Feb 14 2014
By: ck2875 PlayStation MVP 3188 posts

Anyone playing the Titanfall Beta? Thoughts? (PC/XB1)

[ Edited ]
16 replies 330 views Edited Feb 14, 2014

Titanfall_Banner

tfall_logo

So I realize that a large portion of the community is excited about Titanfall and want it to come to PlayStation, while the other part takes every chance they get to mock it since it's an Xbox exclusive, but I was curious if anyone here has played the Beta on either PC or Xbox One, and if so, what are your impressions of the game so far?

—Overall opinion?

—What do you think of the gameplay mechanics?

—How are the maps?

—What do you think of the 6v6 player limit?

—Favorite game mode?

—What do you think of the graphics? Does the 792p on XB1 matter?

—Still want it on the PS4?

Personally, I was pretty skeptical of the game at first since I'm not a fan of online-only things. After a few matches, I'm having more fun as I get used to the nuances of the gameplay. Overall, it's fun, but I'm still not sold on the game. It's definitely not one I'm pre-ordering, but I might pick it up if enough people on my friend's list nag me to play it.

The free-running on walls is pretty sweet and something I can see being carried over into other FPS games with more regularity. I absolutely hate the Smart Pistol that auto-aims multiple targets at once and requires zero skill to use. The mechs/titans are a lot of fun to play with, but it's nice to be able to get out of them and try to outsmart someone in another mech. Though I usually died, it felt pretty rewarding to finally take someone down when I wasn't inside my titan.

The maps are small, but very well done. They kind of go hand-in-hand with the 6 v 6 MP setup. The matches went really fast and it never felt like I was having to hike across the map. At the same time, I never felt like it was too boxed in.

The Last Mech Standing game mode was by far my favorite. I personally think that the Smart Pistols that can shoot like 5 guys without an effort kills the foot-soldier portion of the game, in that it removes most of the skill required to play a shooter. Putting everyone in Mechs from the start creates a great battle that requires some strategy.

I think the graphics are alright for a FPS. The gameplay is pretty fast and chaotic, so I didn't really have time to look for things to nitpick, but it looked "nice." I've definitely seen better looking games, but TF didn't look horrible. I know a lot of people were slamming it for the 792p resolution, but it still looked fine and ran smoothly imo.

TF is definitely not something I think is a must-have for PS4, but then I have an XB1 and still don't know whether I want the game. That said, it would be nice if EA brought it over, as I do think a large portion of the community would enjoy it.

Might as well post some photo evidence that I have the beta and not just rambling on as a PS fan:

tf_beta
Message 1 of 17 (330 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
6414 posts

Re: Anyone playing the Titanfall Beta? Thoughts? (PC/XB1)

Feb 14, 2014

I'll be renting the Xbox360 version since my Pc's video card is fried and I'm not interested in getting an Xbone atm. Game looks fun. 6 v 6 is abit of a turnoff since we have consoles that could definitely increase that limit and bring more action to the table.

Message 2 of 17 (310 Views)
0 Likes
Welcoming Committee
12747 posts

Feb 14, 2014

—Overall opinion?

From watching Angry Joe's gameplay, it reminds me of Starhawk with a modern FPS setting. I also noticed some battlefield elements as well. It is a decent shooter with lots of potential, if they add more into it.

—What do you think of the gameplay mechanics?

It looked like your average shooter. The jetpack addition looked welcoming. I like how you can also ride on the Titans as well. 

—How are the maps?

The maps looked good enough, your typical wartorn city.

—What do you think of the 6v6 player limit?

Since this is the first game of this IP, I would recommend them staying with this size. Titans would be easier to handle against if you have 8 people shooting it at once. Plus, it has some mechanics good enough for it's size.

—Favorite game mode?

I don't remember what game modes I saw on Angry Joe's playthrough. 

—What do you think of the graphics? Does the 792p on XB1 matter?

I honestly don't care about graphics in general. But from Angry Joe's playthough, I didn't know if I weas watching it from a Xbox One or Xbox 360.

—Still want it on the PS4?

I personally wouldn't buy it. But if they made a sequel with more additions, some custimization, and etc, then I would consider. But it is a decent game that will have some spotlights.

