Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Oct 13 2009
By: SemiSeriousSam First Son 9 posts

Why can't the PS3 use all it's power?

26 replies 48 views Edited Oct 13, 2009
I've played all the new versions of Ninja Gaiden (since xbox) and the PS versions are technically inferior.

I don't understand how a console more powerful than the 360 can't handle as much happening on the screen, and thus causing a lot of slow downs. Especially online.

The graphics aren't an improvement from the 360 version, so i'm at a loss. Maybe it's just the typical case of the PS3 being very very hard to program for since Sony are a bunch of idiots.

I'm used to playing this game (like everyone else) as a single player with everything running perfectly smooth. The Xbox versions would only have the slightest slowdowns during VERY intense moments. This issue is the one thing that would cause me to throw away this otherwise fine action title.

Am i missing something? Is this normal? Anyone have any kind of input on this issue? Cheers.
Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 27 (48 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1339 posts

Re: Why can't the PS3 use all it's power?

Oct 14, 2009

Well I doubt that its the playstations fault on this, its really only a system and only does what its told,  I think the fault is really in the developer for this.   The online is peer to peer connection, know how fast Ninja Gaiden action is, the online is only as good as the connection.  I believe it to be peer to peer connection, and this means upload and download have to be strong.  The xbox version was 585p and the ngs2 is 720p  

Sony is far from idiots.  Look at the reviews for Uncharted 2, 24 perfect reviews, that's almost unheard of in the gaming world. That is Sony only and all the PS3 exclusive titles they are far superior to the inferior system. 

"Crap" Nathan Drake
Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 27 (48 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
1573 posts

Oct 14, 2009

SemiSeriousSam wrote:
I've played all the new versions of Ninja Gaiden (since xbox) and the PS versions are technically inferior.

I don't understand how a console more powerful than the 360 can't handle as much happening on the screen, and thus causing a lot of slow downs. Especially online.

The graphics aren't an improvement from the 360 version, so i'm at a loss. Maybe it's just the typical case of the PS3 being very very hard to program for since Sony are a bunch of idiots.

I'm used to playing this game (like everyone else) as a single player with everything running perfectly smooth. The Xbox versions would only have the slightest slowdowns during VERY intense moments. This issue is the one thing that would cause me to throw away this otherwise fine action title.

Am i missing something? Is this normal? Anyone have any kind of input on this issue? Cheers.

Okay smart guy or should i say cloaked xbot.. i have 2 questions for you 

1. do you know where the servers are for NGS2 ?? 

2. Does sony drive to developers in an armored truck full of cash ?? 

Of course both answers are no.. If you want to not have lag use custom game search and find a guy with a good connection... alot of the things on this game is running of the disc.. unlike the other console.. 

And btw i play my ninja gaiden sigma 2 in 1080p..

Good game.. TC try harder.. 

Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 27 (48 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
78 posts

Oct 14, 2009

Uh, are you joking? Sigma 2 is basically a gen ahead of the first NG2. Let's start with the resolution...

NG2: 1120x585 2xAA

NGS2: 1280x720 2xMSAA

(sources: Beyond3D, the site that tells the resolution of basically every game)

The first NG2 is closer to STANDARD DEFINITION than it is to high-def! Yet, it is on the competitor's "HD" console..

And, not only is that improved, but let's look at the textures...

http://www3.telus.net/public/dhwag/NG2vsSigma_03.jpg
http://www3.telus.net/public/dhwag/NG2vsSigma_04.jpg
http://www3.telus.net/public/dhwag/NG2vsSigma_07.jpg
http://www3.telus.net/public/dhwag/NG2vsSigma_08.jpg
http://www3.telus.net/public/dhwag/NG2vsSigma_09.jpg
http://www3.telus.net/public/dhwag/NG2vsSigma_10.jpg
http://www3.telus.net/public/dhwag/NG2vsSigma_11.jpg
http://www3.telus.net/public/dhwag/NG2vsSigma_12.jpg

http://www3.telus.net/public/dhwag/NG2vsSigma_13.jpg

http://www3.telus.net/public/dhwag/NG2vsSigma_14.jpg

http://www3.telus.net/public/dhwag/NG2vsSigma_15.jpg

http://www3.telus.net/public/dhwag/NG2vsSigma_16.jpg

http://www3.telus.net/public/dhwag/NG2vsSigma_17.jpg

http://www3.telus.net/public/dhwag/NG2vsSigma_18.jpg

http://www3.telus.net/public/dhwag/NG2vsSigma_19.jpg

http://www3.telus.net/public/dhwag/NG2vsSigma_20.jpg

Starts NG2 (top), Sigma 2 (bottom) and goes on that way - or you can tell by the Sigma 2 exclusive character. Pictures speak for themselves I believe.

