter 10 warrior video uploaded chapter challenge.. i am ranked 160 on that level Smiley Sad 

Message Edited by glasscut on 10-07-2009 05:57 PM
Message 4 of 10 (10 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1103 posts

Oct 8, 2009
This is great stuff.  I've been playing Sigma 1 for a while now and just recently purchased and began playing Sigma 2.  I know this info will prove invaluable on the higher difficulties.  Thanks!
Underground Member since 2001
Message 5 of 10 (10 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
547 posts

Oct 9, 2009
I finally figured out the countering technique and when to strike its still takes a lot of practice to be effective at it, especially when you get to more difficult levels where 4 or 5 ninjas are running at you.The more accurate the strike the more vital your move is.I've killed 4 ninjas in a row with this move.
gravediggaz79>Games:MetalGearSolid4,Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2,Batman Arkham Asylum, LittleBigPlanet,Burnout Paradise,Killzone 2,Resident Evil 5,Street Fighter IV Edition.Resistance 2,Grand Theft Auto IV
Message 6 of 10 (10 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1394 posts

Oct 9, 2009
R1 does not center the camera in the actual story mode, it makes Ryu look in the direction he needs to go to proceed through the mission. ...and also plays a strange chime sound effect.
Message 7 of 10 (10 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
2177 posts

Oct 9, 2009

generalerror wrote:
R1 does not center the camera in the actual story mode, it makes Ryu look in the direction he needs to go to proceed through the mission. ...and also plays a strange chime sound effect.

It does center the camera --- just make sure you only lightly tap it.  Any more pressure than that and it shows you where to go and produces that chime effect you speak of.

EDIT:  

Figured it out --- if you're in motion and you tap R1, the camera centers as needed.  If, however, you're stationary (or not fighting), Ryu will look towards the direction required to proceed through the level.

Message Edited by mmmig on 10-09-2009 04:25 PM
Message 8 of 10 (10 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
547 posts

Oct 12, 2009
Gonna have to try that today, i had 3D objects get in the way of my visual twice last night.I dont' know if that needs to be corrected or if its the players fault for not centering the camera.Does anyone else experience bad camera angles sometimes?
gravediggaz79>Games:MetalGearSolid4,Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2,Batman Arkham Asylum, LittleBigPlanet,Burnout Paradise,Killzone 2,Resident Evil 5,Street Fighter IV Edition.Resistance 2,Grand Theft Auto IV
Message 9 of 10 (10 Views)
0 Likes
Highlighted
Gaming Beast
2177 posts

Oct 12, 2009

gravediggaz79 wrote:
Gonna have to try that today, i had 3D objects get in the way of my visual twice last night.I dont' know if that needs to be corrected or if its the players fault for not centering the camera.Does anyone else experience bad camera angles sometimes?

It definitely happens.  That said, because I'm already aware of where my enemies are to begin with, it's not as big a nuisance as other people make it out to be.  Also, as I've mentioned, if there's Essence floating around, all you need to do is do an on-land charge UT and you're almost guaranteed to hit someone.  When in moves that give Ryu invincibility frames and while blocking, you have ample time to pan the camera even if just slightly.

Message Edited by mmmig on 10-12-2009 11:57 AM
Message 10 of 10 (10 Views)
0 Likes