Apr 09 2014
By: dulun18 Big Daddy 19825 posts

Android 4.4.2 KitKat Update for Galaxy S 3 ??

[ Edited ]
12 replies 105 views Edited Apr 9, 2014

k

http://www.android.gs/android-4-4-2-kitkat-update-for-samsung-galaxy-s3-still-missing/

S3 is only 2 years old ...

i bought this for my mother (no contract- just the phone) about 1 1/2 yr back.. i updated it for her.. once or twice.. can't remember..

i noticed there's some new update available via wi-fi today (NO DATA plan).. current version was 4.1.2..  after the update the version is 4.3..

now there's a 4.4  and 4.5?..  

and they are talking about ditching the earlier version of Galaxy S3?  it's only 2 years old.. Smiley Indifferent

i'm guessing they want people to ditch the phone and get the newer version every 8-12 months or something?..   since i think Galaxy S 5 is coming in a few days isn't it??

What Are Internet TROLLS ?
To QUOTE- TOP RIGHT of the reply box - To MULTI-QUOTE
PSP and PS3 owner..YES...i still play the LAST GEN systems
****still waiting for The LAST GUARDIAN****
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Message 1 of 13 (105 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
12885 posts

Re: Android 4.4.2 KitKat Update for Galaxy S 3 ??

Apr 9, 2014
ONLY 2 years old? Welcome to the smartphone market. Your phone will never be supported for more than a year or two. That's the whole point. Get people to constantly upgrade
Message 2 of 13 (93 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
7842 posts

Apr 9, 2014

The question is, do you *have* to update? Android 4.2-4.3 isn't that bad, and is definitely a good useable phone OS.

Message 3 of 13 (88 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
1894 posts

Apr 9, 2014
As long as your phone is 4.0 or higher you're good. The updates right now are small and having or not having them doesn't make a difference. If you want your phone to be supported for a long time the best phone is a Nexus as they are Google's official phone.
Message 4 of 13 (84 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
9766 posts

Apr 9, 2014
Problem with Android: Hardware Changes, not to mention about 1,000 different manufacturers. It is impossible for Google to support everything until the end of time. With Apple, iOS6 dropped the iPhone3/3GS; iOS7 dropped the iPhone4. The older phones are simply not powerful enough to run the newer software. Likely, the iPhone4S will be dropped with iOS8 later this year.

And yes, manufacturers expect you to upgrade at least every 2 years. Why do you think Sprint, Verizon and AT&T now offer programs that allow you to upgrade annually now?
Message 5 of 13 (82 Views)
Big Daddy
19825 posts

[ Edited ]
Apr 9, 2014

glaciusx25 wrote:
ONLY 2 years old? Welcome to the smartphone market. Your phone will never be supported for more than a year or two. That's the whole point. Get people to constantly upgrade

that's true.. it looks like that's their aim..

too bad i don't own any smart phone or tablets..  didn't really care much for these things..

i tested these things out.. they are nice.. much nicer than my $10 phone (samsung TXT)  .. but i don't need it..

i spent more time on home phone more than a cellphone..

i don't see the need of upgrading or need DATA with my cell phone either..since when it's just for emergency call and messages pretty much..

all these things.. it's not about needs.. it's just wants for most people..

there's  one simple reason why i bought the S3 instead of an iphone.. larger screen.. it's perfect for the person i'm buying it for..

What Are Internet TROLLS ?
To QUOTE- TOP RIGHT of the reply box - To MULTI-QUOTE
PSP and PS3 owner..YES...i still play the LAST GEN systems
****still waiting for The LAST GUARDIAN****
Message 6 of 13 (68 Views)
0 Likes
Survivor
2588 posts

Apr 9, 2014
So the fact that I need internet on my cell phone or tablet to send my book manuscript away to publishers is just my want?. I can't get a wired internet connection. So I'm just not supposed to because you think phones having there features is just a want and not a need?. Geez grow up.
Message 7 of 13 (59 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
7842 posts

Apr 9, 2014

BBurgSteve wrote:
Problem with Android: Hardware Changes, not to mention about 1,000 different manufacturers. It is impossible for Google to support everything until the end of time.

Google doesn't support anything Android outside of the Nexus line.

It's the manufacturer's responsibility to take the Android source and port it to their own devices, which they might not be bothered with. Or, if they port new versions of Android, it may run horribly due to lack of or poor QA.

Message 8 of 13 (54 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
12885 posts

Apr 9, 2014
Not to mention companies put their own OS changes on them, like TouchWiz on Samsung
Message 9 of 13 (51 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
803 posts

Apr 9, 2014

I have a note 3 ( as well had the note and note 2), which is rooted and running cm11. Touchwiz is terrible and Samsung is notorious for janky updates when they feel like it. If you have a samsung of any kind, it should be rooted and rom'd. 

All Star Superman
A vita supporter in a crowd of haters. Links >>>
Twitter // Work // Instagram // Nerd Blog // Last.FM // PS MVP T&C // FFXIVarr
Message 10 of 13 (48 Views)
0 Likes