May 4, 2013

Years ago when there was no video games people used to be violent as well guys

Message 31 of 44 (105 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
65 posts

Re: Dear Katie Couric and those regarding violence in video games

May 4, 2013

It's insulting that the mediea pretends like we dont realize that very fact, Hitman. 

Message 32 of 44 (102 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5811 posts

May 4, 2013

They are making themselves look bad, not the video games. 

While media does affect public opinions, I don't see this case to be harmful to the video game industry in any way.

Let it be. 

Message 33 of 44 (93 Views)
PlayStation MVP
65 posts

May 4, 2013

Very true ID-69, I completely agree. As far as 'letting it be', Im not saying people should be picketing and statring a fury about it. Thats just silly. However it is still a topic within our community and this one happened to have had larger attention than any most recent. Discussions as this one here in this thread only help educate and broaden ideas, nomatter the topic.  

Message 34 of 44 (89 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
7297 posts

May 4, 2013

There have been numerous studies done by sociologisits and crimologists to find a coorelation between violent video games and deviant activities. All studies, however, have proven that violent video games do not cause a person commit a crime.

David Jaffe wrote on Twitter a few months ago, responding to a news anchor who was speaking with a sociologist on one of these studies. During this conversation, the new anchor continued to insinuate that video games were the main culprit.

In the end, news anchors usually have no idea what they're talking about; they only regurgitate what their bosses tell them to say. The evening news is a program where the news anchor starts with "Good evening" and then proceeds to tell you why it is not a good evening.

soco signature

bhd clan site
mvp terms
forum rules
Message 35 of 44 (77 Views)
PlayStation MVP
11171 posts

[ Edited ]
May 4, 2013

XxThalionxX wrote:

My intellegent take is this; the topic of violence in video games causing real world violence is nothing but a means to shift blame on an easy target. It always has been since the early 90's and will always be as long as politicians, news outlets or whoever else can use it to garner themselves attention. I dont know if anyone else as seen it yet today, but a story just broke about a 13 year old slicing the neck of a 14 year old 'Gears Of War' style, supposedly influenced by the game itself. News stories like this will always happen, it will get a flint of media coverage and eventually die out.

I was a gamer kid when the ESRB was introduced, my parents took noticed and judged accordingly. That's what needs to happen...parents need to be involved and be proactive. But we all know that is not going to be a universal miracle that will suddenly happen.  

I don't know your age Thalion, but back in the 1991 when I was 16 or 17 (not sure when it happened exactly) there was a young boy by the name of Shawn Novak who murdered two young children (both kids were under 10). He claimed they were Kender, a race from DragonLance (Dungeons & Dragons) and the 2 boys had to be killed because Kender are evil. (Anyone who's played DragonLance knows better than that). At the time Shawn was 16 years old or so when he did it. So video games aren't the only thing that have ever been directly blamed for acts of horror. I used to play D&D. I hated seeing D&D being blamed for it when D&D wasn't the cause of it. Just like I hate seeing video games blamed.

What is kind of sad is the amount of evil done in the name of religion that is often overlooked by the bulk of Americans.But it's safe and kosher to blame music, media and video games for those evils instead.

I was nearly an adult..... Take that back, I just looked it up, the ESRB was formed in 1994, so I was an adult (20). However even without the ESRB my mother knew most of the games I played in the house. Like most kids I did sneak in a few that she didn't like, but that's nearly par for course with teens. I also was taught the difference between right and wrong, between fantasy and reality. I know what my daughter plays when she plays video games. I know mostly where she goes on the internet.

Being a parent and taking a part in your child's life can make all the difference in the world. I can only hope that as more gamers grow up and become parents themselves that they follow this and pay attention to what their children play. Teach them the difference between right & wrong, between fantasy and reality, and where to turn if they need help with any thing, especially cyber bullying.

Message 36 of 44 (73 Views)
First Son
19 posts

May 4, 2013
Blaming video games for violence in real world is 'non sense' ...
I have been gaming since I was a child and whenever I have been violent or into fights I never ever though of Modern Warfare, GTA, or Manhunt style violence to hurt others..

Video games seems to be an easy target for these people..
Message 37 of 44 (66 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
6426 posts

[ Edited ]
May 5, 2013

XxThalionxX wrote:

Katie Couric;

You made a call to 'gamers', Katie, to defend the violence in video games. I am not going to fall prey to this grandiose 'call out'. But instead, this 'gamer' will offer up a counter challenge to you and to anyone that may feel pointing fingers at this entertainment medium as a source of violence and terrorist training is justified. My challenge is this; If you truly think video games are a source of inherent violence and malevolence in today's culture, I urge you to sit down and play what you complain about but freely give to your children when they want it, even though an age limit is on the box that you ignore. Take in the content of the accused games and remember it. When you have a solid understanding of whatever offence you have with the game, shut it off and then turn on CNN News, Fox News or even your local news and watch the entire broadcast. I would like you to compare the video game you just played to the news broadcast you just watched. Of the two comparing sources, which contains the most real world violence and uplifting of violent figures?

