65 posts

Message 11 of 44 (172 Views)
Welcoming Committee
32913 posts

Re: Dear Katie Couric and those regarding violence in video games

[ Edited ]
May 4, 2013

XxThalionxX wrote:

I am aware these types of stories are a dime a dozen, however in this case this particular one is making headliens on many news sites and forums, including gaming communities. I know I am posting this to a biased crowd..my point was not to 'ralley' the troups, as it were. My point in sharing this thought with you all was to help any of those whom would like to answer Katie's 'call' with hostility to not do so, and to do it with the real intellegnce we all posess. 

Two things:

1. Gamers are an ADMITTEDLY biased crowd.  We're biased and we know it.  We're honest about it.  Katie Couric is biased but will not admit it.  She pretends to be neutral and only interested in following the facts wherever they may lead.  This is called journalistic intergrity, of which she has none.  She starts with the sensationalistic conclusion and reverse-engineers fake facts in there to allow for the appearance of journalistic integrity to the casual observer.  I've heard her "news" before.  She will say things like:

"What do you say to people who are concerned about..."

"Some say that you are too..."

"Many believe that what you're doing is wrong..."

Who are those "concerned people"?  Who are the "some" who say?  Who are the "many" who believe?  She's not even good at pretending that she's not asking her own agenda and making it look like she's acting on someone else's behalf.  And if there are concerned people, some, and many, it's only because she and her friends have been fabricating fake news all week and then asking "probing questions" about these non-stories.  This is what I meant earlier when I called it a factless crusade.  She doesn't care about facts.  The facts don't agree with whatever narrative she was told to push, so the facts are ignored and replaced with emotional questions like:

"Don't you think it's wrong to make games that MAY lead to violence?"

"Don't you feel bad about the MANY children who have died?"

"Doesn't it bother you that SOME people feel you're evil for doing this?"

(emphasis mine)

Anything may lead to violence, but by asking it this way, she doesn't have to show a causative link.  If she would have asked it this way instead:

"Don't you think it's wrong to make games that (definitely) lead to violence?"

Then the person she's asking could say, "My games don't lead to violence.  Who told you they did?"  Then this would shut her down on the spot.  She would have to reveal her dubious sources as all being Bob on the 3rd floor of her office building.  This is why she doesn't ask it this way.  This is a blatant control of emotions rather than fact.  Anyone who takes a stand for the truth is made to look like the most horrible monster who ever walked the earth.  But that's OK.  That person is fed back into the news cycle and becomes the face of Evil Child-Killing Gamers Inc.  It only strengthens her attack on whatever she's attacking.  She's not stupid.  She's cruel and despicable, but not stupid.

2. Your plea not to answer Katie's call with hostility sounded noble at first.  But then it hit me.  You've been listening to Katie Couric too much and she's rubbing off on you.  You used the same passive-aggressive tone, called out from the same moral high ground.  You may not even see it yet, so let me tell you what I heard.

You're worried that since we are not very intelligent, we can only act on animal instict unless we try really really hard to use intelligence.  We have to go out to the wood shed (we all live in Hickville circa 1932), look really hard for some intelligence, dust off all the spiderwebs (because it hasn't been used for so long), and try to figure out how to use it.  I know it's asking a lot, but please at least TRY to be intelligent.  Don't blindly lash back at Katie Couric on the reactionary animal level where you spend 99% or more of your life.

This is what I heard you say.  And I'm not taking offense.  This is just what happens over time when you pay attention to Katie Couric.  You start saying the same kinds of things.

You see, every time America resists whatever narrative the Media is pushing that week, Katie Couric and her ilk go on a "fact finding" tour to find out why America is "angry", "lashing out", "unreasonable", "confused", "having a tantrum", or in a "backlash".  These are all things very young children do.  By asking the question, she is trying to make people who oppose her look like uneducated infants.  You can't have an intelligent discussion with an infant.  You give them a nap because they're cranky.

You have to be careful when you listen to people like Katie Couric.  After a while you begin to sound like them.  Guard your brain.  Filter out what people tell you.  I am very selective about what counts as truth, and who I will receive it from.  If you open up your mind to everyone, people will use it like a dumpster.  They will fill your head with garbage.

Katie Couric has several brushes that she uses to paint her opponents.  Uneducated children, evil people who must be stopped, crazy people, people "we" can't understand, etc.  None of these brushes are kind.  This is commonly called "demonizing your opponent".  Yes, it happens so often there is a term for it.  She doesn't want opposition.  She will paint you with one of these brushes and then treat you as that fictional person she created.  This is her job.

I had no thoughts of attacking Katie Couric because of her position on gaming.  I didn't even read the article, nor will I read the article.  If I said something like this to Katie Couric, she would claim it was "proof" that I didn't care about the facts.  Not so.  I already know how her mind works, and I know that whatever she is selling I don't want to buy.  I'm not going to spend the mental energy every single day trying to determine if she's finally telling the truth about something.  She never does.  I don't need the facts about her postion.  I have the facts about her.  She would first have to prove to me that she has changed (good luck there) before I entertain any "facts" out of her mouth.

And I really can't use enough sarcastic quotes around the word "facts".

