Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Reply
Apr 04 2013
By: SlashZaku PlayStation MVP 41020 posts
Offline

Complete lapse of judgement...

11 replies 115 views Edited Apr 4, 2013

So, in one of those moments of "I know if I do this, something bad is going to happen", I put my cup of coffee on my bed frame as I moved some pillows (computer is next to my bed) and although there was only a little coffee left in the cup and most of it hit the floor (just missing the surge protector :smileyindifferent:), some of it did get onto the router/modem.  The thing was red/orange lighting and I dried it off, unplugged it and let it get some time off and now it seems to be working fine now but should I be worried?  Should I call AT&T and get a replacement?  We go through AT&T routers/modems every few years and I feel like the call is overdue anyways.  Don't want to explain the incident though to other family members in the house cause it's funny to me but it won't be to them (cup of coffee on the bed frame).

 

I'm more surprised by the amount that was on the floor *JUST* right there next to the surge protector having missed it (my TV, PS3, satelite box, and computer are all plugged into it).  Close call on that one.



Now Playing: Final Fantasy X HD

Message 1 of 12 (115 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
Registered: 09/04/2007
Offline
1983 posts
 

Re: Complete lapse of judgement...

Apr 4, 2013

Photobucket
Message 2 of 12 (108 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Keyblade Wielder
Registered: 10/02/2011
Offline
7464 posts
 

Re: Complete lapse of judgement...

Apr 4, 2013

Bad Slash. Bad.

 

I hate it when I do that. Or more so when the Mrs. Does it like that time she was leaving the house and put her laptop on the stairs and then a glass of water on the step above it..... I TOLD her to be careful "I'll be fine honey" she says....

 

She no longer has a laptop.

Message 3 of 12 (99 Views)
PlayStation MVP
Registered: 06/15/2009
Online
3433 posts
 

Re: Complete lapse of judgement...

Apr 4, 2013

SlashZaku wrote:

So, in one of those moments of "I know if I do this, something bad is going to happen", I put my cup of coffee on my bed frame as I moved some pillows (computer is next to my bed) and although there was only a little coffee left in the cup and most of it hit the floor (just missing the surge protector :smileyindifferent:), some of it did get onto the router/modem.  ....


Listen to your premonitions! Learn from this!

 

I lost a phone in the bathtub because I moved the phone. See, the premonition was that the cat would knock it in. So I moved it. Premonitions are changeable, but fate is not. (Eventually that phone turned on and mostly works, an LED light died. Don't know if it's charging unless it's on. If it dies now, it can take forever to get it charged and turn it on.

 

I've washed devices, not on purpose, in a load of clothing. Sometimes that's OK, other times, it is not. Just don't try to turn a device on until it's really dry. Opening a device up can void warranty's but it can also save a devices life. MOST warranties don't cover accidental deluges. 

 

If you have a premonition, run like #$%#%4.

 

As for your router/modem, it might be fine. As long as it's dry (don't want to fry anything) see if it works. If it does great. Do you lease that modem? 

 

Anyhow, modems/fouters usually don't do so well on the floor. Ineveitable, an accident is. Put in on a shelf, hang it on the wall (most of them have slots for this.)

Message 4 of 12 (92 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
Registered: 12/21/2007
Offline
48845 posts
 

Re: Complete lapse of judgement...

Apr 4, 2013

SlashZaku wrote:

So, in one of those moments of "I know if I do this, something bad is going to happen", I put my cup of coffee on my bed frame as I moved some pillows (computer is next to my bed) and although there was only a little coffee left in the cup and most of it hit the floor (just missing the surge protector :smileyindifferent:), some of it did get onto the router/modem.  The thing was red/orange lighting and I dried it off, unplugged it and let it get some time off and now it seems to be working fine now but should I be worried?  Should I call AT&T and get a replacement?  We go through AT&T routers/modems every few years and I feel like the call is overdue anyways.  Don't want to explain the incident though to other family members in the house cause it's funny to me but it won't be to them (cup of coffee on the bed frame).