The framerate in Sigma 2 is 49.5 at the LOWEST, while NG2 would drop in the single digits sometimes.

I've pretty much covered everything I believe. If you're going to talk about gore, lol. It was excessive and it looked cartoony. Plus, the purple mist is better for gameplay as you know when to OT instantly. And if this thread is about the first Sigma you MUST be joking.
Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 27 (48 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
142 posts

Oct 14, 2009

SemiSeriousSam wrote:

troll.....

Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 27 (48 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
9 posts

Oct 14, 2009

Ok Ok, i'm sure i came off as unintentionally bashing the game and console. Believe me that is not the case. The PS3 is a superior system to the 360, my main point of concern was the game performance, that's all. If you guys have played the first NG on the xbox (remade) you know that you quickly get used to split second commands and execution. So even if the 'lag' causes you to slow down for even half a second it seems like an eternity.

But anyway, it doesn't matter anymore. I'll be playing this game until i'm blue in the face, since i love it that much.

Please use plain text.
Message 6 of 27 (48 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1394 posts

Oct 14, 2009

SemiSeriousSam wrote:

Ok Ok, i'm sure i came off as unintentionally bashing the game and console. Believe me that is not the case. The PS3 is a superior system to the 360, my main point of concern was the game performance, that's all. If you guys have played the first NG on the xbox (remade) you know that you quickly get used to split second commands and execution. So even if the 'lag' causes you to slow down for even half a second it seems like an eternity.

But anyway, it doesn't matter anymore. I'll be playing this game until i'm blue in the face, since i love it that much.

Negativity towards Sony isn't acceptable around here, but console wars aside and objectively speaking you made an important point.
First of all Sigma2's resolution is definitely higher than NG2, but unfortunately this causes even more lag, screen tearing, and slowdown than ever before.
It's obvious that one way Tecmo tried to resolve this issue is by cutting down on the amount of enemies you can fight at once.  Just look at the staircase battle, countless enemies are now a mere handful, and even then there is slow down.
GTA4 was not "HD" either, but this graphical upgrade to Sigma 2 was enough to fool people into thinking they are playing a completely new game.  I can only wonder if the lack of blood in Sigma was also a decision made to cut down on visuals, in a further attempt to avoid slowdown.  The particle effects they are currently using are less intensive than spraying blood that actually splatters on the ground (instead of little blood spots here and there).
 We all like this game, but it's unfortunate that no one can talk about what's technically going on here without being bashed like a troll.  It's arguable that this game is superior, but I'm not sure that resolution is more important than the actual gameplay and overall visuals... a port may have better suited my tastes: the same game, with less slowdown.

Please use plain text.
Message 7 of 27 (48 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
379 posts

Oct 14, 2009

generalerror wrote:
              Negativity towards Sony isn't acceptable around here, but console war aside                    and objectively speaking you made an important point.
First of all Sigma2's resolution is definitely higher than NG2, but unfortunately this causes even more lag, screen tearing, and slowdown than ever before.
It's obvious that one way Tecmo tried to resolve this issue is by cutting down on the amount of enemies you can fight at once.  Just look at the staircase battle, countless enemies are now a mere handful, and even then there is slow down.
GTA4 was not "HD" either, but this graphical upgrade to Sigma 2 was enough to fool people into thinking they are playing a completely new game.  I can only wonder if the lack of blood in Sigma was also a decision made to cut down on visuals, in a further attempt to avoid slowdown.  The particle effects they are currently using are less intensive than spraying blood that actually splatters on the ground (instead of little blood spots here and there).
 We all like this game, but it's unfortunate that no one can talk about what's technically going on here without being bashed like a troll.  It's arguable that this game is superior, but I'm not sure that resolution is more important than the actual gameplay and overall visuals... a port may have better suited my tastes: the same game, with less slowdown.

