Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Mar 13 2013
By: SlashZaku PlayStation MVP 41067 posts

Razor's Edge Demo Impressions

4 replies 388 views Edited Mar 13, 2013

Having only played the original/'vanilla' demo of NG3 for a few minutes (never finishing it) and only owning/playing NGS (and NG1 on the original Xbox), this is really my only recent venture back into the series.

First off the bat, what the bloody hell with all the 'projectile spamming' in the demo?  There doesn't seem to be any 'flow' to combat for me cause I'm constantly having to dodge an RPG or some magic blast.  I spend most of my time hitting L1 [+ L Analog] to dash/evade out of the way of a projectile and although it takes a second, it's still kind of an annoyance to get some distance between the enemies on the ground so I can quickly hit L2 to target the shooters and take them down before I can completely focus on the ground enemies but then again, a new shooter will just respawn.  It's just an overall annoyance more than anything and I'm wondering why such a 'design' decision was even made :smileyindifferent:

Getting to the actual combat, does Ryu feel sluggish at times to anyone else?  Ayane's speed is very much welcome (interested in seeing how all the characters play) but there seems to be something off with Ryu for me =\  Steel on Bone is pretty nice once you get the hang of it.  Waiting for an enemy to go for a grab and then hitting Triangle before they can connect to instantly kill them and chain to the next enemy (I'm guessing raising weapon levels lets you chain more?  I can get roughly 3 with Ayane before she stops).  Great way to clear out a group of enemies and I think it gives you some health too (+ the obvious ninpo) which is needed.  Countering seems to be different too, maybe it's the timing.  Game could do a better job of targeting though.  Trying to do some of the jumping attacks (Triangle or Square + X)  in the direction of enemies seems to be a total bust most of the time for me but that may be on my part =\

So far, I like the Skill/Upgrade system.  Everything pretty much laid out right there for you to upgrade with Karma as you choose.  Want to see how fleshed out the stuff is in the final game as far as upgrading.  Normal mode seems fine/challenging enough but I really hope that the blue monks (?) who use the magic aren't that common (in trios) and that there aren't many more enemies like them.  Annoying as sin :smileyindifferent:  Ultimate Technique (holding Triangle) seems to do them in (at least 2 of these per each and if not, at the least, you may remove a limb so you can finish them off anyways) but in general, they're more trouble than they're worth.  I don't think I've found a decent combo that works on them (they dodge out of everything after the initial strong/heavy attack and then 2 light ones), especially with the other 2 shooting you in the back.  Tried the game on Hard mode and these guys just made me want to throw my controller at the wall :smileyindifferent:  Normal will do for me if I get the full game.

Having not played the original NG3 release but hearing how horrible it is, NG3:RE actually seems like a fun game, albeit with some glaring design decisions IMO (the projectile spamming + constantly dodging as a byproduct more than actually enjoying the actual flow of combat).

Message 1 of 5 (388 Views)
Lombax Warrior
226 posts

Re: Razor's Edge Demo Impressions

Mar 15, 2013

Projectile spamming is a trade mark of the series since 2.  There are two types of people that play Ninja Gaiden, people who complain that the camera is bad or blame the game for being too difficult, and people who play on extra hard modes with out any complaints. I'm pretty sure there is no hard mode on the demo. I think it's just Easy and Normal. It's just a true to form difficult ninja game, have you played Shinobi on PS2?

Once you get it, you are just dodging and slashing all over the place and the enemies and rockets can't keep up with you. It helps to watch people online. The only reason the characters are sluggish is because they don't have their full combos. You are supposed to be able to do long combos that are devistating, but you will unlock those later. It really sucks playing with no combos, cause you do a couple slashes and then sit there open to attack.

Message 2 of 5 (379 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
41067 posts

Mar 15, 2013

krumlin wrote:

Projectile spamming is a trade mark of the series since 2.  There are two types of people that play Ninja Gaiden, people who complain that the camera is bad or blame the game for being too difficult, and people who play on extra hard modes with out any complaints. I'm pretty sure there is no hard mode on the demo. I think it's just Easy and Normal. It's just a true to form difficult ninja game, have you played Shinobi on PS2?

Once you get it, you are just dodging and slashing all over the place and the enemies and rockets can't keep up with you. It helps to watch people online. The only reason the characters are sluggish is because they don't have their full combos. You are supposed to be able to do long combos that are devistating, but you will unlock those later. It really sucks playing with no combos, cause you do a couple slashes and then sit there open to attack.

This could be said for any action game, no?  'Normal' pretty much hits the sweet spot for me in most action games.  Not too easy, not too hard where I feel like I should be pressing charges for a lot of the abuse the enemies dish out.  And yes, there is a Hard mode in the demo.  I've seen people say it goes all the way up to Master Ninja, just have to keep beating both missions with the next difficulty with both characters.

Message 3 of 5 (377 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
226 posts

Mar 19, 2013

I meant to say that normal mode is typically more difficult in Ninja Gaiden than in almost all other action games. Which is true to form for Ninja games, another example would be Shinobi. I didn't see a literal: "Easy" and "Normal" option. I saw "hero" and I don't even remember the other option.

It sounded like you said there was a normal and hard mode. I see two modes, and I have to assume they are easy and normal, rather than normal and hard. But I probably just misunderstood you.

Message 4 of 5 (366 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
41067 posts

Mar 20, 2013
No, Hard mode is there and others said the higher ones are too (Master Ninja). I beat both Hero (auto blocking or something) and Normal with both Ryu & Ayane and Hard mode unlocked.

Message 5 of 5 (364 Views)
0 Likes