Apr 07 2014
By: chaos_789 MVP Support 10149 posts

Do people fall for these types of scams, in todays world?

6 replies 100 views Edited Apr 7, 2014

I just recieved a phone call from this guy who claims my computer is leaking information, I was suspecious it was a scam from the very begging, which I told him I don't trust the call, he said he can prove it, if I look in computer management, and in a section where all the info is, I looked there, he said all that is info that is listed is being leaked, I still didn't by it. Then he told me, I can varify it by going to his companies website, that there was another major red flag, as I know they can than download a virus on the computer which give them control, so I did not go to that site for obvious reasons.

All throughout the call, I keep saying I need to varify this with my service provider, which he keep reflecting the question by saying, they were the ones that sent him, or some other thing that reflected the question. (that is another red flag, as if you recieve a call that you cannot varify, or are suspecious of, the number one rule is to call the company themselves.) Eventually after 16 mins, he finally agreed to me calling the service provider, stating he would call back in 30 mins after I get the confirmation. (note now an hours past and no call back.)

I did call the service provider, which they varified what I already knew, that it was a scam, I gave them all the info, including the number he called from, they made a note on my account about it, they also informed me of something I didn't now, they said if alot of spam and stuff does get sent from your computer they actually shut down your internet, until the problem is fixed.

Got to wonder do these people have nothing better to do then to try and scam people, but even so do people still fall for these scams, in todays world where scams are everywhere, most people today should know the red flags of a scam and to not give over info to them or got to their websites, so I made this post as both for information and as a discussions to see what you all have to say, or share your own stories.

Message 1 of 7 (100 Views)
0 Likes
VP of Gaming
37621 posts

Re: Do people fall for these types of scams, in todays world?

Apr 7, 2014

people fall for this kinda stuff all the time

especially on the phone

when they used to send messages on psn saying theyre sony and that if you send them your password they will do something for you

my friend did that and he got alota passwords lol and alota free games

he ended up getting banned tho lol

Message 2 of 7 (96 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
9161 posts

Apr 7, 2014

People fall for those kind of scams all of the time.Most of the time when someone wants to scam you their phoner number is anonymous.By any chance the person who called you phone number was anonymous?

KANE-FIRE

Message 3 of 7 (88 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
10149 posts

Apr 7, 2014

I do wonder how they would fall for them, especially a Password scam, like in what your friend did. E-mail scams can look convincing though, some even resemble an official e-mail. (I get them all the time, I just report them to the company.) I know the Grandparents scam got alot of people.

Each one has things that you should look for, but people should be aware of all the red flags.

Also the person who phoned me, the number was fully desplayed, but the name was unknown.

Message 4 of 7 (82 Views)
0 Likes
Ghost of Sparta
13569 posts

Apr 7, 2014

People can fall for different things.

I remember once my computer at home was taken hostage by the FBI. We couldn't do anything to the computer. It said that our computer would be free to use if we paided $50. But when we called our internet provider it was just someone hacking into our computer.

Different people can believe different things.

Message 5 of 7 (81 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
10149 posts

Apr 7, 2014

ossiecastro5 wrote:

People can fall for different things.

I remember once my computer at home was taken hostage by the FBI. We couldn't do anything to the computer. It said that our computer would be free to use if we paided $50. But when we called our internet provider it was just someone hacking into our computer.

Different people can believe different things.

Havn't heard of that one before, although, I did hear of one where they take your computer hostage, if you go to a certain site or something, it downloads a virus that locks up your computer, and they only give it back if you pay them a certain amount of money.

Message 6 of 7 (76 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3258 posts

Apr 7, 2014

If i dont know the number showing on my call display i wont answer, tele marketers and other forms of scams happen daily, good on you to not fall for it.

photo 557c3c40-b625-4286-ad5f-95b19a50b165.jpg
Message 7 of 7 (56 Views)
0 Likes