Search instead for 
Do you mean 
PlayStation MVP
15543 posts

Re: Are our grammar skills declining?

[ Edited ]
Apr 8, 2014

Fletcherrenn08 wrote:
My friend once told me his friend told him saying Lol was a sin, iv tried to never say it since

lolololol.gif

Message 51 of 58 (136 Views)
Treasure Hunter
4482 posts

Apr 8, 2014
Message 52 of 58 (131 Views)
I Only Post Everything
1269 posts

Apr 8, 2014
@Setzaroth its a very true story, I was so worried back then (because I was a Christian) about doing wrong, so I totally freaked out about anything someone told me was a sin, lol ;-)
You mean to tell me you don't bleed magical glitter dust?
How...............odd.
Message 53 of 58 (121 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1269 posts

Apr 8, 2014
And what on earth is olo? That's what your image says
You mean to tell me you don't bleed magical glitter dust?
How...............odd.
Message 54 of 58 (119 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1844 posts

Apr 8, 2014
Yeah I would agree with the OP. Whether it'd be on these forums or even at work, people make common mistakes such as using the wrong they're or their, to or too. It amazes me at how much people stuggle in comprehending something so simple. SMH.
 photo terrorbob.jpg
Message 55 of 58 (117 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5622 posts

Apr 8, 2014

GuitarGuru2012 wrote:

If you look at us on a range from beginning of human history to now, I'd say we are still going upwards.

It was only 40 years ago that we realized all language was arbitrary.

There is NO correct grammar. Only what you cling to, to help you make sense of unorganized speech processes.

With yes guy he's I obviously agree this right!

^With no correct grammar that sentence is okay, huh? You obviously know linguistics much better than I do, maybe you should write a book or something. 

Language is certainly not arbitrary, on the contrary, it's a very well organised system. And the words we speak or write are not arbitrary in their sequence. Correct grammar is needed! Words on the other hand are arbitrary symbols, tools enabling us to speak about things and stuff. 

Message 56 of 58 (112 Views)
I Only Post Everything
1069 posts

[ Edited ]
Apr 9, 2014

LiLBlueEyes wrote:

Blockhead_Brown wrote:
@LiLBlueEyes

I see no noteworthy correlation between "boring and pretentious" and proper spelling and grammar. While true that proper spelling and grammar can still be boring and pretentious, it's equally true that horrible spelling and grammar can be boring and pretentious.

If I could only be skilled at one thing I'd rather it be content than the ability to convey said content, but I see no reason why one wouldn't want to be skilled at both.

Well good luck with that, unfortunatly people don't have the time or in some cases the attention span to read boring, just to much out there to filter through daily, like your comment for instance I only read the first line and got the gist of your whole speech, so you basically wasted 40 extra words where you could've condensed what you wanted to say, instead of this drawn out boast.

Stop lyin. You know you  read every word and still missed the gist. You saw a boast where there was none, so I'd say the gist of what I said went right by you.  Don't feel bad though. Keep working on Cats and Dogs and someday you might actually be capable of reading and comprehending three full sentences in a single sit-down.

tl;dr: Nice comeback, now wipe it off your chin.

s(till)tl;dr: U mad bro?

Message 57 of 58 (91 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
6124 posts

Apr 9, 2014

bob-maul wrote:

LiLBlueEyes wrote:

bob-maul wrote:

LiLBlueEyes wrote:

Publishers have heaping slush piles of manuscripts with proper spelling and grammar, but  if you’re boring and pretentious all the grammar and spelling in the world isn’t going to matter,,, some of the best words I have ever read are from cats and dogs...

On a more serious note,,, judging people by their grammar or speech such as 'Ghetto People' is ridiculous for the simple fact that maybe its a matter of survival and fitting in... I would imagine a 'Ghetto Person'  would get knocked out daily if he or she spoke like the King or Queen of England.

I find it's easier to adapt to people,,, I try to help some with their spelling and grammar and if they don't want the help then so be it, it doesn't make them any less of a person, just different.

That is just silly. Someone speaking decent English in ghetto areas will not get them beaten up. That is not survival. That is a dialect that is prominent in ghetto areas. It is much more likely that they are surrounded by poor grammar and adopt it. Similar to any other sort of accent or dialect. 

And nobody is saying they are not people.

LOL so now you're an expert of the HOOD?

I'm not surprised the joke about the queens dielect was over your head, or maybe in your case below your feet.. :smileyvery-happy:

That last comment doesn't even deserve a response. :smileysad:

It does not take an expert of "the hood" to know that speaking decent English will not get you beaten up daily. I did not even mention the Queen's Enlgish. I went after your pretty ignorant statement that speaking Ebonics is based on survival. If it was a joke, consider the possibility that you are not funny. 

The last comment? You made it sound like judging someone's poor English means you are dehumanizing them. You should be happy I even responded to it.

Do you even read what you post?

Have you even spent time in a poor section of town? Iv'e seen kids get beat up because they were half breeds, let alon for other stupid bull***

Get off the forums once in a while and go outside and experiance life!

Might help you to get your head out of your ***

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Message 58 of 58 (81 Views)