Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Apr 07 2014
By: S0UTHERN_C0MF0RT PlayStation MVP 7294 posts

Are our grammar skills declining?

57 replies 198 views Edited Apr 7, 2014
Is our society's grammar and knowledge of properly writing declining? Before the year 2000, a general consensus might have been established that our society's grammar and knowledge of proper writing mechanics was not declining; however, with the introduction of text messaging, instant messaging, smart phones, and the like, quick and convenient conversing methods have arisen.

A study done by Penn State found that tweens who text and use instant messaging more than tweens that do not are more likely to have worse grammar and language skills. Some teachers have even reported that some of their students might include words like "LOL" (which is a 'techspeak' abbreviation for "laugh out loud") or add smiley faces at the end of some sentences.

It is possible that the millennial generation is too young for adequate testing to be done, but researches have found that personality habits began to solidify at the age of twelve. Apart from those beliefs, what are your beliefs on this matter? Do you think our society's grammar and language skills are declining in the wake of text messaging, instant messaging, and other convenient conversation formats?
soco signature

bhd clan site
mvp terms
forum rules
Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 58 (198 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1368 posts

Re: Are our grammar skills declining?

Apr 7, 2014

I would say so, and I would also say that their reading comprehension skills are declining too, judging by some of the posts I have seen on these forums...

Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 58 (189 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3870 posts

Apr 7, 2014
Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 58 (185 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
12172 posts

Apr 7, 2014

@HiTmAN_90 

Welcoming Committee Twitter
Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 58 (183 Views)
PlayStation MVP
5891 posts

Apr 7, 2014

My grammar is horrible! but i have an excuse since english is not my first langue.

KANE-FIRE

Twitter  Welcoming Committee [INFO] Dust: An Elysian Tail[INFO] Final Fantasy Type-0 HD[INFO] WWE2K15 [INFO] Resident Evil Revelations 2 [INFO] Resident Evil HD Youtube

Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 58 (177 Views)
Uncharted Territory
1393 posts

[ Edited ]
Apr 7, 2014

What if we stopped using abbreviations and typed/wrote the whole thing out.

bob-maul wrote:

@HiTmAN_90 

Laughing out loud.

Please use plain text.
Message 6 of 58 (176 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
12172 posts

Apr 7, 2014

KANE-FIRE wrote:

My grammar is horrible! but i have an excuse since english is not my first langue.

That gets a pass. I took French for three years and I am on the level of a 4 year old. Hell, we watched a terrifying live-action French show from the 90s that was aimed at pre-schoolers. 

Welcoming Committee Twitter
Please use plain text.
Message 7 of 58 (164 Views)
0 Likes
Last Guardian
11068 posts

Apr 7, 2014

I'm actually better at writing in english than in my own language. :smileyindifferent:

As for speaking, portuguese wins. I don't talk in english that much so i can't practice it.

Please use plain text.
Message 8 of 58 (163 Views)
0 Likes
Welcoming Committee
10826 posts

Apr 7, 2014

I find it funny how kids go to school to learn grammar and then unlearn it on their phones.

ossie castro5signature
Please use plain text.
Message 9 of 58 (162 Views)
PlayStation MVP
18259 posts

Apr 7, 2014

renatabls wrote:

I'm actually better at writing in english than in my own language. :smileyindifferent:

As for speaking, portuguese wins. I don't talk in english that much so i can't practice it.

Well, if you would talk to me more, you could practice it. ;3

Please use plain text.
Message 10 of 58 (156 Views)
0 Likes