Last Guardian
9963 posts

Re: Certain Types of "Gamers" Bother Me Sometimes, What About You?

Mar 3, 2014
I'm not huge on indies but Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons is a pretty good game. Such a departure from mainstream games, in the best possible way.

I won't go out of my way to play an indie game, but it's free I'll play. Thank you PS Plus.
 photo Hammer Girl_zpsnrg29qur.jpg
Message 31 of 44 (136 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
887 posts

Mar 3, 2014
With all due respect your intetpretation of my point could not be more wrong. My GotY 2013 was Bioshock Infinite. I do not associste myself or indie games with hipsters. Im more of an RPG nerd. I just know art and innovation when I see it. Thats not to say AAA games cant be innovative or creative it's just often times smaller titles are moreso. Im more excited about all the new IPs this year, like Watch_Dogd and The Evil Within, than I am for reboots and sequels.
Exophase Gamercard
Message 32 of 44 (129 Views)
Fender Bender
3283 posts

Mar 3, 2014

Good list and i agree with them all and #8 lmao, but i have heard my fair share of gamers who on BF4 will judge you if your K/D ratio is lower then 2.0, i tend to ignore them, i play for fun.

For #11 i say Trial and Error thats why we have demos for games.

photo 557c3c40-b625-4286-ad5f-95b19a50b165.jpg
Message 33 of 44 (125 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
2023 posts

Mar 3, 2014

jgrizzle358 wrote:
With all due respect your intetpretation of my point could not be more wrong. My GotY 2013 was Bioshock Infinite. I do not associste myself or indie games with hipsters. Im more of an RPG nerd. I just know art and innovation when I see it. Thats not to say AAA games cant be innovative or creative it's just often times smaller titles are moreso. Im more excited about all the new IPs this year, like Watch_Dogd and The Evil Within, than I am for reboots and sequels.

Both games look awesome. 

LifeStyle Ambassador Program.
My Youtube Channel. Subscribe here. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4u4grBAukysjm2j8f44VLw
Message 34 of 44 (117 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
6980 posts

[ Edited ]
Mar 3, 2014

jgrizzle358 wrote:

JayJay2515 wrote:

I fall into 1. and 2. because I pretty much prefer RPGs, 3PS and generally whatever interests me and I don't really care for Indie games because Indie games have not sparked a interest in me.

See now, the only issue I have with this is that you're a PlayStation Plus member and Brothers (possibly the BEST indie game I have EVER played) is free right now. 

This is what i mean by "broadening your horizons" sometimes all it takes is just trying something. What's the worst that could happen? the game is free so it's not like you lose money. You try it for maybe 20 minutes, if you like it yay, if not, oh well. Delete it and move on. No harm done (unless you're one of those 100%'ers. In which case, make an alternate profile on the system to play the game on after you download it on yours.) 

If more people did this, I gaurentee you at least half of them would end up liking it. 

Exactly, which is why I don't download every plus game they add to the store. I have 12 games on my ps3 and maybe around 25 GB left to use. With that amount of space I have to delete a game and download another which is a waste of time if I end up not liking the game. I look up videos and reviews for games on plus I think about downloading but I determine whether or not I should delete another game and download something else.  I could just get a bigger hard drive but I don't feel like it and I'm perfectly fine with the games I already have on my ps3, plus Infamous Second Son comes out this month.

I have added Bioshock Infinite and Brothers to my download list just incase I might wanna try them out but I haven't downloaded them because they simply just do not interest me(incoming hate). 

Just incase you're wondering if all 12 games on my ps3 are the same type of games; I have WWE 2K14, Battlefield 3, GTA V, Uncharted 3, Metro: Last Light, Borderlands 2, LittleBigPlanet 2, Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen, Minecraft, Dragon Age 2, Dead Island and Shadow of the Colossus.

JayJay 2515 signature

2 time Face of The WWE Champion
Message 35 of 44 (109 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
887 posts

[ Edited ]
Mar 3, 2014

JayJay2515 wrote:

jgrizzle358 wrote:

JayJay2515 wrote:

I fall into 1. and 2. because I pretty much prefer RPGs, 3PS and generally whatever interests me and I don't really care for Indie games because Indie games have not sparked a interest in me.

