Apr 24 2010
By: rsteele Treasure Hunter 7984 posts

A gamer lounge as a business

276 replies 26907 views Edited Apr 24, 2010

I have been presented with a business opportunity with unlimited possibilities.

While brainstorming this morning I kept thinking arcade, but that really isn't what I wanted to do so I searched the net for Gamer's Lounge and found that there are several of these places already up and running.

My first question is how are they set up I figured several or a couple dozen big screen TV's with different game systems hooked up and a broad selection of games. I've never visited one before so I'm starting with a blank slate.

My thoughts:

I have 2 locations available one approximately 2,000 sq ft and one approximately 4,000 sq ft.

Different gaming areas with big screen HD TV's, your choice of system and game, snack bar and lounge area, wireless and wired internet cafe area, open during the day after school hours and weeknights until 9 or 10pm, extended weekend and summer time hours, once I get an understanding of how all of this would come together I'd be willing to host tournaments and parties.

Several other questions:

Do you think game developers be interested in promoting games at locations like this?

How many different gaming stations along with the other areas could I fit in 2000/4000 sq ft.

What systems and games would people most like to have available?

What age restrictions would I need to impose?

Could I do a family day one day a week with special group rates?

Would any of you visit a place like this instead of going to the movies or an arcade type place?

A cover charge then let them rent the games or just do a straight per hour charge?

I'm thinking this will end up being like a movie/bowling alley/arcade type experience. I'm just not sure how much business it would generate during the week day. I have a feeling that weekends and the summer time would be very very busy.

EDIT:  http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20100424085822AATv5tt&r=w

http://i221.photobucket.com/albums/dd73/rseverclear/Lightemuprsteele2.png

Message 22 of 277 (26,907 Views)
I Only Post Everything
1349 posts

Re: A gamer lounge as a business

Apr 21, 2010

They actually put one about 5 miles from where I live. It's a little to expensive for my taste but it seems to always be busy even during the week. Here's the link to their website.

http://www.playitgamecenter.com/

eagles1990 wrote:No Philly team. Will not watch....
osusoonerdave24 wrote:Gimme a break.... who cares where these hotties are from. I'll watch it. I don't care if they from China, as long as they're hot.
MikeGrim wrote:Exactly. Stop being a homer and watch the hot women.
Message 1 of 277 (26,907 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
7984 posts

Apr 21, 2010

Thank you very much this is what I was thinking. If it works in NC I'm sure it will work in Augusta, GA.

Thanks again.

Message 2 of 277 (26,907 Views)
0 Likes
Keyblade Wielder
9755 posts

Apr 21, 2010

It sounds like a neat idea. I would take a local poll though first to see if the customer base is interested. If only like 15% of the people you ask would be interested it would most likely be a waste. As long as you don't charge too much. I'd go by the hour rather then let's say $20 for the whole day. Because you want to be able to free-up the systems for other people who come in the door. 

Message 3 of 277 (26,907 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3043 posts

Apr 21, 2010

Rsteele, I'm glad you've got a great opportunity going.  You have some good questions and am sure you're already on a good pace.

Few things to remember:

1. Have a business plan.  Not just for the investors and the bank, but it will also help you work on your marketing strategy, helping you stay on track in being competitive.

2. Choosing between charging by the hour versus cover charge, usually cover charge is better (statistically you'll make more money through overall time).  However with that stated, an even better option to have is having the Vendors within the place pay you a commission on the number of people who come in through the door.  Which can easily be counted by door swings, or just a simple person signaler.

3.  I'm sure you're already doing this, but just in case, it would be good if you can find a successful business doing the same thing, find out how they do their process, and then mimick some of the good things whereby also tweaking in your own niche!

Feel free to PM me for any other business questions, I used to be a financial analyst before I got into computer programming.

pierceSig
Message 4 of 277 (26,907 Views)
Fender Bender
3588 posts

Apr 21, 2010
Honestly, I think an arcade would generate better business. I experienced a gamer lounge once that failed because it could not generate enough money to pay for cost of operation.

It's a good idea in theory, but honestly a lot of people already have access to their own game systems. Why pay $10 or so dollars to play somewhere else.

If yo did charge per entry there would be problems with people staying all the time. This would make you lose money because other wouldn't be able to play..and the people who are already there already payed for a day of game play, so you can't kick em out.

An arcade would generate better business I think, because it appeals to a larger audience. Young kids love the games and older people enjoy the classics as well. I see a lot of older people at this one near here who I believe enjoy it as an alternative to gambling..winning tickets to gain a prize is fun too.

If you were able to offer food as well then you it would be quite profitable
Message 5 of 277 (26,907 Views)
0 Likes
Izl
Fender Bender
4051 posts

Apr 21, 2010

rsteele wrote:

I have been presented with a business opportunity with unlimited possibilities.

While brainstorming this morning I kept thinking arcade, but that really isn't what I wanted to do so I searched the net for Gamer's Lounge and found that there are several of these places already up and running.

My first question is how are they set up I figured several or a couple dozen big screen TV's with different game systems hooked up and a broad selection of games. I've never visited one before so I'm starting with a blank slate.

