Mar 28 2013
By: kythunder Fender Bender 3105 posts

Anyone burn wood for heat?

16 replies 257 views Edited Mar 28, 2013

do you burn wood for heat?  if so why and whats your favorite wood to use?

i myself love wood heat and it saves me a fortune in heating bills and wouldn't even bother trying to heat this ol'place with anything else..

my favorite wood is sassafras and black locust......the sass burns kinda quick but gives good fast high heat and you can about light the stuff with a match and the locust gets very hot and has a very long burn time and the best thing is that locust don't require no seasoning process as you can cut it,split it and burn it the same day..

the only other wood i know you can burn the same day is hedgeapple(osage orange) but better be careful and only cut that stuff when its not sapping or it will melt your chimney...(closest wood  to coal burning)

gta5 photo: GTAV banner gta5_banner.jpg
Message 1 of 17 (257 Views)
0 Likes
Ghost of Sparta
17397 posts

Re: Anyone burn wood for heat?

Mar 28, 2013

yeah on cold winter days I do, my favorite wood is maple and oak, it last really long and provide great heat !!

I'm lucky enough to be raised on a land where we have a lot of wood, so we lumber it every year to make sure we stock enough for the winter.

GTA V FTW !

PSN : Stackcluster
Born young, not dead yet !
Message 2 of 17 (248 Views)
Fender Bender
3105 posts

Mar 28, 2013

Stackcluster wrote:

yeah on cold winter days I do, my favorite wood is maple and oak, it last really long and provide great heat !!

I'm lucky enough to be raised on a land where we have a lot of wood, so we lumber it every year to make sure we stock enough for the winter.

yeah same here with the wood access...talking about maples i just dropped 3 of them things and getting ready to drop a whiteoak but the whiteoak probably won't even be ready to burn next winter...sometimes that stuff likes 2 years to fully season,thankfully i have a barn for a large wood shedSmiley Happy

Message 3 of 17 (245 Views)
Survivor
2374 posts

Mar 28, 2013
I only burn wood when camping. What type of wood is it? No idea. Smiley Tongue

Sometimes I wish I did burn wood instead of paying those gas bills.
Message 4 of 17 (238 Views)
I Only Post Everything
891 posts

Mar 28, 2013

I couldn't tell you much about wood other than the standard maple or oak and right now my house doesn't have a fireplace or woodstove but I really like burning wood for heat. There's just something about it that makes a cold winter day very relaxing and comfy. Add in a hot homecooked meal and you're set.

photo wizard_zps4173ab5c.png
Message 5 of 17 (226 Views)
Platinum
55074 posts

Mar 28, 2013

kythunder wrote:

do you burn wood for heat?  if so why and whats your favorite wood to use?

i myself love wood heat and it saves me a fortune in heating bills and wouldn't even bother trying to heat this ol'place with anything else..

my favorite wood is sassafras and black locust......the sass burns kinda quick but gives good fast high heat and you can about light the stuff with a match and the locust gets very hot and has a very long burn time and the best thing is that locust don't require no seasoning process as you can cut it,split it and burn it the same day..

the only other wood i know you can burn the same day is hedgeapple(osage orange) but better be careful and only cut that stuff when its not sapping or it will melt your chimney...(closest wood  to coal burning)

I like black locust myself, it is hard wood and burns good, long, and hot and like you said really doesn't need to be seasoned

Message 6 of 17 (221 Views)
Wastelander
946 posts

Mar 28, 2013

i burn whatever i can get. i work with some tree people in the area and clean up after them.

if i have a choice i burn ash, maple, oak.

i burn A LOT of pine. what is nice is that no one wants it so its all good. i have a GREAT system to use pine.

of course i have an outdoor unit so i dont have to worry about it. as long as its a positive btu. Smiley Wink

Message 7 of 17 (216 Views)
Platinum
55074 posts

Mar 28, 2013

pbfoot-79 wrote:

i burn whatever i can get. i work with some tree people in the area and clean up after them.

if i have a choice i burn ash, maple, oak.

i burn A LOT of pine. what is nice is that no one wants it so its all good. i have a GREAT system to use pine.

of course i have an outdoor unit so i dont have to worry about it. as long as its a positive btu. Smiley Wink

I was about to say PINE!!! ARGH!! Your poor chimmney Smiley Tongue

Message 8 of 17 (213 Views)
Fender Bender
3105 posts

Mar 28, 2013

i try and stay away from the pine myself,the stuff is notorious for causing chimney fires when not burned hot enough but if you have a stove with a cat. you can get away with it i guess...

i do use it sometimes mainly for just starting some fires up for quick heat but never a allday thing..

Message 9 of 17 (205 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
4945 posts

Mar 29, 2013
Can't say that I do. I turn up the thermostat when I'm cold. I apologize, but I'm not a fan of fireplace fires. To me, it gets a little too warm with a fireplace.
 photo sig_zpsfya567e6.jpg
Message 10 of 17 (129 Views)
0 Likes