See now, the only issue I have with this is that you're a PlayStation Plus member and Brothers (possibly the BEST indie game I have EVER played) is free right now. 

This is what i mean by "broadening your horizons" sometimes all it takes is just trying something. What's the worst that could happen? the game is free so it's not like you lose money. You try it for maybe 20 minutes, if you like it yay, if not, oh well. Delete it and move on. No harm done (unless you're one of those 100%'ers. In which case, make an alternate profile on the system to play the game on after you download it on yours.) 

If more people did this, I gaurentee you at least half of them would end up liking it. 

Exactly, which is why I don't download every plus game they add to the store. I have 12 games on my ps3 and maybe around 25 GB left to use. With that amount of space I have to delete a game and download another which is a waste of time if I end up not liking the game. I look up videos and reviews for games on plus I think about downloading but I determine whether or not I should delete another game and download something else.  I could just get a bigger hard drive but I don't feel like it and I'm perfectly fine with the games I already have on my ps3, plus Infamous Second Son comes out this month.

I have added Bioshock Infinite and Brothers to my download list just incase I might wanna try them out but I haven't downloaded them because they simply just do not interest me(incoming hate). 

I'm not going to hate you, it just makes me sad because those were my 2 favorite games of last year and I think everyone should experience them at least once in their lifetime. Smiley Sad

Exophase Gamercard
Message 36 of 44 (106 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
2023 posts

Mar 3, 2014

jgrizzle358 wrote:

JayJay2515 wrote:

jgrizzle358 wrote:

JayJay2515 wrote:

I'm not going to hate you, it just makes me sad because those were my 2 favorite games of last year and I think everyone should experience them at least once in their lifetime. Smiley Sad

BIOSHOCK INFINITE was amazing. Very good game.  I love it. I dont regret buying the Premium Editon season pass and guide ( for some reason I was caught in the deal of you buy game and season pass and you get the guide for free).

LifeStyle Ambassador Program.
My Youtube Channel. Subscribe here. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4u4grBAukysjm2j8f44VLw
Message 37 of 44 (99 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
803 posts

Mar 4, 2014

If everyone liked the same exact thing, the game landscape would be boring.

My favorite game from last year was SMTIV followed by Y's Celceta. My favorite rpg of last gen is a tie between Nier and Lost Odyssey, for a lot of people it was Skyrim or Fallout 3. I'm glad we all have differing tastes in stuff.

All Star Superman
A vita supporter in a crowd of haters. Links >>>
Twitter // Work // Instagram // Nerd Blog // Last.FM // PS MVP T&C // FFXIVarr
Message 38 of 44 (92 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
6980 posts

[ Edited ]
Mar 4, 2014

My game of 2013 is Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen I enjoyed it show much I ended up platinuming it and I only go for a platinum if I enjoy the game enough and if the platinum is 6-8 trophies away.

JayJay 2515 signature

2 time Face of The WWE Champion
Message 39 of 44 (83 Views)
0 Likes
Highlighted
I Only Post Everything
887 posts

[ Edited ]
Mar 4, 2014

Obviously I went about this the wrong way, so I'm going to make amends. I'm going to revise the list in my OP to come across as less condescending and more like an opinionated article open for debate. Then I will link to this post in the OP.

Ok, here we go...

1. People who exclusively play one game/genre end up missing out on a lot. And, to me at least, it seems almost as if they are missing the point of gaming. There's a whole rainbow of differing titles out there just waiting to be explored, but if you are exclusively biased then you're not getting the whole cake, rather just a crumb with maybe a little frosting.

2. indie games are a very important and large part of the industry. yes, just like AAA titles there will always be garbage ones, but these up and comers deserve a chance. Even if you don't like indie games as a whole, I still say you should give credit where it's due. One day these guys may be the next Bioware or Naughty Dog, but they cannot get there without our support.

3. On this particular issue, I feel as if it is foolish to get rid of a perfectly good console or stop playing it just because it's successor has arrived. Some people are so hellbent on moving the future forward faster then it needs to, and they miss so much because of it. Yes, the next gen systems are more impressive than their predecessors, but that does not mean that the past generation is done. PS3 will still be supported for years to come, and some games will be exclusive to it, there's still some fight in that old mule and I intend to see it through to it's death and then-some.

