Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
PlayStation MVP
13369 posts

Re: Are Religions evil?

Aug 9, 2014

Blockhead_Brown wrote:

Tassle gave you the argument you don't deserve.

I guess I will reply to this to further clarify for you. He did not provide an argument on the preivous discussion from which you called me stupid. I am still waiting for that, though. He was talking only about the New Atheist title and its use. And I cannot say I disagree about pigeon-holing. We all develop untrue heuristics and need to consciously fight them. I do think labels are useful and necessary, however. 

Welcoming Committee
Message 101 of 105 (148 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
307 posts

[ Edited ]
Aug 9, 2014

A question to everyone here. A little something to hopefully scramble your brains a bit...

What if you're all wrong?

What if the truth is something so imperciptibly alien that you couldn't even begin to comprehend it? Something so beyond our realm of understanding that to even attempt to rationalize such a concept would in and of itself be maddening?

And is it really worth it? To try and grasp at cosmic straws when we know absolutely nothing about ourselves or our origin?

I don't think humans can understand a concept like that, or if we even want to. We're not ready, that much is evident.

We only know what we think we know, and even that's limited.

Spoiler
Relax. I'm joking (mostly).
Gamer. Modder. Psychic. Chef. Queen of Condiments.

SPPF people know who I am.
Message 102 of 105 (143 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
13369 posts

Aug 9, 2014

Toxicketchup363 wrote:

A question to everyone here. A little something to hopefully scramble your brains a bit...

What if you're all wrong?

What if the truth is something so imperciptibly alien that you couldn't even begin to comprehend it? Something so beyond our realm of understanding that to even attempt to rationalize such a concept would in and of itself be maddening?

And is it really worth it? To try and grasp at cosmic straws when we know absolutely nothing about ourselves or our origin?

I don't think humans can understand a concept like that. We're not ready, that much is evident.

We only know what we think we know, and even that's limited.

And that is a fun question. The issue is that this unattainable truth is, by definition, unattainable. We cannot know if there is one and it is instantly thrown out of possibilities when forming models of ethics, existence, etc. 

How I look at it is that we only have what we are given to figure things out. I will keep reforming my views as more is discovered and postulated, but, unless this unattainable truth is fleshed out a bit, I won't even recognize it as a possbility:smileywink:

Sort of how I won't give credence to those who say we are just in a Matrix and everything we think is real is in fact produced by some outside force. I do not look at this because, to form any sort of truth, we need an axiom to build on. For me, our existence is blatantly obvious and all evidence is in its favor. Until evidence points to the contrary, I won't even acknowledge this theory.

Welcoming Committee
Message 103 of 105 (131 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
269 posts

[ Edited ]
Aug 9, 2014

To Bob.

Glad you got the pigeon-hole thing because I didn't write it very well.

What I was trying to say is that with all the people from all walks of life that I know and talk to constantly, these labels never come up.

It's only when talking to someone religious do the words atheist and agnostic every come into the conversation.

Why is that?

It's like it's some sort of way to separate themselves from the lesser beings.

These non-believers, these fools.

But saying that, occassionally an idiot will make a smart-alec religious comment towards someone.

Probably born from a blend of ignorance and intollerence I guess.

But it's embarrasing to be in the group where the comment came from.

TBH, some of the questions put forward by Dawkins are perfectly reasonable.

Well from what I've seen in interviews anyway, as I'm not a follower of the 'movement'.

Very straight forward, very base-line questions that deserve more than just fobbing-off as fanatical show-boating.

Simply standard questions asked by anyone when being confronted with such controversial theories.

I'm sure it's not the first time over the years these questions have been asked.

And the fact they are now on YouTube in this day and age, in my mind, doesn't make it 'New Atheism'.

Just another label.

Same as 'morals'.

It's not some tangible, measurable thing.

And the claim from some religious people that they have some sort of monopoly on this is infuriating.

Again ...

It's like it's some sort of way to separate themselves from the lesser beings.

These non-believers, these fools.

It's nothing more than recognition of what's right and what's wrong.

Civilisation, society, and self-preservation has taught us these things over the generations.

You don't need to believe in a god to have this understanding.

At the end of the day, I'm rather nonplused about it all.

Each to their own.

But sometimes, if the conversation is long enough, I may speak up.

To Toxic,

Interesting proposal, but I would suggest there either is a god or there isn't.

So we can't all be wrong in that sense.

Atheists probably have the edge there because anything but a god could be called a 'win'.

Clearly if there is a god, then it's a big fail for the Atheists.

But happily I don't live my life in fear that I may have the wrong idea in my head.

It's simply something I never focus on.

I do wonder if those who are religious worry about the same.

Have they spent a life time believing in a lie?

Probably the beauty of it is that none of us will ever know.

Unless of course god is real, and some are having a ball in heaven while I'm damned to eternity in hell.  :smileytongue:

Message 104 of 105 (129 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation Moderator
889 posts

Aug 9, 2014

Locking this thread.  It's run its course.

Message 105 of 105 (120 Views)
0 Likes