May 10 2013
By: Gojet-64 Gaming Beast 2197 posts

Average CO2 Levels Reach 400 ppm (0.04%); The Highest Ever Recorded

11 replies 129 views Edited May 10, 2013

Caron Dioxide levels at Mauna Loa Observatory have recorded a new all-time high for the greenhouse gas last Thursday, at 400 parts-per-million, or .04% of the atmosphere. This is the higher than it has ever reached in over 3 million years. For comparison, the level of CO2 never previously surpassed 300 ppm in the last 400,000 years.

The cause is well-known among the general public. Burning of coal, oil, and other fossil fuels, pumps masses of CO2 into the air. This air traps in heat, instead of allowing it to escape into space. CO2 isn't the strongest greenhouse gas, but it is by far the most prolific, with carbon dioxide being the 4th most common atmospheric gas. (After Nitrogen, Oxygen, and Argon)

One way to interpret the damage: Humans alone increased the levels of the 4th most common gas by more than 30%. Not just over a city or polluted area, but over the whole global average.

Although some efforts have been made to limit the amount of greenhouse gases being put into the air, CO2 levels continue to rise at an accelerated rate. Pieter Tans at NOAA says "It symbolizes that so far we have failed miserably in tackling this problem"

Many scientists thinks this could spell disaster for millions of people. One point of evidence, is the fact that the last time CO2 levels were this high, sea level was up to 80 feet higher than it is today.

Source: New York Times: Carbon Dioxide Level Passes Long-Feared Milestone

Gojet-64 is now Encvell. (Gojet-64 is now only used for older games and Vita)
Back up your PS3's and PS4's hard drives!
Try repairing your corrupted hard drive without losing data, here.
Message 1 of 12 (129 Views)
0 Likes
Highlighted
Wastelander
602 posts

Re: Average CO2 Levels Reach 400 ppm (0.04%); The Highest Ever Recorded

May 10, 2013

not another one of these threads.    This is your opinion man  the NY times is hardly ever accurate.  and many scientists could debate the reason for this in other ways.     

I bet the next thing you will be telling me is you invented the internet. 

Message 2 of 12 (117 Views)
0 Likes
Big Daddy
16939 posts

[ Edited ]
May 11, 2013

This is just fear mongering....

MANY natural occurances on the planet produces CO2..... volcano eruptions (in the oceans as well), methane pockets emitted from the ground and waters, wildfires.... BREATHING.

And where do they get "highest in 3 million years".... theres no way to date air quality from long before humans ever existed, we didn't even have technology to measure air quality until about 30 years ago...

This is sheer stupidity and fear-mongering from environmentalists. The only reason why such things like this makes "news" is only to put money into the pockets of big-wigs in corporations and government that will profit from it.
Remember a while back when our own government was trying to put a carbon footprint tax on the air we breathe, among other stupid things?

CO2 is a naturally occurring substance. With such fear mongering, we shouldn't be trying to lessen CO2 production. We should just start wearing masks so that we don't breathe it, like in Metro 2033 and Last Light when you have to go outside in the radition fallout... cause apparently, its only harmful to humans. 

Furiously Chaosing
Message 3 of 12 (109 Views)
0 Likes
Big Daddy
19025 posts

May 11, 2013

400 PPM is miniscule to 7000 PPM recorded during the Cambrian period between 500 and 600 million years ago.

http://csccc.fcpp.org/files/f13.jpg 

Highest ever recorded? Yeah, sure, whatever.

photo 683842d5-5deb-4335-8bcb-5b2166398090_zpsafb7b8da.jpg
Message 4 of 12 (103 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
2197 posts

May 11, 2013

hwhunt13 wrote:

400 PPM is miniscule to 7000 PPM recorded during the Cambrian period between 500 and 600 million years ago.

http://csccc.fcpp.org/files/f13.jpg 

Highest ever recorded? Yeah, sure, whatever.

Oh, we had CO2 measuring equipment and records back in 500000000 BCE? I did not know that...

Take a hint: Highest recorded, not highest ever.

Message 5 of 12 (95 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
4945 posts

May 11, 2013
"Oh my God, who the hell cares?"
 photo sig_zpsfya567e6.jpg
Message 6 of 12 (92 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
2197 posts

May 11, 2013

gR3yGh051 wrote:

MANY natural occurances on the planet produces CO2..... volcano eruptions (in the oceans as well), methane pockets emitted from the ground and waters, wildfires.... BREATHING.

Yes, there are natural sources of CO2. But here's a bit of trivia. Volcanic eruptions release about 180 megatonnes of CO2 each year. Or about 1% of what humans release.

And where do they get "highest in 3 million years".... theres no way to date air quality from long before humans ever existed, we didn't even have technology to measure air quality until about 30 years ago...

Air pockets in ice from Greenland or Anarctica contain precisely what the atmosphere was like when the ice was frozen. The age of the ice can be determined with Carbon-14 dating. By the way, we've been measuring CO2 levels for about 60 years, not 30.