Message 3 of 17 (303 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
12695 posts

Feb 14, 2014
Other than the parkouring and titans, the gameplay is a LOT like COD. Which makes sense, but still...

I have a feeling people are thinking "Wow this is so fun and new" but then after a week or two the free running and titans will just feel routine and will lose its "wow" factor.
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Message 4 of 17 (274 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
1892 posts

Feb 14, 2014

I have the code for PC i'll get the game as soon as I finish leak testing my PC. The game looks fun but I think it'll get old quick. 

Message 5 of 17 (271 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
4934 posts

Feb 14, 2014
I watched Angry Joe's gameplay, and it didn't interest me. It looked like a Killzone Shadow Fall and Blacklight mix. My opinion isn't too fair though as I tend not to enjoy many games with a futuristic setting.
 photo Untitled-1_zps6a2e69f8.jpg
Message 6 of 17 (269 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
5933 posts

Feb 14, 2014
Been playing it on xb1 at a friends and it should honestly be called "the casual fps" I can see it selling well because its easy for people to get into but for a competitive gamer is meh
 photo newforumsig_zps5ec69817.png
Message 7 of 17 (265 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3056 posts

Feb 15, 2014

I have no hands on experience but I have seen a few videos, like angryjoe's impression. I had a feeling that the ai was going to be cannon fodder for real players. All I saw was a bunch of of them standing still and soaking up bullets. I still don't see why some of them couldn't be replaced by actual players. I'm going to keep watching more video's but overall, even if it was on the PS4 or PS3 I still wouldn't get it. Lets see if Microsoft paying a pretty penny for this pays off in the end.

"I'm not a failure because I didn't win, I'm a failure because I didn't try." - Kev

Message 8 of 17 (232 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
4421 posts

Feb 15, 2014

I have seen the video, and signed up for the Beta.  Unfortunately, I have not received my Beta Code yet for the PC. :smileysad:

I am hoping I get the code before the Feb 17th Deadline.  This is a game I very much would like to try out.

I have not bought a PS4 yet.  My laptop died (Old Vaio), so I had an opportunity to invest in a game grade Laptop.  This thing is sick, and has possibly stalled my getting a PS4 for a while longer.  Not for good though.:smileywink:

I have always been loyal to PS, and have never really had the chance to enter the PC gaming foray.  Now I have the chance and it gives me this opportunity to play a game like Titan Fall, since for now, PS is not in the mix.

This being said, I have to admit, at first glance, MicroS*** has possibly made a power move on this game.  I am hopeful PS can get in on this one.  I would hate for this to be a PC and XBox exclusive.

Despite having its own list of Exclusive Titles, which IMHO are far better than the majority of XBox Exclusives, PS would be really missing out on Titan Fall.

Mech meets Battlefield meets Crysis and even some Starhawk and DUST thrown in.  It looks to have a solid collection of elements present in many other good games.

I am most particularly interested in the tethering action to the Titan.  A player can jump out and have their Titan tag along for support or a quick escape.

The eject function, coupled with the "jet pack", gives a player a unique method of escaping a failing Titan, and allowing the fight to continue with agility and tact.

Wall walking and jumping from roof tops with the jet pack, helps to ensure those not in a Titan will be adequately suited to take one on.  As well, the hand held weapons seem adept enough to take on a Titan, reducing the possibility of someone dominating by simply hiding inside a steel shell.

Keep in mind, I have not played the Beta yet, so I am gleaning this from videos only.  Anyone who has played it is more than free to tell me more about my "assumptions", and I would actually welcome that.

Just on the surface, this game has me waiting in anticipation for the release.  Regardless of whether I get in on the Beta or not, I intend on picking this baby up.  Sorry PS.  If it makes it better, I will be playing it via PC.  I will still never buy an XBox.

Lastly, if anyone can post some gameplay, that would be great too.:smileywink:

Moble

Message 9 of 17 (212 Views)
0 Likes
Ghost of Sparta
11948 posts

Feb 16, 2014
Its now in open beta for the xbox one. I might go over to my uncle's to try it out. What's the download size?
Are you a WWE fan? click here to join the discussion

Message 10 of 17 (139 Views)
0 Likes