Mar 03 2014
By: Box9Missingo Welcoming Committee 7578 posts

[Discussion and Debate] The unofficial video game discussion and debate thread.

[ Edited ]
90 replies 235 views Edited Apr 4, 2014

Got inspired on the forums by a couple of other members who were debating Kingdom Hearts in my review thread.

This will be the place for sane discussion and debate of video games. On any system, not just Playstation related. 

Now onto the guidelines:

1 Absolutely NO trolling. If that's all you can resort to in a discussion or a debate, then you shouldn't be posting in this thread. That isn't what this thread is here for. It's for intelligent discussion/debate. Not making fun of others points, etc.

2 Try to at least post a source if you can that backs up your point or if you're trying to show why you think a game isn't good. Or at least put in some effort when you discuss why you like a game or why you don't. 

3 When the other person is discussing their side, please take the time to read the sources they posted. Even if you disagree on it, you might find something in the article to help add to your side.

4 Try not to get angry if someone presses you on an issue. This also lends to rule 1. Don't stoop down to the other posters level. If you feel as if they're going too far in regards to the debate, let me know via PM (for basic issues, so we can sort it out) or if it's even further than that, let a mod know. But if it's just a minor issue, let the person know that you don't want to discuss it further. ONLY if it's a serious problem, do you let a mod know.

* These guidelines will be added onto/changed if need be.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

*New topic for this upcoming week (this week flew by  :smileytongue:, didn't have time to make a topic. Sorry :smileysad:) -- Everything and anything related to the Kirby series.*

Good old Kirby.

What do you like and dislike about each kind of Kirby game? What are ways that they can be improved? Feel free to add in any questions via the debate and discussion to make it more lively/add more to the topic.

I'm the mediator here so I most likely won't be taking part in the discussion/debate. My job is to keep an eye on the overall discussion/debate.

Also, from now on... feel free to suggest new gaming series topics. I'll edit them into this post and the choose a random one for each week's discussion. Thanks :robothappy:.

Suggestions for thread topics...

I always wanted to hear a coherent debate between two rival open world video games like Saints Row and Grand Theft Auto, and what is comparable and different between the two series, and the pros and cons with each game. <-- from Younginflavor18

God of War series discussion/debate.

Box9Missingo

Kirby series

Box9Missingo

Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 91 (235 Views)
PlayStation MVP
46812 posts

Re: The unofficial video game discussion and debate thread.

[ Edited ]
Mar 3, 2014

Great idea, we are actually discussing doing a series like this on the MVP board for general debate ideas, yours is specific to video games though so they don't conflict. 

I don't have much experience or opinion on the WWE but wanted your thread in my post history as I am interested to keep an eye out for some games I will debate on.   

Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 91 (225 Views)
Welcoming Committee
7578 posts

Mar 3, 2014

PLYMCO_PILGRIM wrote:

Great idea, we are actually discussing doing a series like this on the MVP board for general debate ideas, yours is specific to video games though so they don't conflict. 

I don't have much experience or opinion on the WWE but wanted your thread in my post history as I am interested to keep an eye out for some games I will debate on.   

Cool, Plymco. That's a great idea. Hope that thread works out there.

Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 91 (217 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1942 posts

Mar 3, 2014

I cannot debate on WWE games because it has been a while since I touch one of those games ( since WWE 2008).  I would love to debate on other games when they are added.  Great thread. 

Need a Hand? Contact Me.

Proud Member Of The PlayStation LifeStyle Ambassador Program.

Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 91 (210 Views)
0 Likes
Welcoming Committee
7578 posts

[ Edited ]
Mar 3, 2014

darkforcegod wrote:

I cannot debate on WWE games because it has been a while since I touch one of those games ( since WWE 2008).  I would love to debate on other games when they are added.  Great thread. 

Thanks.

For fun then, there's no harm in answering the questions in general. If you'd like. The more, the better. Even if it's about the older games. And it's not just debate, it's a discussion. So if you have something to add, feel free. 

Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 91 (204 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1942 posts

Mar 3, 2014

Box9Missingo wrote:

darkforcegod wrote:

Thanks.

For fun then, there's no harm in answering the questions in general. If you'd like. The more, the better. Even if it's about the older games. And it's not just debate, it's a discussion. So if you have something to add, feel free. 

Well when I was way younger I was very angry about how ugly the public on the games were hahaha.  Now I would like to try a new WWE title but when it comes to PS4.  it would be good to remember some good memories.  I used to look at the Divas and create a very huge custom character with a lot of muscle and then "kill"  all other wrestlers on the different modes. 

Need a Hand? Contact Me.

Proud Member Of The PlayStation LifeStyle Ambassador Program.