 

I'm more surprised by the amount that was on the floor *JUST* right there next to the surge protector having missed it (my TV, PS3, satelite box, and computer are all plugged into it).  Close call on that one.



If they won't charge you to swap it I'd get it swapped.   However if it is working fine now you don't have anything to really worry about in my opinion.  

Message 5 of 12 (91 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
Registered: 06/15/2006
Offline
41020 posts
 

Re: Complete lapse of judgement...

Apr 4, 2013
The router/modem isn't on the floor, it's on a desk/shelf (very low) where the computer is. Most of the coffee seemed to be directed at it's back where everything plugged in. And it's probably not leased or I don't know what the hell AT&T does. I know on an occasion or 2, they've asked for the previous one back when they send us a new one but I have the last one in my room as well (in the closet). So they seem random about the things =\

And this isn't the first time I've had one of these moments with coffee. I remember one time I was sitting with roughly the same amount in the cup but I was holding the cup and when I went to move, my knee bumped the cup. Coffee all on my wall (you can still see where it hit). I don't learn and it's always that slight movement I make that causes it :smileyvery-happy: I'm just lucky it's never been a full/half cup.


Now Playing: Final Fantasy X HD

Message 6 of 12 (82 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
PlayStation Community Manager
Registered: 11/02/2010
Offline
4638 posts
 

Re: Complete lapse of judgement...

Apr 4, 2013

Snag a new one if it's under the cost of a cup of coffee. :smileywink:


Tempest_Fire | @strebeck
PlayStation Network Senior Community Manager
Sony Computer Entertainment America
Message 7 of 12 (78 Views)
PlayStation MVP
Registered: 12/28/2006
Online
32412 posts
 

Re: Complete lapse of judgement...

Apr 4, 2013

just get a new one.

if your family isnt very computer literate, make some BS about it being old and slowing down the internet and you need to get a new one. :smileytongue:


Message 8 of 12 (62 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
Registered: 06/15/2006
Offline
41020 posts
 

Re: Complete lapse of judgement...

Apr 4, 2013

the_original_se wrote:

just get a new one.

if your family isnt very computer literate, make some BS about it being old and slowing down the internet and you need to get a new one. :smileytongue:


I'll have to go over the thing with a wet paper towel cause it's kind of sticky.  Otherwise, as long as I leave out the coffee incident, it'll be business as usual if we have to get another.  I think the old one I mentioned is buggy.  It powers on and everything and shows you it's all green (DSL, Wireless, Power, Ethernet) but it really doesn't seem to connect despite that.  Other ones in the past have just had wonky wireless connections.  AT&T is just horrible with these things from my experience.

 

Something with a better UI would also be nice and the option to DMZ.



Now Playing: Final Fantasy X HD

Message 9 of 12 (52 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
Registered: 12/21/2007
Offline
48845 posts
 

Re: Complete lapse of judgement...

Apr 4, 2013

SlashZaku wrote:

the_original_se wrote:

just get a new one.

if your family isnt very computer literate, make some BS about it being old and slowing down the internet and you need to get a new one. :smileytongue:


I'll have to go over the thing with a wet paper towel cause it's kind of sticky.  Otherwise, as long as I leave out the coffee incident, it'll be business as usual if we have to get another.  I think the old one I mentioned is buggy.  It powers on and everything and shows you it's all green (DSL, Wireless, Power, Ethernet) but it really doesn't seem to connect despite that.  Other ones in the past have just had wonky wireless connections.  AT&T is just horrible with these things from my experience.

 

Something with a better UI would also be nice and the option to DMZ.


Does AT&T charge you a monthly rental fee for the modem/router?  If they do I would suggest, if the fee makes it worth it, to go buy your own equipment.

I did that @ my house and my speeds almost doubled!  Then again comcast was only giving me a docsys 1.0 modem and I bought the 2.0 version.  

 

 

Message 10 of 12 (48 Views)