Welcoming Committee
34421 posts

Re: Dear Katie Couric and those regarding violence in video games

May 5, 2013

Setzaroth wrote:

They used the Playstation handbook as "proof" oh, I gotta see this...I wonder if I can find that anywhere, as far as what they were pointing at as evidence, I love rediculous stories like this.

Player's Handbook.

The cover looked sorta demonic.

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.chuck-a-con.net/ADD_Players_Handbook_Old_p1.jpg&imgre...

But if you look closer, you can see there are two thieves stealing the jewels out of that idol's eyes.  It wasn't a command to worship that picture.  It was more an indication of strategy than anything else.  The whole game was based on the Lord of the RIngs and a Middle Earth-type world.

And of course the people who said this was proof of demon worship would never let you see the cover up close.

These are the same people (in general) who said the Harry Potter books and movies were demon worship.  Well there arew wizards after all, so it must be evil right?  But they didn't have a problem with Lord of the Rings because the one wizard was good.  You can analyze the stories all you want, but basically they both have the same elements and characters.  Then they were forced to say that Harry Potter was evil because he kept breaking the rules and getting rewarded for it.  Well yeah, but there are a billion stories like that and they aren't called devil worship.  J.R. Ewing from Dallas was completely evil and broke every rule there was.  They never went after him as an example of devil worship.

I see no substantive difference between Harry Potter and Lord of the Rings, other than LOTR is a much better story.  They both have good wizards, evil sorcerors, non-human creatures like elves, castles, adventures, magical items, etc.  But one is based on D&D and the other inspired the creation of D&D.  So how can one be good and the other evil?

It was just another one of these factless crusades against the evils of _________.

Insert what you will.

D&D

Video games

Assault rifles

Tropical oils

"Bullying"

32-oz sodas

Message 41 of 44 (65 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
6593 posts

May 8, 2013

Mcbuttz78

vp-psn legioniaree group.

Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past, Wisdom is of the future

Message 42 of 44 (44 Views)
VP of Gaming
33369 posts

May 8, 2013

i dont think we have anything to worry about anyway.. its not like they are going to ban videogames or something... they seem to be concentrated on gun control and bombs and people who were kidnapped 10 years ago and found

they dont worry about the important stuff such as getting more jobs for americans and legalizing marijuana.

Message 43 of 44 (42 Views)
0 Likes
Highlighted
Treasure Hunter
6593 posts

[ Edited ]
May 9, 2013

DrGadget wrote:

mcbuttz78 wrote:

Im not saying gamers  are going to end up like  that kid who killed, becuase thats  really his mom  fault the community fault of what happen to them, for allowing a mentally ill  kid  shoot weapons at a gun range.. It was bad parenting. I think cod had very little to do  with it.

Always someone racing to blame crimes on mental illness.  Most criminals are perfectly sane but thoroughly evil.  I know a lot of people like to think that "people are basically good", but that's clearly wrong.  People in general are thoroughly evil, and Government's primary reason for existence is to protect people from other people.

PapaWarlock wrote:
I don't know your age Thalion, but back in the 1991 when I was 16 or 17 (not sure when it happened exactly) there was a young boy by the name of Shawn Novak who murdered two young children (both kids were under 10). He claimed they were Kender, a race from DragonLance (Dungeons & Dragons) and the 2 boys had to be killed because Kender are evil. (Anyone who's played DragonLance knows better than that). At the time Shawn was 16 years old or so when he did it. So video games aren't the only thing that have ever been directly blamed for acts of horror. I used to play D&D. I hated seeing D&D being blamed for it when D&D wasn't the cause of it. Just like I hate seeing video games blamed.

I well remember the Media's attacks against Dungeons and Dragons.  I used to play all the time back in the day.  They said it was devil worship, an insidious plot, and all the usual nonsense you might expect.  The people denouncing D&D back then sounded just like the people denouncing video games today.  None of them knew the first thing about what they were saying.  None of them spent any mental effort to understand what they were saying before they said it.

I remember one of them used the cover of the Player's Handbook as "proof" that the people playing the game were engaging in devil worship.  These were the same people who went around saying that KISS (the rock band) stood for Knights In Satan's Service.  Um, no it really doesn't.  You can twist things around and pretend that anything stands for whatever you want, but that doesn't mean it's true.  They also said AC/DC stood for Anti-Christ/Devil's Child.  What a stretch.  I can make up meanings for stuff too.

Yes  agree I  all men are evil but the sole purpose of man is to help and  love  another, not destroy  each other..  yes they look for  scape goat and  blame  mentally ill for  crimes... Being sad  is the same a mentally  ill , so is being  angry all the time..  Just  like homeless ness  it can happen overnight it doesnt  take years  it  for happen.  The kid  was ill and they knew he was ill in the mind..

the  chinese proverb saying goes.  "Every crooked line creates a pattern( design)".. So in small everyone is some  what mentally ill. But not  to the  point of destrustion that comes with shaping a pattern  by  design( repitetion)..  "What ever you do best others will alllow you will do  it well".  That is what happen with the mentally ill kid they allowed  him to become that design of destruction they knew  his state of being(mentally challenged).  Rather than get him the help he need to inspire  himself  and others to do postive with that state  of  being. They allowed him  destroy.

They didnt care at the  end of the day.They Wait Till something bad happened

Mcbuttz78

vp-psn legioniaree group.

Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past, Wisdom is of the future

Message 44 of 44 (40 Views)
0 Likes