Please use plain text.
Message 6 of 91 (200 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
4482 posts

[ Edited ]
Mar 3, 2014

Well every year they just add minor changes to the game. Smackdown vs Raw 2011 was my last previous WWE/YUKES game so I noticed a lot of different things in 2K14 but when you compare the game to WWE 12 and WWE 13 you can see only a handful of improvements. The Create a Superstar needs to be completely re-done, CAWs look nothing like the default wrestlers in the game, which is my main problem with it and some clothing items don't look as good on CAWs as they do on guys already in the game. There's also a bunch of problems still in the game but that's too much to list.

What I like about the game is Universe Mode. Majority of people would say they need to bring back GM mode but I'm fine with Universe Mode because it's pretty much a mix of GM Mode and Universe Mode. The OMG moments which makes matches a little bit more special.

I wish they would've kept in past wrestlers, Eddie Guerrero is in the game but he makes no appearance in 30 Years of Wrestlemania so why couldn't they keep in the Usos, Booker T, Trish Stratus, Evan Bourne etc. They also took out John Morrison's entrance out the game but kept his move-set but they keep Ted DiBiase's entrance and move-set?

I also missed the licensed songs, 2K14 has a jukebox so you can choose what songs play but the licensed songs are so much better than majority of the current songs. 

Some of my favorites were

JayJay 2515 signature
Please use plain text.
Message 7 of 91 (194 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
5805 posts

Mar 3, 2014

Nice job of a thread, Box. 

What I like about the WWE video games is the character customization, the movesets for starring and unlocked wrestlers, the story modes and somewhat intersting storylines (e.g., WWE SamckDown vs. Raw/2006/2007, WWE Day of Reckoning 1 and 2, and Wrestlemania XIX), the soundtrack, and different match types.

The only parts I have a disliking for the current WWE games is the lack of intergender matches compared to how it was back then when there was no such limitation. The online experience is another part I dislike about the games in their current states due to some players resorting to create moves for their wrestlers that are pretty unblockable or irreversible such as the Spike Headbutt, The "Choke of Doom" in SvR 2009 if you made a finishing move in Create-A-Finishing Move, and spamming the same moves in a match.

What I would like to see in future WWE games are the return of arcade-ladder like storylines, the Create-A-Taunt feature that was introduced in Here Comes The Pain, Challenge Modes, and an advanced in-game shop where I can purchase more customization items for the Create-A-Superstar mode, more weapons, unlockable wrestlers, more movesets, and furniture that can be used in your locker room similar to that of WWE SmackDown vs Raw 2007.

Please use plain text.
Message 8 of 91 (193 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
5391 posts

Mar 3, 2014

Here my pro/cons about the WWE games

Pros

They update their roster each which is good having some of new athletes in the game.Not only that but they also add a few things each year like new modes,custom tools etc.

The games are good you will enjoy then a lot more if you are a fan of the WWE shows which is the fanbase they target when making these games.Some of the storylines they add in their games are of things that happens in the WWE so if you want to have an experience like if you were  Superstart/Diva then is worth a try.

Cons.

They release a new game each year while this is good it is also bad.Sometimes the past entry is way better than the one released in the current year due to the huge amount of bugs during online play.Not to mention sometimes they get lazy and they don't add much things in the newest entry  of the series another thing would be that the graphics in the game get worse instead of getting better.

Overall they are good games especially if you are a WWE fan however don't expect fluent online gaming from these games.

KANE-FIRE

Twitter   Welcoming Committee  [INFO] Final Fantasy Type-0 HD[INFO] WWE2K15  Youtube

Please use plain text.
Message 9 of 91 (184 Views)
0 Likes
Welcoming Committee
7578 posts

Mar 3, 2014

JayJay2515 wrote:

Well every year they just add minor changes to the game. Smackdown vs Raw 2011 was my last previous WWE/YUKES game so I noticed a lot of different things in 2K14 but when you compare the game to WWE 12 and WWE 13 you can see only a handful of improvements. The Create a Superstar needs to be completely re-done, CAWs look nothing like the default wrestlers in the game, which is my main problem with it and some clothing items don't look as good on CAWs as they do on guys already in the game. There's also a bunch of problems still in the game but that's too much to list.

What I like about the game is Universe Mode. Majority of people would say they need to bring back GM mode but I'm fine with Universe Mode because it's pretty much a mix of GM Mode and Universe Mode. The OMG moments which makes matches a little bit more special.

I wish they would've kept in past wrestlers, Eddie Guerrero is in the game but he makes no appearance in 30 Years of Wrestlemania so why couldn't they keep in the Usos, Booker T, Trish Stratus, Evan Bourne etc. They also took out John Morrison's entrance out the game but kept his move-set but they keep Ted DiBiase's entrance and move-set?

Hmm. Maybe it might be due to copyright? It sucks that they don't look like some of the characters in game though. 

Dang. It would be cool to have the old school wrestlers take on the new school ones. Heck I'd pay to see it.

Maybe they weren't able to get permission from them :smileysad:. The whole copyright/permission thing kind of ruins games in a way tbh. Regardless of the game.

Please use plain text.
Message 10 of 91 (179 Views)
0 Likes