Highlighted
Jan 10 2014
By: Res-R-Rex Gaming Beast 1624 posts

Do you think multi-player is overused sometimes?

32 replies 231 views Edited Jan 10, 2014

Don't really do much, if any multi-player playing, just usually co-op, and that's just on Dead Island, and D.I. Riptide. Sometimes I think it's added to certain games to help push sales, but certain games definitely didn't or don't need it. Bioshock 2 was one, and Batman Arkham Origins was another. Love both of these games, but I wish the multi-player was abandoned and we were given more story, more of the core game more WOW! Arkham City was INCREDIBLE, huge, open, plenty to do, see, and find. I wish it was just like that in Arkham Origins. More to the core game and forget multi-player. In Bioshock 2, loved the game and areas, it's just that I wanted more Rapture to explore. Let me go back to places I visited in Bioshock. Am I the only one who wishes these games had no multi-player and more core story and action? Are there other games people wish the multi-player was gone and more of the core game available? 

Message 1 of 33 (231 Views)
Survivor
1817 posts

Re: Do you think multi-player is overused sometimes?

Jan 10, 2014

I'm more of a campaign player as well. But it's not just about me, and instead of removing a part of the game which other players enjoy, I'd say concentrate on making both the single-player and multiplayer modes the best they can be without compromising one over the other.

Message 2 of 33 (226 Views)
0 Likes
Naughty Paw
11440 posts

Jan 10, 2014
Including multiplayer gives people more incentive to keep the game on their shelves.

FINALsignatureAK.png

Message 3 of 33 (218 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
1624 posts

Jan 10, 2014

That's fair, and something we can all wish would happen. Although then I'm sure the prices would be extremely high for any given game that has a multi-player aspect. I might suggest paying for what you play, but the some companies might use it to either nickel and dime us, or, just require it to play certain areas. I know many people enjoy multi-player, and I don't want people to think I'm trying to push my opinion here. I was just pointing out that I thought, certain games didn't, or don't need multi-player, and was curious to see what games other people thought fell into this area.

Message 4 of 33 (215 Views)
0 Likes
Last Guardian
11742 posts

Jan 10, 2014

The way I see it, multiplayer is overdone almost every time. Most games that have an online multiplayer mode haven't gotten all that much use from me, and other times I've spent a great deal of money or time on the multiplayer when I wish I hadn't.

I can name you countless times where a multiplayer aspect in no way has improved upon a gaming experience or helped strengthen the game. Off the top of my head, such games as The Last of Us, the Uncharted series, Resident Evil 5, Grand Theft Auto IV, and last year's Tomb Raider are such instances where you have a main quality single-player portion and then another part where the multiplayer just feels tacked on and is generally not very original or great to come back to. Many gamers out there would disagree and say that multiplayer is the best thing since sliced bread. I just don't see it that way.

I've played numerous other multiplayer experiences over the years of course. From PixelJunk Shooter 2 (another tack-on), the Resistance series, racing games (Mario Kart DS, for example), LittleBigPlanet, the Killzone series, and many others. With most games the competitive nature of multiplayer is hardly ever original or designed in such a way that makes the return all that appealing. There are few games out there where I've felt a strong enough connection to a multiplayer game to actually want to come back time and time again, or generally was not disappointed in the time I've spent with the game. This would include games within the Call of Duty series, Warhawk, or Portal 2. In most of these cases though it was when I was playing with friends that made the experience that much better. Most other times getting a competitive game against randoms isn't very appealing and the game mechanics apparently won't stand the test of time for brilliance at the present or many years down the road.

Message 5 of 33 (213 Views)
Survivor
1817 posts

Jan 10, 2014

Res-R-Rex wrote:

That's fair, and something we can all wish would happen. Although then I'm sure the prices would be extremely high for any given game that has a multi-player aspect. I might suggest paying for what you play, but the some companies might use it to either nickel and dime us, or, just require it to play certain areas. I know many people enjoy multi-player, and I don't want people to think I'm trying to push my opinion here. I was just pointing out that I thought, certain games didn't, or don't need multi-player, and was curious to see what games other people thought fell into this area.

Not sure how to decide what "doesn't need" multiplayer, especially since you'll always see people in the opposite camp, requesting multiplayer in what were traditionally single-player series'. 

Maybe Bethesda/Zenimax is handling it best:  design a seperate game for those who want dedicated multiplayer.

Message 6 of 33 (212 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
1624 posts

Jan 10, 2014

Yeah, most of my games I play are RPG's, Fallout 3, Fallout: New Vegas, Skyrim, etc. Bethesda/Zenimax, is one of my favorite publishers out there. But I love my Batman and Bioshocks!

Message 7 of 33 (206 Views)
0 Likes
Ghost of Sparta
13101 posts

Jan 10, 2014
Assassins creed didn't need multiplayer BUT a co op adventure would be cool
Are you a WWE fan? click here to join the discussion

Thanks Saviorsixtysix for the sig
Message 8 of 33 (196 Views)
Fender Bender
3505 posts

Jan 10, 2014

yes, although I don't mind it if they hand out the multiplayer to another developer, so that they don't waste resources on multiplayer that could have been put into the single player, for instance Tomb Raider's multiplayer was made by Eidos Montreal instead of Crystal Dynamics, and the multiplayer sucked, but it didn't ruin the single player, so I didn't care, almost the same with Batman Arkham Origins, the multiplayer was made by Splash Damage, but I disagree with you that the single player was good, everything that was so great about Batman Arkham Asylum and Batman Arkham City was not in Batman Arkham Origins, the world was extremely boring (seriously, environments were so empty, they reminded me of PS2 games with large areas), the graphics somehow looked worse with the same engine (although it might have looked like that because of the lacking details), the boss battles were just following what was showed on-screen, no freedom to experiment, and a serious lack of easter eggs, and the hand-holding annoyed me a lot, haven't played the multiplayer, so can't say if it's good or not, heard it wasn't really good from reviews I've watched, and the story was not so good and with a few holes in it:

Spoiler
seriously, how did Bane know who Batman was? Bane isn't known for being a highly intelligent villain, I could understand it if Hugo Strange (the psychologist guy from Arkham City) managed to find out who Batman was, but Bane? and then they just act like TI89 or something (the stuff that's like Titan in Arkham Asylum erased his memory, and then the Electrocutioner, who's purpose in the game was just to give Batman shock gloves that he then could use to revive Alfred and temporarely take out Bane, seriously, that was really forced, but the Joker pleasantly surprised me though, with acting like he is Black Mask, I thought his part of the story was interesting, and I give credit to the devs for making the joker have an interesting story even though he already has been in the 2 games before it Smiley Happy

and the gadgets were just copies (some even more limited, like remote claw, line launcher was way better) of the Arkham City gadgets, but whatever, let's hope Rocksteady makes an awesome Batman game on PS4 Smiley Very Happy

Message 9 of 33 (195 Views)
0 Likes
Ghost of Sparta
13569 posts

Jan 10, 2014

Apparently more companies add on multiplayer in hopes of more time on the game and the possability of DLC sales.

Message 10 of 33 (185 Views)
0 Likes