They couldn't port the game, that's why changes or remaking was done. You guys still fail to realize Ninja Gaiden 2 was 360 exclusive. Microsoft were the publishers which means they could not port NG2 on PS3. So, how else would Hayashi circumvent the exclusivity ticker? Ah yes: Since Tecmo still holds the ninja gaiden IP they can release any NG game on any console but as long as it's not 100% the same as another much like NG2. So instead they remaked Ninja Gaiden 2, put alot of new additions, took out some features( blood+gore included) and on paper, it bypasses or loopholes the exclusivity contract binding of Ninja Gaiden 2 to 360. It's a very clever method tbh. Further proof that exclusivity means Zilch nowadays. On paper, not only does NGS2 look like a brand new game, it also looks superior to the original NG2 game. This is Hayashi's version of the game. Itagaki's had his. Why can't you guys just like both games for what they do rather what they do not. Blood and Gore wasn't the main purpose of Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2 but it was for ninja gaiden 2. Both games have differences and advantages over the other. Shouldn't you play both games and appreciate the style they went for it?

Check out my youtube channel, link on my bio or search for Jagr06 :smileyhappy:
Please use plain text.
Message 8 of 27 (48 Views)
PlayStation MVP
1573 posts

Oct 14, 2009

StealthBlade98 wrote:

generalerror wrote:
              Negativity towards Sony isn't acceptable around here, but console war aside                    and objectively speaking you made an important point.

They couldn't port the game, that's why changes or remaking was done. You guys still fail to realize Ninja Gaiden 2 was 360 exclusive. Microsoft were the publishers which means they could not port NG2 on PS3. So, how else would Hayashi circumvent the exclusivity ticker? Ah yes: Since Tecmo still holds the ninja gaiden IP they can release any NG game on any console but as long as it's not 100% the same as another much like NG2. So instead they remaked Ninja Gaiden 2, put alot of new additions, took out some features( blood+gore included) and on paper, it bypasses or loopholes the exclusivity contract binding of Ninja Gaiden 2 to 360. It's a very clever method tbh. Further proof that exclusivity means Zilch nowadays. On paper, not only does NGS2 look like a brand new game, it also looks superior to the original NG2 game. This is Hayashi's version of the game. Itagaki's had his. Why can't you guys just like both games for what they do rather what they do not. Blood and Gore wasn't the main purpose of Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2 but it was for ninja gaiden 2. Both games have differences and advantages over the other. Shouldn't you play both games and appreciate the style they went for it?

Very well put ^^^ and TC your still a troll you posted the samething at gamefaqs.com

Please use plain text.
Message 9 of 27 (48 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
78 posts

Oct 14, 2009

generalerror wrote:

SemiSeriousSam wrote:

Negativity towards Sony isn't acceptable around here, but console wars aside and objectively speaking you made an important point.

There isn't more lag/slowdown in Sigma 2... However, there is tearing and it sucks. It has nothing to do with NG(S)2 in specific though, it's a Sigma Engine problem - the first Sigma had tearing as well.

The enemy amount isn't "cut down" (assuming by cut down you mean heavily downgraded) - it's balanced. The encounters are more spaced out, and there are slightly less enemies overall if you count them by level. However, they also have A LOT more health in Sigma 2. Hayashi knocked 2 birds out with one stone by doing what he did - balanced the difficulty properly and reduced slowdown.

I doubt the blood change had anything to do with performance. They're just sprites lol. Hayashi said that he wanted the game to look more sleek. Plus, it's better for gameplay since purple mist sticks out - you know when to OT. In NG2 every slash you did was.. bloody. :smileytongue: Another possible reason is that it was cut down for Japanese rating. I believe Sigma 2 is CERO D, while NG2 was CERO Z. CERO Z is basically like an AO rating, stores will stock it but they'll be hidden in the back and there's limited advertising (if any.) Which means that a small amount of people (message board users, series fans, etc) will know about it.

I apologize to you and the thread creator if I seem like I'm in "troll-bash" mode (I'm not!), I just take my Ninja Gaiden very serious!

Please use plain text.
Message 10 of 27 (48 Views)
0 Likes