You were quick to bring Adam Lanza to light, saying he played violent video games. But for how many days did news outlets post Adam's face on every single broadcast, detailing his life and the events of the Newtown massacre in the most provocative and enthralling manner as if we were watching a summer blockbuster unfold right before our eyes...and our children's eyes.

Throughout history, violence has begat tragedy, and tragedy, violence. When senseless crimes occur, be it a shooting or terrorist attack, the very first thing everyone always asks themselves and the media is 'why?'. And inevitably, that question can never be answered with a justifiable reason or explanation, leaving people confused and ever searching for an explanation or justification to calm the confusion within themselves. Because of this, people begin pointing fingers and laying blame on the things that could be easy scapegoats in order to be able purge themselves of the confusion they have, even if the scapegoats are without direct connection to the offense; music, movies, public figures and in your case of blame Katie Couric, violence in electronic entertainment such as video games.

You made Adam Lanza an anti-hero while parents waited to find out if their child was still alive or not. Was that in the best interests of today's kids or was it in the interest of your ratings? What about the coverage of the Boston bombings and the cheering as we shot down a suspect and carried away another. But that was Patriotism and justice, not violence, right?

But video games are definitely the source of violence.....right?

im sorry but  i  to  agree  with ms couric, you  can blame everything for someones actions   true.. but games are  to violent today  how  do you go from  pong to gears  of war like  games..

What  are the kids asking for today  cod or   block cascade fusion( my favorite  game btw)? what are they playing after school.?. yes it wrong to generallize everyone in a  big group but at the same  time violence sells everything from music to games, clothing. She has  a  good point..  I think gaming  should go back  to  making diverse games and genres  rather just a blood fest of  violence..

Silent hill  was a horror game  and cod is more violent.. That should not  that be the case??

Im not saying gamers  are going to end up like  that kid who killed, becuase thats  really his mom  fault the community fault of what happen to them, for allowing a mentally ill  kid  shoot weapons at a gun range.. It was bad parenting. I think cod had very little to do  with it.

But    i do agree with the point  games are getting to  violent, i dont agree with genralization of gamers tho and  games make themdo violent acts.. But projective point games are getting to  violent is  correct.. Thats all  you see today  violent games.. alot are tired of it

Mcbuttz78

vp-psn legioniaree group.

Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past, Wisdom is of the future

Message 38 of 44 (57 Views)
0 Likes
Welcoming Committee
32941 posts

May 5, 2013

mcbuttz78 wrote:

Im not saying gamers  are going to end up like  that kid who killed, becuase thats  really his mom  fault the community fault of what happen to them, for allowing a mentally ill  kid  shoot weapons at a gun range.. It was bad parenting. I think cod had very little to do  with it.

Always someone racing to blame crimes on mental illness.  Most criminals are perfectly sane but thoroughly evil.  I know a lot of people like to think that "people are basically good", but that's clearly wrong.  People in general are thoroughly evil, and Government's primary reason for existence is to protect people from other people.

PapaWarlock wrote:
I don't know your age Thalion, but back in the 1991 when I was 16 or 17 (not sure when it happened exactly) there was a young boy by the name of Shawn Novak who murdered two young children (both kids were under 10). He claimed they were Kender, a race from DragonLance (Dungeons & Dragons) and the 2 boys had to be killed because Kender are evil. (Anyone who's played DragonLance knows better than that). At the time Shawn was 16 years old or so when he did it. So video games aren't the only thing that have ever been directly blamed for acts of horror. I used to play D&D. I hated seeing D&D being blamed for it when D&D wasn't the cause of it. Just like I hate seeing video games blamed.

I well remember the Media's attacks against Dungeons and Dragons.  I used to play all the time back in the day.  They said it was devil worship, an insidious plot, and all the usual nonsense you might expect.  The people denouncing D&D back then sounded just like the people denouncing video games today.  None of them knew the first thing about what they were saying.  None of them spent any mental effort to understand what they were saying before they said it.

I remember one of them used the cover of the Player's Handbook as "proof" that the people playing the game were engaging in devil worship.  These were the same people who went around saying that KISS (the rock band) stood for Knights In Satan's Service.  Um, no it really doesn't.  You can twist things around and pretend that anything stands for whatever you want, but that doesn't mean it's true.  They also said AC/DC stood for Anti-Christ/Devil's Child.  What a stretch.  I can make up meanings for stuff too.

Message 39 of 44 (43 Views)
PlayStation MVP
16564 posts

May 5, 2013

They used the Playstation handbook as "proof" oh, I gotta see this...I wonder if I can find that anywhere, as far as what they were pointing at as evidence, I love rediculous stories like this.

Message 40 of 44 (40 Views)
0 Likes