This is sheer stupidity and fear-mongering from environmentalists. The only reason why such things like this makes "news" is only to put money into the pockets of big-wigs in corporations and government that will profit from it.
Remember a while back when our own government was trying to put a carbon footprint tax on the air we breathe, among other stupid things?

I geuss the planet we live on isn't relevant news, is it?

CO2 is a naturally occurring substance. With such fear mongering, we shouldn't be trying to lessen CO2 production. We should just start wearing masks so that we don't breathe it, like in Metro 2033 and Last Light when you have to go outside in the radition fallout... cause apparently, its only harmful to humans.

Carbon Dioxide is a natural substance. In the same way that rattlesnake venom is also natural. We do need CO2 in the air, but too much can easily upset the delicate balance.

I can argue all day if you want.

Message 7 of 12 (83 Views)
0 Likes
Big Daddy
19025 posts

May 11, 2013

Gojet-64 wrote:

gR3yGh051 wrote:

Yes, there are natural sources of CO2. But here's a bit of trivia. Volcanic eruptions release about 180 megatonnes of CO2 each year. Or about 1% of what humans release.

Air pockets in ice from Greenland or Anarctica contain precisely what the atmosphere was like when the ice was frozen. The age of the ice can be determined with Carbon-14 dating. By the way, we've been measuring CO2 levels for about 60 years, not 30.

Carbon Dioxide is a natural substance. In the same way that rattlesnake venom is also natural. We do need CO2 in the air, but too much can easily upset the delicate balance.

The last part isn't exactly true.

CO2 is actually a plant fertilizer that is poisonous to humans. Even if you just so happen to double the amount of CO2 in the air, plants will grow better and look healthier.

I keep hearing this from time and time again that the whole climate change hoax is all about the hatred of the human race.

You don't have to go very far back in history to see that our current climate is nowhere near as warm  as the medieval warm period or 8000 years ago when our current interglacial period peaked.

Message 8 of 12 (66 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
819 posts

May 11, 2013

hwhunt13 wrote:

Gojet-64 wrote:

gR3yGh051 wrote:

CO2 is actually a plant fertilizer that is poisonous to humans. Even if you just so happen to double the amount of CO2 in the air, plants will grow better and look healthier.

I keep hearing this from time and time again that the whole climate change hoax? is all about the hatred of the human race.

You don't have to go very far back in history to see that our current climate is nowhere near as warm  as the medieval warm period or 8000 years ago when our current interglacial period peaked.

I think everybody that likes to deny it goes outside and looks around and says "feels ok to me"...must be that crazy Al Gore feller. And although he is crazy, i think the proof is in the puddin so to speak. I dunno if people are to blame for climate change...probly at least  50 /50  I mean take a trip to China or India...the pollution they make is ridiculous. its offensive really. But like i said the proof is in the puddin...

The artic circle has melted so bad that people can start running around alot better up there. Its so bad that Russia has claimed lots of areas up there so they can start drilling for oil. One guy even planted a Russian flag on the artic sea floor to "claim" it for Russia...so..when you have countries fighting to drill oil..where it was impossible to drill for oil before is pretty good proof that the climate is getting hotter. 

http://www.cnn.com/2009/TECH/science/01/02/arctic.rights.dispute/

Message 9 of 12 (57 Views)
0 Likes
Big Daddy
19025 posts

[ Edited ]
May 11, 2013

lauranichole25 wrote:

hwhunt13 wrote:

Gojet-64 wrote:

gR3yGh051 wrote:

I keep hearing this from time and time again that the whole climate change hoax? is all about the hatred of the human race.

I think everybody that likes to deny it goes outside and looks around and says "feels ok to me"...must be that crazy Al Gore feller. And although he is crazy, i think the proof is in the puddin so to speak. I dunno if people are to blame for climate change...probly at least  50 /50  I mean take a trip to China or India...the pollution they make is ridiculous. its offensive really. But like i said the proof is in the puddin...

The artic circle has melted so bad that people can start running around alot better up there. Its so bad that Russia has claimed lots of areas up there so they can start drilling for oil. One guy even planted a Russian flag on the artic sea floor to "claim" it for Russia...so..when you have countries fighting to drill oil..where it was impossible to drill for oil before is pretty good proof that the climate is getting hotter. 

http://www.cnn.com/2009/TECH/science/01/02/arctic.rights.dispute/

What you were told about the arctic ice cap is completely wrong. The arctic ice cap is still 2 miles thick and are at completely normal levels for its extent on area.

CNN is not a reputable webiste that you should depend on. News sites, only care about what happened in the last 24 hours, and make up some kind of truth that isn't really the truth.

If you would have posted that under NOAA, or other weather and climate divisions, I would have spent more time trying to research whether it was really true or not.

Message 10 of 12 (50 Views)
0 Likes