My thoughts:

I have 2 locations available one approximately 2,000 sq ft and one approximately 4,000 sq ft.

Different gaming areas with big screen HD TV's, your choice of system and game, snack bar and lounge area, wireless and wired internet cafe area, open during the day after school hours and weeknights until 9 or 10pm, extended weekend and summer time hours, once I get an understanding of how all of this would come together I'd be willing to host tournaments and parties.

Several other questions:

Do you think game developers be interested in promoting games at locations like this?

How many different gaming stations along with the other areas could I fit in 2000/4000 sq ft.

Would any of you visit a place like this instead of going to the movies or an arcade type place?

A cover charge then let them rent the games or just do a straight per hour charge?

I'm thinking this will end up being like a movie/bowling alley/arcade type experience. I'm just not sure how much business it would generate during the week day. I have a feeling that weekends and the summer time would be very very busy.

Sounds like an excellent idea in theory, but on paper, not so much. I haven't ever been to one of these, so I'm no professional, but here are my thoughts...

• You mentioned several big screen TVs, I'd go with smaller HD tvs and maximize the quanitity, for more gamers, which means more of a revenue.
  • Food and controllers don't mix. This would require completely separate areas for food and gaming.
  • Paying for entry would be easier to implement but would result in people hogging games.
  • Paying hourly would be a lot more difficult to implement (would require specialized hardware\software with timers, or actual staff to enforce it, etc)
  • I think a few stations could be 4-8 screens (and consoles) for multiplayer games where players can hop in and out of already active games.

And now to answer your specific questions...

- Yes, but mostly only if a location is especially prominent and successful, not a small corner shop. You would have to do the promotion yourself.

- This depends, how do you plan on setting them up? Chairs and tv's, arcade-type boxes, could be many different possibilities.

- Obviously the 360, PS3, and the Wii... maybe the Wii could be in a more isolated enviornment for smaller children (yes, I'm aware that adults play it as well, but the kids would be the money makers for the Wii)

- Going with what I just said, this would depend on the ratings issue, which would be a big problem in itself... perhaps a 17+ section for rated M games, and another section for rated E-T games (this is where it could get complicated, would it even be legal to allow that, would you need parents explicit premission like in movie theaters, etc)

- Of course you could if it was your own business... maybe a less popular day (not the weekend, or maybe sunday afternoon or something)

- Probably not. Gaming is becoming increasingly cheaper, and most will just game from home.

I would definitely suggest visits to numerous locations similar to what you want to make before making the decision.

Message 6 of 277 (26,907 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
7984 posts

Apr 22, 2010

I've only had a couple of hours to research and already appreciate all of you guys' advice.

-I've noticed most of the TV's are 28-36" in size and some places had larger screens for group games like Rockband.

-LAN, 1v1, and other types of tourneys would draw the players in.

-Other types of entertainment such as an air hockey table/pool table appear in several locations.

-The choice between an hourly charge or a day pass for $20-$25 should be the customers.

-Food and drink areas would be completely separate.

-The xbox 360s and PS3s would be in one area and the Wii would be in another space more open for all the movement.

I'd like to server like pizza I wonder if a local papa johns would deliver X number of pizzas per day and then I could sell them by the slice. I wonder what other local merchants would co-advertise any local game stores, movie theaters, and electronics stores cut deals for my customers and I return the favor. Such as a movie stub gets you a free hour of game time or one of my receipts gets you a small pop corn.

I already have costumers haha...

My idea is to have a separate area for the gaming, food, internet cafe, but in one location. I think Augusta is a perfect place for this type of entertainment we have Fort Gordon military base and several local colleges to supply the customer base that's not counting the teens and grade school kids. I've looked at several of the locations for different chains and privately owned gaming establishments and plan on speaking with at least some of the managers there to see how busy they are and what some of there most common problems are. If a business can compete with movie theaters and bowling alleys in price people are always looking for new forms of entertainment. I plan to do much more research and if at any point the outlook becomes bleak to me then I will move on to another opportunity,

Message 7 of 277 (26,907 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
2111 posts

Apr 22, 2010
I think it would be pretty cool, although you would need some awesome security since there is going to be expensive stuff there. Like security cameras everywhere, like 30 locks, and a very very nice alarm system.

Also, i just thought i would throw this in for fun, but arcade machines cost lots of money (ALMOST 900 per machine) well for the newer (AND BETTER) ones anyways.
Message 8 of 277 (26,907 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1349 posts

Apr 22, 2010

No doubt Augusta would have enough people. The site I gave you has two places in two seperate cities that combined still wouldn't equal the # of people in Augusta. It just may get a little costly, but if you have the capital no reason it can't happen.

eagles1990 wrote:No Philly team. Will not watch....
osusoonerdave24 wrote:Gimme a break.... who cares where these hotties are from. I'll watch it. I don't care if they from China, as long as they're hot.
MikeGrim wrote:Exactly. Stop being a homer and watch the hot women.
Message 9 of 277 (26,907 Views)
0 Likes