02-09-2013 06:09 AM - edited 02-09-2013 06:10 AM
In an story that came from Australia a few days ago it appears that the Australian National Health & Medical Research Council is going to ban children from blowing out the candles on their Birthday cakes to try to stop the spread of germs to others.
Parents are instead being advised to provided a smaller cake or a cupcake with one candle on it for the child to blow out & the the 'main' cake can then be cut up for the rest of the children to eat, safe from the apparent germs the child was going to cover it in had they been allowed to blow on it in the first place.
It also appears that children are being advised to wash their hands before playing in a sandpit!
Now at first glance these procedures may seem to some draconian, but are they, are they actually a good idea?
Now neither you nor I would probably want to eat a cake that someone has sneezed on, but a child blowing out the candles on their Birthday cake, surely this is a move to far?
02-09-2013 06:23 AM
02-09-2013 06:55 AM
Surely. I believe too much hygiene isn't good for you. Wash your hands before the dinner and have a shower every day ( or every second day like me). Maybe if the kid is sick it's not such a good idea to let them blow the candles.
Yes agreed, if the child is sick with a cold or something then I agree, not a good idea, actually the parents should probably have cancelled any party by then hopefully!
02-09-2013 07:13 AM
02-09-2013 10:43 AM
02-10-2013 10:52 AM
02-10-2013 11:08 AM
I don't know, My niece coughes over the table some times when she has a cold. It's a nasty feeling but I wouldn't know if it's really "bad"