Platinum
55190 posts

Re: Americans, Your Favorite President?

Dec 2, 2013

Da_Almighty_Guy wrote:
Franklin Roosevelt

You can't help but think of how much this guy did with such a glaring problem behind the scenes the entire time. This guy helped pulled the US out of a severe depression and led the country through the majority of World War II. All the while, he had polio and was hiding it from every single American in the country. He'd hide his disability and give America confidence that it would succeed in the tough times he was president in.

He died in office, but FDR was the president many Americans would undoubtedly vote in many many times because of how great he was.

There are several other great presidents, like Lincoln, but FDR takes the grand prize for me.

I have trouble supporting a guy who rounded up Japanese Americans and put them in inernment camps.....btw the war, not the politicians, ended the depression.  

Message 61 of 80 (78 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
180 posts

Dec 2, 2013

Da_Almighty_Guy wrote:
Franklin Roosevelt

You can't help but think of how much this guy did with such a glaring problem behind the scenes the entire time. This guy helped pulled the US out of a severe depression and led the country through the majority of World War II. All the while, he had polio and was hiding it from every single American in the country. He'd hide his disability and give America confidence that it would succeed in the tough times he was president in.

He died in office, but FDR was the president many Americans would undoubtedly vote in many many times because of how great he was.

There are several other great presidents, like Lincoln, but FDR takes the grand prize for me.

I love FDR because of his charisma. Fireside chats were awesome. People were now able to hear their president speak!  I think his stress levels were high, but I would hold the threat of MAD during the Cold War to be just as bad. Him hiding his disease was pretty great even though there were plenty of rumors and leaks.

But I cannot call him one of the greatest because of his policies and what it caused. He began reliance on government aid which permeates into current society. While his programs were temporary originally, there is nothing more permanent than a temporary government program.  

And I dislike how he tried to essentially become a king. 4 terms is no big deal. But how he tried to pack the courts was just terrible. He wanted to make the Supreme Court have more justices. Now, why would he want that? Diversity of opinion? More minds to help make good decisions? Nope. The president has the power to choose who we wants as justices and the Senate would just have to approve (and the love of FDR was huge, so senators would not want to risk losing re-election). He wanted to get rid of the only barrier to his executive orders (his power over law) and his programs. The Court. 

I cannot pick that as a favorite. While every president has scandals, this one just showed a major problem between FDR and the Constitution.

Message 62 of 80 (75 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
180 posts

Dec 2, 2013

CaptainAlbator wrote:

glaciusx25 wrote

Even if our votes matter, people are just too ignorant.

Just look at Congress. Their approval rating is less than 10%, and yet year after year, they get re-elected, from name recognition alone.

That's because we're ALLOWING the ignorant to be the people who set policy. And how do we do that? By telling ourselves "our votes don't matter". Well they matter to the candidates to mobilize their base and get elected. When the populace grows apathetic, that's when corruption seeps into the fabric of democracy. Like I said before, "inaction" is not a viable course of action. Seriously, do you want people like Sarah Palin representing you? Because that's what you're going to get, and I'm sorry but if you honestly believe your votes don't matter, that's exactly what you deserve.

And you forget to mention why we hate Congress, but re-elect bad policy-makers. Pork Barrel economics. We hate Congress because all of our hate is diverted to it. We love our own representative because he/she takes care of us by making deals and sending money our way while screwing over the nation as a whole.

However, forcing votes is not a good policy. It will not make people care other then making them go to the polls. It does not encourage them to vote on policies. Just the people. "Oh...Rachel Maddow said this guy was a dirty fascist...hmmm...that guy looks like a good leader"..."Oh...Sean Hannity was nice about this guy...the other person is a baby killer...hmmm". It encourages bad voters. What we need is to instill political knowledge into our school system. The only problem is bias among teachers and possible state standards. 

Message 63 of 80 (74 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
180 posts

Dec 2, 2013

PLYMCO_PILGRIM wrote:

Da_Almighty_Guy wrote:
Franklin Roosevelt

I have trouble supporting a guy who rounded up Japanese Americans and put them in inernment camps.....btw the war, not the politicians, ended the depression.  

And the programs did not actually help the economy recover. It just gave some relief to the people. The CCC, for example, just dug ditches and built whatever they could to keep busy. It gave some relief for sure, but it was not very helpful in ending the war. We were not even going to enter World War 2 officially at that point. We were providing arms and aid, but Pearl Harbor was the only reason the nation decided to go to war. This was also the population's stigma against getting into a European war again. So I understand why politicians would not want to go to war since it would make people upset.

Message 64 of 80 (74 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1654 posts

[ Edited ]
Dec 2, 2013

I'm not too sure. Here lately all politicians and presidents that get in have all been the same. They all lie to our faces to get our votes, then don't do squat or make things worse once they win elections. They are all lying, leaderless, politicians now-adays.  I haven't had one president I liked since I started voting. If I had to pick a favorite past one, it would be Teddy...

Message 65 of 80 (69 Views)
0 Likes
Platinum
55190 posts

Dec 3, 2013

HeyThatChris wrote:

PLYMCO_PILGRIM wrote:

Da_Almighty_Guy wrote:
Franklin Roosevelt

And the programs did not actually help the economy recover. It just gave some relief to the people. The CCC, for example, just dug ditches and built whatever they could to keep busy. It gave some relief for sure, but it was not very helpful in ending the war. We were not even going to enter World War 2 officially at that point. We were providing arms and aid, but Pearl Harbor was the only reason the nation decided to go to war. This was also the population's stigma against getting into a European war again. So I understand why politicians would not want to go to war since it would make people upset.

Oh hey I forgot that Woodrow Wilson was also a racist bigot who decided to re-segregate the govt and the mililtary..... http://cominganarchy.com/2006/04/20/woodrow-wilson-the-bigot/

Message 66 of 80 (52 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5477 posts

Dec 3, 2013

The President from the Fifth Element, easily:

prezFiF

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tom_Lister,_Jr.

Grindhead_Jim

Message 67 of 80 (48 Views)
VP of Gaming
30954 posts

Dec 3, 2013
Message 68 of 80 (45 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
1638 posts

Dec 3, 2013

Simple, NONE!  None except for JFK. There were a few good men before and after him, but most have went the way of CONgress and have just become puppets for greedy men. 

Message 69 of 80 (45 Views)
0 Likes
Limit Breaker
25341 posts

Dec 3, 2013

I would Guess Kennedy, Clinton or Obama

I'm here to help. If you have a question feel free to pm me. Idling on IRC is for noobs. Smiley Tongue

Get your Portable ID!
Message 70 of 80 (39 Views)
0 Likes