Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Gaming Beast
1659 posts

Re: Are our grammar skills declining?

Apr 7, 2014

semajmarc87 wrote:

Did anyone ever notice how a lot of "ghetto people" clap after each syllable for emphasis to compensate for their limited vocabularies?

Only when they're mad.

Like...

wut.   chu.    say.

clap*  clap*   clap*

Message 21 of 58 (129 Views)
PlayStation MVP
12862 posts

[ Edited ]
Apr 7, 2014

semajmarc87 wrote:

It's amazing the amount of arrogant pride that some people show in the rhythmic sound waves that come from their vibrating vocal cords and the patterns of scribbles used to invoke particular thoughts in the cerebral cortex of the recipient.

While I am sure some people here are like that, I do not think that is the overall point. 

Our writing is very important when it comes to gaining respect. If your spelling is terrible, then people will assume you are not the smartest of people. If your grammar makes it impossible to see your point, it tarnishes your image even more. 

Obviously we all make mistakes grammatically and within our spelling. That is a given. But to say that having or respecting good grammar is simply arrogant pride seems unfair.

Grammar, like one's clothing, conveys a certain message. And it is important and advantageous to control that message you give out. Make sure to shower. Make sure to maintain your appearance. Try to spell decently. It is all important.

Welcoming Committee Twitter
Message 22 of 58 (128 Views)
Last Guardian
11105 posts

[ Edited ]
Apr 7, 2014

PaperCarrier wrote:

Language evolves.

What do you mean? Should i just write "u" instead of "you"? That's not envolving, that's laziness from the writer.

Sure, languages do evolve at some point, we (or you people...) don't use the word "thy" anymore, in fact, not once in any of my english classes has the teacher ever mentioned that word, i had to google it to know the meaning of it. But we still say "your". 

Maybe one day "ur" will be the new "your" which is the new "thy". But that will take a lot of generations and a bunch of stupidity with it.

Message 23 of 58 (118 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
12862 posts

Apr 7, 2014

renatabls wrote:

PaperCarrier wrote:

Language evolves.

What do you mean? Should i just write "u" instead of "you"? That's not involving, that's laziness from the writer.

Sure, languages do evolve at some point, we (or you people...) don't use the word "thy" anymore, in fact, not once in any of my english classes has the teacher ever mentioned that word, i had to google it to know the meaning of it. But we still say "your". 

Maybe one day "ur" will be the new "your" which is the new "thy". But that will take a lot of generations and a bunch of stupidity with it.

Exactly. Language evolution may make things simpler, but the laziness and stupidity of many people should not give that evolution any direction.

Message 24 of 58 (115 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
2952 posts

Apr 7, 2014

bob-maul wrote:

semajmarc87 wrote:

It's amazing the amount of arrogant pride that some people show in the rhythmic sound waves that come from their vibrating vocal cords and the patterns of scribbles used to invoke particular thoughts in the cerebral cortex of the recipient.

While I am sure some people here are like that, I do not think that is the overall point. 

Our writing is very important when it comes to gaining respect. If your spelling is terrible, then people will assume you are not the smartest of people. If your grammar makes it impossible to see your point, it tarnishes your image even more. 

Obviously we all make mistakes grammatically and within our spelling. That is a given. But to say that having or respecting good grammar is simply arrogant pride seems unfair.

Grammar, like one's clothing, conveys a certain message. And it is important and advantageous to control that message you give out. Make sure to shower. Make sure to maintain your appearance. Try to spell decently. It is all important.

I absolutely understand the importance of being able to express yourself accurately and efficiently through language. I just think it's kind of silly when people act hostile towards people who have a less than stellar grasp of whatever language it happens to be. My post wasn't directed at anyone in particular.

PlayStation MVP | PS Plus member | BETA Tester | YouTube Partner www.twitter.com/semajmarc87 | www.youtube.com/semajmarc87
2,000+ followers | 125+ subscribers
Message 25 of 58 (111 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
48845 posts

[ Edited ]
Apr 7, 2014

S0UTHERN_C0MF0RT wrote:
Is our society's grammar and knowledge of properly writing declining? Before the year 2000, a general consensus might have been established that our society's grammar and knowledge of proper writing mechanics was not declining; however, with the introduction of text messaging, instant messaging, smart phones, and the like, quick and convenient conversing methods have arisen.

A study done by Penn State found that tweens who text and use instant messaging more than tweens that do not are more likely to have worse grammar and language skills. Some teachers have even reported that some of their students might include words like "LOL" (which is a 'techspeak' abbreviation for "laugh out loud") or add smiley faces at the end of some sentences.

It is possible that the millennial generation is too young for adequate testing to be done, but researches have found that personality habits began to solidify at the age of twelve. Apart from those beliefs, what are your beliefs on this matter? Do you think our society's grammar and language skills are declining in the wake of text messaging, instant messaging, and other convenient conversation formats?

Yes grammar skills have declined drastically in the last 10 years.  My opinion is that most of it is due to electronic communications as that Penn State study found,

I'll admit, I love a good smiley face emoticon!   poop

Message 26 of 58 (107 Views)
PlayStation MVP
48845 posts

Apr 7, 2014

mbob-maul wrote:

semajmarc87 wrote:

Bob, before you told me otherwise I assumed you were in your 30's or older.   Take one guess why?   It was due to your writing style on the forums.   

Message 27 of 58 (102 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
7297 posts

Apr 7, 2014

semajmarc87 wrote:

bob-maul wrote:

semajmarc87 wrote:

I absolutely understand the importance of being able to express yourself accurately and efficiently through language. I just think it's kind of silly when people act hostile towards people who have a less than stellar grasp of whatever language it happens to be. My post wasn't directed at anyone in particular.

Well, look at it this way: generations rise, age, and fall away. As generations grow in age, they spawn younger generations; these younger generations, of course, are parented by the previous generation(s), so if the older generations adopt certain behaviors, those behaviors have a likely chance of becoming the norm.

Essentially, those who have a "less than stellar grasp of whatever language it happens to be" will have children that might think that what is their parents' norm is society's norm. Over time, what once was proper, articulate, and civilized writing will be overridden by a format that is exactly "less than stellar" from generations before.

It does pose a philosophical question, though: I wonder what Sir William Shakespeare or Charles Dickens would think of our language today...
soco signature

bhd clan site
mvp terms
forum rules
Message 28 of 58 (99 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
19 posts

Apr 7, 2014
My grammar is fine but my spelling is a whole other story. Once upon a time I was an excellent speller.

Message 29 of 58 (96 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
12862 posts

Apr 7, 2014

semajmarc87 wrote:

bob-maul wrote:

semajmarc87 wrote:

Alright :smileytongue: (hehehe...the joke is that "alright" is informal...he...not funny)

I am not one to judge missteps in grammar or spelling unless it really harms the message or shows a flaw in the poster.

Message 30 of 58 (95 Views)
0 Likes