If it was up to me, I would pull her off the air.  We have a 1st Amendment in this country, and one of the first things we did was use it to protect a free press.  What she is doing is not "free press".  This is not independent news.  The Founding Fathers most certainly would not have risked blood, life, money, property, and reputation to protect the rights of Katie Couric lying to America.  She is not what they fought for.  She is the opposite.  If it was up to me, she and her buddies in the Media would no longer qualify to be protected by the 1st Amendment.  There should be a litmus test to determine if what you're doing is really a "free press" as protected in the Constitution. Whatever that litmus test might be, Katie Couric would fail it.  There is no doubt.

This is not a knee-jerk reaction to her article.  This is not an animalistic response, or a childish tantrum.  I have put much thought into this, perhaps more than anyone else at this forum.  So you can calm your fears that I might lash out like a child and do something stupid.  It's not going to happen.  I don't keep my intelligence locked up out back in the woodshed.

Message 12 of 44 (149 Views)
PlayStation MVP
15678 posts

May 4, 2013

All I know is, after playing Mario Kart I feel, nay, I must, throw banana peels at cars I feel are getting too close.

Message 13 of 44 (137 Views)
Treasure Hunter
5381 posts

May 4, 2013

Don't care too much for the topic, but she has great legs!!

Message 14 of 44 (130 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
11164 posts

May 4, 2013

Over the years that I've been here, I've written more than a few posts on this particular topic. I'm nearing the 40 year mark in life. Over the years I've seen so many things blamed for the violence in the US and rarely are the true culprits named: lack of parenting, lack of ethics, mental instability.

The common scapegoats are; Music, Television, Books, Movies, Drugs, Alcohol, Video Games, the Internet, First Person Shooters, Lack of God.

Humanity has long been violent. It's not a new concept. It's not a new problem. But all new emerging techonology will be blamed at some point for some of the ills of this society and of humanity at large. Three thousand years ago man killed man in the name of one God or another. Man killed man for the land he owned, the livestock he owned, the money in his wallet. Where were the video games then? Where were the movies?

The Salem Witch Trials. No video games to blame there. Slavery. No television there. Heck slavery was condoned by more than a few branches of Christianity. The Civil War. Can't blame heavy metal or rap music for this atrocity. What about the birth of the KKK? Elvis wasn't around then. What about the Spanish Inquisition? Can't blame Halo of DOOM for this can you?

I'm sure we can blame drugs and alcohol for some of the troubles, but what about the root causes behind the use and abuse of intoxicants? Child abuse. Child neglect. Split families. Insanity. Etc... What about the ones who kill that never played a video game in their life? Yeah, I'm sure something else influenced them.

Why don't we look to the real problems? Mental health is considered a taboo subject for many people. Some people are simply evil. Doesn't matter if they had 2 loving parents and all the money, toys and things they could want. Doesn't matter if they were beaten or not. There are some people that are pure evil.

Video games can have a negative impact on some people. Just like anything else out there. But while high profile idiots are scrambling around looking for something to blame, video gamers are scrambling around trying to prove that games aren't the problem. I could list several ways that video games have helped me out over the years. One prime example is they help me cope with the physical pain I live with on a regular basis. More than even the pain medication does.

Instead of looking for scapegoats, lets look to the real problems instead. Lack of employment. 2 wars. Fear over terrorism. Misplaced fears that the government's going to take your guns from you. Etc. So many real issues, why make more?

Message 15 of 44 (127 Views)
PlayStation MVP
32478 posts

May 4, 2013

there needs to be a law put in place where if youre older than 50 years your opinions about video games dont matter.

tired of all these old people complaining about things they know nothing about. im sure 99% of her knowledge about video games is second hand info given to her by other people who complain about violence.

Message 16 of 44 (121 Views)
0 Likes
VP of Gaming
29724 posts

May 4, 2013

the_original_se wrote:

there needs to be a law put in place where if youre older than 50 years your opinions about video games dont matter.

tired of all these old people complaining about things they know nothing about. im sure 99% of her knowledge about video games is second hand info given to her by other people who complain about violence.

Thats pretty messed up and ignorant not all elders think the same you know

Message 17 of 44 (114 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
6437 posts

May 4, 2013

Blaming the Video Games is a poor excuse every person decides their own path and are responsible of their own destiny they know what good and or what bad  blaming games on their decicions in life is just another excuse to escape from their own errors that they know they did

KANE-FIRE

Twitter  Welcoming Committee [INFO] Final Fantasy Type-0 HD WWE 2K15 Game Nights [INFO] WWE2K15 [INFO] Resident Evil Revelations 2 [INFO] Resident Evil HD Youtube 

Message 18 of 44 (113 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
11164 posts

May 4, 2013

the_original_se wrote:

There are people that are older than 50 who have extensive knowledge of video games and have been playing them as long as I have. However if anything, if you do not play video games and you have not done an actual scientific study, then your opinion has no value.

Sad thing is, I'm willing to be that this was a ratings stunt, or it was done with the sole intent of riling people up.

Message 19 of 44 (109 Views)
0 Likes
Last Guardian
11107 posts

May 4, 2013
Who's Katie Couric? :smileyvery-happy:
Message 20 of 44 (106 Views)