4. I've always maintained the notion that graphics do not necessarily make or break a game, but rather is the icing on the cake. To judge a game based solely off graphics alone is odd to say the least. I can play a game with bad graphics but an amazing story and fun gameplay and still be happy. I also cannot stress enough that cel-shading is NOT bad graphics, it is a graphics style similar to that of a watercolor painting, yes it done on purpose. Some people do not comprehend that believe it or not.

5. I will not sugar coat this one. Console wars are nothing more than gential measuring contests for the mentally feeble. You can have a preference, that's fine, I prefer PlayStation, but do not be an arrogant jerk about it.

6. Sam as #5, we all know that PC game run games better than consoles could ever hope to. Fine. But to be an arrogant jerk and look down upon those that cannot afford a gaming PC or prefer console just makes you a bad person. Gaming is about the GAMES, not your platform preference.

7. To be honest, I'm not sure how to revise this one... I guess I'd say, like with the case of indie developers, we should give credit where it's due. I like Android better than Apple, but I still give credit to Apple when they do something right. Nintendo may have made some mistakes but they are not alone. All the companies have. At least from a consumer standpoint. But I still feel like the "classics" deserve some form of respect even if you don't like them. There's a place for them amongst gaming history. And, exclusive franchises aside, all 3 of the major gaming companies have produced impressive pieces of hardware, even if some are lesser than others in technical specs, and that's more than I can do. The one thing I REALLY respect about Nintendo is that, like indie devs, they are daring and innovative, they don't care about trophies and microtransactions, they are a GAMING company, they care about games, and it shows, to me at least, and they're not afraid to go crazy and try new ideas with their consoles. Sometimes they work, sometimes they don't. But they have to be doing something right if Sony keeps taking their ideas and expanding upon them.

8. Much like with #1, one cannot what gaming really has to offer to the world if they stay exclusively on facebook and tablets. WHile these people could technically be considered "casual gamers" I guess (nothing wrong with that either) a lot of them do not yet grasp the full concept of gaming, and hopefully one day will. Now, I have found myself enjoying a few mobile games, don't get me wrong, but for me at least, the criteria to be a "gamer" involves just a tad more.

9. I think this one is more so common knowledge. I'm sure we can all agree there's a lot of "classics" out there and some of us go back to playing them even today. Retro gaming is not bad. Retro games are not bad.

10. This is more about the people who buy games based off their trophy list alone and could care less about the story/gameplay. if ANYONE is missing the point of gaming it is them. However, for those of us who do not abuse the privilege, there are those who would judge us for trophy hunting. Even if you're like me and beat the game once before trophy hunting. I've gotten funny looks from friends who don't get it when a trophy pops and I get excited. And I'm sure the people who buy games only because of trophies don't help when it comes to the counterculture's lesser opinion of the rest of us.

11. I need to tread carefully with this one. I will not lie, I have always maintained an open-minded "don't judge a book by it's cover" "don't knock it til you try it" attitude. I believe these sayings exist for a reason and so I live by them. That being said, obviously you know your tastes. But I would like to stress that there is an exception to every rule. In my case this was Spec Ops: The Line. I do not like military shooters and I have played numerous ones across many platforms to confirm this opinion so I was not basing it off of one game, but I LOVED Spec Ops: The Line. This is why I encourage others to be open-minded and step out of their shells every now and they, because they may be surprised. The only way a person can know 100% for sure if they like something or not, is to play it. Everything else is educated guesses or blind assumption. You are free to choose, of course, but I would only ask one thing in that case: if you so chose to not at least try a particular game then i would ask very kindly that you not expect anyone to take your opinion of it seriously. Because there is no way possible that anything you can say will hold more water than that of someone who has actually played said game. A reviewer cannot review a game they have not played, it is not possible. That same mentality applies here. Trailers and box-art alone are not enough, and can often times be misleading. Sometimes even demos aren't a very good representation of the finished product. I don't mean this condescendingly, obviously you are free to chose, as I said.

There, hopefully that sounds better. Now I'm open to debate and hopefully it can stay civil. Smiley Happy

Exophase Gamercard
Message 40 of 44 (72 Views)