Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Fender Bender
3055 posts

Re: Anyone burn wood for heat?

Mar 29, 2013

NikeMurphDawg wrote:
Can't say that I do. I turn up the thermostat when I'm cold. I apologize, but I'm not a fan of fireplace fires. To me, it gets a little too warm with a fireplace.

kinda like my brother..he can't stand coming here in the winter time because i keep it stoking hot..lol

gta5 photo: GTAV banner gta5_banner.jpg
Please use plain text.
Message 11 of 17 (69 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
946 posts

Mar 29, 2013

PLYMCO_PILGRIM wrote:

pbfoot-79 wrote:

i burn whatever i can get. i work with some tree people in the area and clean up after them.

if i have a choice i burn ash, maple, oak.

i burn A LOT of pine. what is nice is that no one wants it so its all good. i have a GREAT system to use pine.

of course i have an outdoor unit so i dont have to worry about it. as long as its a positive btu. :smileywink:

I was about to say PINE!!! ARGH!! Your poor chimmney :smileytongue:

its not too bad when you get the hang of it. there is a method to it really. its an outdoor unit too which helps and the chimney is only like 4 foot high. i keep it clean as well. but at first yeah it was "different" and i have had creosote problems but i have educated and sampled with the right ways that are working.

just curious how many cord a year you going through and what saws you use. i am looking for a decent saw. looking to find maybe a ms 361 or so.

Please use plain text.
Message 12 of 17 (59 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3055 posts

Mar 29, 2013

i have a 42cc Poulan 18 inch i have been using for years and never have had a issue with it yet...i just keep a good bar and chain on the thing and let it roar....

Please use plain text.
Message 13 of 17 (56 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3055 posts

Mar 29, 2013

oh and as far as how much wood i go through a year,i really don't know for sure as i have never really calculated it but i would say somewhere around 12-14 cords a year.....i burn alot of wood to keep this big ol'farmhouse warm.....

my old barn is well stocked with many years of wood if i just kept it all for myself but i usually help out a few of the older people around here and sell some to them as well...

Please use plain text.
Message 14 of 17 (54 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
946 posts

Mar 29, 2013

i am in the 10 cord a year range. old farmhouse as well. plus i used that stove to heat my domestic. thx

Please use plain text.
Message 15 of 17 (52 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
3293 posts

Mar 29, 2013

I prefer to burn wood in the fireplace over heating the house with electricity. We have a heat pump system, digital zones, so I can set the upper and lower floors separately at a low temp, and turn the main floor off, and just burn wood and enjoy the hotter area and move to cooler spots if one wishes too.

I hate a heated house, unless it's fireplace heated, I can't stand it.

No one gets how I can stand to be in such a hot living room from the fireplace, but not be able to stand the thermostat/forced air heat. It's as different as dry heat vs. humid heat is. It's neither of those, just comparing it to some other kind of heat differences.

Wood heated air is gentle and smells so good. There's nothing else as good in the winter.  Buidling a fire is an art.

We live in The South, so we don't need to burn as much wood as some of you probably. We need to get our chimney swept and so I haven't been burning wood since March 15 and I miss it! It's cold enough most days that I'd still burn some wood. (I have to keep turning the thermostats on and off now :robotsad: )

I love burning Oak, but we just get whatever we get. There's some old guy that sells wood, my hubby gets it. I really don't like it (that wood) too much, but it is what it is.

This year was my second employing a top-down fire start method. I gave it a go the previous year and fell in love with it immediately. I've never once wished to go back.

I always wanted a fireplace warmed house, and what I have is a partial version of that, but it's better than not having it at all. I grew up in houses with forced air heating systems and finally got to build my own fires starting in 1997.

Please use plain text.
Message 16 of 17 (48 Views)
Fender Bender
3055 posts

Mar 29, 2013

i have been starting fires with the top down method for years and is the best way in my opinion...some people have seen me in the past and say"you don't start a fire that way"..and i say "just watch"..lol

then later i see them starting their fires the same way..HA

Please use plain text.
Message 17 of 17 (45 Views)