Treasure Hunter
6217 posts

Re: Am i the only kid whos allowed to play M?

Apr 8, 2013

HorrorGod wrote:

And if you were a parent, that would totally be your right... note, a horrible parenting move, but still, your right.

You are legally considered an adult at the age of 18. That is the big difference between 17 and 18. Other than that, nothing.

The same nothing that separates 12 & 13.

My point is, every parent draws their own lines. From my own experience I can say that I think 13 is quite reasonable age to let your kids play other games than LittleBigPlanet. And that there is a big gap between childhood and youth. 

Message 51 of 66 (99 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
33023 posts

Apr 8, 2013

HorrorGod wrote:

ID-69 wrote:

Why can't a 17-year-old buy beer, drive a car, buy a pack of cigarettes? The law (here) says you must be 18 or older to do so. Still, what's the difference between a 17 and 18 year old? I'd say 12&13 difference is bigger than 17&18.

You gotta draw a line somewhere right, and someone here suggested it's 13. Why do you have to be sarcastic about it? 

You just answered your own rhetorical question. The difference between 17 and 18 is the law.

EDIT:

Where the heck do you live? You're able to drink, but not get a license, until 18?

Drinking age here (California) is 21. You can get your license at 16.

I'm fully aware there are states that have the legal drinking age at 18.. but no license until 18?

its pretty stupid that the drinking age is 21. it should be at 18.

at 18 one is a legal adult and can even join the army and die for their country, but they arent allowed to drink a beer or they will go to jail. AMERICA! :smileyvery-happy:

Message 52 of 66 (98 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
17404 posts

Apr 8, 2013

the_original_se wrote:

HorrorGod wrote:

ID-69 wrote:

Why can't a 17-year-old buy beer, drive a car, buy a pack of cigarettes? The law (here) says you must be 18 or older to do so. Still, what's the difference between a 17 and 18 year old? I'd say 12&13 difference is bigger than 17&18.

You gotta draw a line somewhere right, and someone here suggested it's 13. Why do you have to be sarcastic about it? 

You just answered your own rhetorical question. The difference between 17 and 18 is the law.

EDIT:

Where the heck do you live? You're able to drink, but not get a license, until 18?

I'm fully aware there are states that have the legal drinking age at 18.. but no license until 18?

its pretty stupid that the drinking age is 21. it should be at 18.

at 18 one is a legal adult and can even join the army and die for their country, but they arent allowed to drink a beer or they will go to jail. AMERICA! :smileyvery-happy:

I wouldnt say thats a terribly fair comparison, at 18 im willing to bet there is virtually nobody with good enough judgement to drink responsibly, considering 21+ people pretty much dont excercise reasonalbe decision making. As it stands, the military is optional and they control and train you. Its a bit different. Although I can see what you're saying.

Message 53 of 66 (94 Views)
PlayStation MVP
4234 posts

[ Edited ]
Apr 9, 2013

ID-69 wrote:

HorrorGod wrote:

And if you were a parent, that would totally be your right... note, a horrible parenting move, but still, your right.

You are legally considered an adult at the age of 18. That is the big difference between 17 and 18. Other than that, nothing.

The same nothing that separates 12 & 13.

My point is, every parent draws their own lines. From my own experience I can say that I think 13 is quite reasonable age to let your kids play other games than LittleBigPlanet. And that there is a big gap between childhood and youth. 

I wasn't arguing that a parent does not have a right to choose when to allow their kids to play violent video games.

I was arguing that there isn't a big difference between 12 & 13.

People have different perspectives on what they consider "childhood." And a teenager's response would be much different to that of an older person.12/13 are both preadolescence, in my opinion. A 13 year old isn't suddenly more mentally developed over a 12 year old, in the course of a year.

But, if that is the age a parent says they will allow their kid to play "M" rated games, it's their prerogative.

"You must make a friend of horror. Horror and moral terror are your friends. If they are not then they are enemies to be feared."

Message 54 of 66 (87 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
6217 posts

Apr 8, 2013

HorrorGod wrote:

ID-69 wrote:

HorrorGod wrote:

And if you were a parent, that would totally be your right... note, a horrible parenting move, but still, your right.

You are legally considered an adult at the age of 18. That is the big difference between 17 and 18. Other than that, nothing.

The same nothing that separates 12 & 13.

My point is, every parent draws their own lines. From my own experience I can say that I think 13 is quite reasonable age to let your kids play other games than LittleBigPlanet. And that there is a big gap between childhood and youth. 

I wasn't arguing that a parent does not have a right to choose when to allow their kids to play violent video games.

People have different perspectives on what they consider "childhood." And a teenager's response would be much different to that of an older person.12/13 are both adolescence, in my opinion. A 13 year old isn't suddenly more mentally developed over a 12 year old, in the course of a year.

But, if that is the age a parent says they will allow their kid to play "M" rated games, it's their prerogative.

Haha, I wasn't arguing there's a big difference between 12 & 13, but between childhood ( play & school age?) and adolescence ( starting from puberty ). And it usually happens around the ages of 12 and 13. 

Message 55 of 66 (71 Views)
0 Likes
VP of Gaming
31706 posts

Apr 8, 2013

ID-69 wrote:

HorrorGod wrote:

ID-69 wrote:

If I was a parent, I'd make the laws in my house. I could let my underaged child have some beer and play some violent games before turning 18. So it's not about the law. 

HorrorGod wrote:

EDIT:

Europe. I like this community better than the European one. 

Europe or the UK, actually which country, or would you rather not say?

BRIT-KO

Message 56 of 66 (62 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
6217 posts

[ Edited ]
Apr 8, 2013

Look at my sig for Pete's sake. :smileylol: ( Bottom left-hand corner )

Message 57 of 66 (56 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
4234 posts

[ Edited ]
Apr 9, 2013

HorrorGod wrote:

ID-69 wrote:

HorrorGod wrote:

ID-69 wrote:

You just answered your own rhetorical question. The difference between 17 and 18 is the law.

If I was a parent, I'd make the laws in my house. I could let my underaged child have some beer and play some violent games before turning 18. So it's not about the law. 

And if you were a parent, that would totally be your right... note, a horrible parenting move, but still, your right.

You are legally considered an adult at the age of 18. That is the big difference between 17 and 18. Other than that, nothing.

The same nothing that separates 12 & 13.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________

ID-69 wrote:

People have different perspectives on what they consider "childhood." And a teenager's response would be much different to that of an older person.12/13 are both preadolescence, in my opinion. A 13 year old isn't suddenly more mentally developed over a 12 year old, in the course of a year.

Haha, I wasn't arguing there's a big difference between 12 & 13, but between childhood ( play & school age?) and adolescence ( starting from puberty ). And it usually happens around the ages of 12 and 13. 

NF

"You must make a friend of horror. Horror and moral terror are your friends. If they are not then they are enemies to be feared."

Message 58 of 66 (55 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
6217 posts

[ Edited ]
Apr 8, 2013

Now you're taking my writings out of context by underlining those two sentences making it look like I'm contradicting myself. Read it all one more time. 

Message 59 of 66 (51 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
4234 posts

[ Edited ]
Apr 8, 2013

ID-69 wrote:

Now you're taking my writings out of context by underlining those two sentences making it look like I'm contradicting myself. Read it all one more time. 

Maybe we're just not understanding each other than. Please, elaborate.

Why is it you believe the gap between 12/13 and bigger than 17/18?

And why 13 is a better age to play "M" rated games (that are recommended for 17+) than age 12?

Message 60 of 66 (45 Views)
0 Likes