Do you mean 
PlayStation MVP
11160 posts

Re: Dear Katie Couric and those regarding violence in video games

[ Edited ]
May 4, 2013

renatabls wrote:
Who's Katie Couric? :smileyvery-happy:

Not entirely sure who she is per se, just know of her by reputation. Which is not pleasant for anyone who can think for themselves. I think she's a Fox News personality or show host type person. She's big with Republican/Tea Party fanatics.

I was mostly wrong. She's with ABC news now.

Please use plain text.
Message 21 of 44 (165 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
31924 posts

[ Edited ]
May 4, 2013

PapaWarlock wrote:

the_original_se wrote:

there needs to be a law put in place where if youre older than 50 years your opinions about video games dont matter.

tired of all these old people complaining about things they know nothing about. im sure 99% of her knowledge about video games is second hand info given to her by other people who complain about violence.

There are people that are older than 50 who have extensive knowledge of video games and have been playing them as long as I have. However if anything, if you do not play video games and you have not done an actual scientific study, then your opinion has no value.

Sad thing is, I'm willing to be that this was a ratings stunt, or it was done with the sole intent of riling people up.

should have said over 50 and know nothing about video games, because thats what i was getting at.

video games as a medium are beyond them, and they see it and hear about what you can do and suddenly they are worst than Hitler.

its mostly old people who say these things about video games, and the other ones are mothers who do the "think of the children" thing.

Please use plain text.
Message 22 of 44 (164 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
31924 posts

[ Edited ]
May 4, 2013

please go back on topic. you would have seen that i didnt mean all people over 50.

Edit: Removed off-topic content.

Please use plain text.
Message 23 of 44 (125 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation Moderator
2884 posts

May 4, 2013

Friendly reminder to keep all posts on-topic and respectful! Thank you. :smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
Message 24 of 44 (96 Views)
PlayStation MVP
4098 posts

May 4, 2013

I understand why video games are getting more flak than movies or music, as of late. (the argument of controlling violence opposed to watching violence.) But, in my experience -- some violent video games help relieve stress. In my opinion, it's no different than going out to a shooting range and popping off a few shots.

To be honest, I'm not even completely sure I would have safely made it in to my twenties, without playing games like "GTA" and "Postal" on my PC.

But, there are still people who like to blame violence in any type of media. Most recently, Tarantino got crap for his violent "Django Unchained." This was his response to the situation.

I think this can be said for video games, music, television, or even books.

If you are not right in the head, you are more than likely going to do these bad things anyway. Regardless of what you play, watch, read, or listen to.

"You must make a friend of horror. Horror and moral terror are your friends. If they are not then they are enemies to be feared."

Please use plain text.
Message 25 of 44 (74 Views)
0 Likes
Welcoming Committee
32749 posts

May 4, 2013

PapaWarlock wrote:

Why don't we look to the real problems? Mental health is considered a taboo subject for many people. Some people are simply evil. Doesn't matter if they had 2 loving parents and all the money, toys and things they could want. Doesn't matter if they were beaten or not. There are some people that are pure evil.

Video games can have a negative impact on some people. Just like anything else out there. But while high profile idiots are scrambling around looking for something to blame, video gamers are scrambling around trying to prove that games aren't the problem. I could list several ways that video games have helped me out over the years. One prime example is they help me cope with the physical pain I live with on a regular basis. More than even the pain medication does.

Definitely some people are just plain evil.  There's no explaining it away.  There's no trying to understand them.  There's no good in trying to see how we as a society have failed them.  They're evil and that's all there is to it.  There is nothing beneath that.

True, video games may have a negative impact on some people, and may even cause a "tipping point", but I've yet to see anyone prove the tipping point.  As soon as the police find a cartidge for Mario Kart in the killer's bedroom, the Video Game Nazis swoop in and scream, HE BECAME A KILLER BECAUSE OF VIDEO GAMES!  There's no proof that this caused a tipping point of any kind.  Simply the existence of a game proves to them that it was the cause.  But this is only because they are desperately trying to prove something, without using verifiable facts.  Don't expect the Katie Courics of this world to tell you the game they foiund in the killer's bedroom was Mario Kart either.  That little tidbit shall be buried as being "not newsworthy".

Do they do the same with a coffee mug?  Maybe drinking coffee drove the guy to mow down 50 people at a McDonalds with a machine gun.  Maybe he was breating air.  OH NOES!  Oxygen breathing has been linked to almost 100% of our crime, you know.  Just because there is a connection, this doesn't mean there's a causal link.  For all we know, Mario Kart was preventing him from snapping out for the last 10 years.  And if it has been holding him back or letting him blow off steam harmlessly, don't expect to see that reported on the ABCNNBCBS* news.

And again, maybe the guy was just plain evil.  Whether he was plaing Mario Kart or Death Killers 3: The Bloodletting, he was going to go on an evil rampage and kill people.  The game itself had nothing to do with his being evil.  There is no causal link.

* ABCNNBCBS is one big glob of "independant journalists" who somehow all think alike and say exactly the same things on the same days.  It's kinda creepy if you record the news on multiple channels and compare the words they use.  ABC, CNN, NBC, and CBS may look like different news outlets, but they're all pretty much the same, and deliver the same narrative.  ABCNNBCBS is another term I like to use to describe the "Media".  There's also:

Lamestream Media

Old Media

Yesterday's Media

Dying Media

etc.

Please use plain text.
Message 26 of 44 (68 Views)
Welcoming Committee
32749 posts

May 4, 2013

renatabls wrote:
Who's Katie Couric? :smileyvery-happy:

Best answer yet.

Hopefully in a few years, nobody will be able to answer this.  Meaning of course, that she has been lost in the sands of obscurity, never to be remembered again.

Please use plain text.
Message 27 of 44 (67 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
65 posts

May 4, 2013
Great thought provocing thoughts by all. My goal of this post was not to provocate fear nor fall trap to a social agenda. As a 30 year old gamer knowing this community is largely young, I wanted to urge thought into this matter. Its an age old argument, I know. But that doesn't mean the gaming community's response has to be as equally aged.
Please use plain text.
Message 28 of 44 (62 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5357 posts

May 4, 2013

What's your intelligent take on this, then?

I think people's answers have been good so far, considering the topic. 

Please use plain text.
Message 29 of 44 (54 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
65 posts

May 4, 2013

My intellegent take is this; the topic of violence in video games causing real world violence is nothing but a means to shift blame on an easy target. It always has been since the early 90's and will always be as long as politicians, news outlets or whoever else can use it to garner themselves attention. I dont know if anyone else as seen it yet today, but a story just broke about a 13 year old slicing the neck of a 14 year old 'Gears Of War' style, supposedly influenced by the game itself. News stories like this will always happen, it will get a flint of media coverage and eventually die out. I was a gamer kid when the ESRB was introduced, my parents took noticed and judged accordingly. That's what needs to happen...parents need to be involved and be proactive. But we all know that is not going to be a universal miracle that will suddenly happen.  

This topic will never go away,  and I could care less what media outlets put out about it and whatever their agenda may be. I'm an educated, married male that knows better than to be swayed by propoganda media. I dont take lightly to my intelligence being insulted, as should none of you!  However what I do care about is how the gaming community as a whole would respond to these accusatons and if I can have even the tiniest bit of influence on how a fellow gamer can respond with intellegence to this beaten dead horse of a topic, then I feel Ive surved the gaming community, if even by one person. 

Please use plain text.
Message 30 of 44 (47 Views)