Lombax Warrior
150 posts

Re: Do you think that four year old's should be given ps2"s

Oct 3, 2002
i would have to say that 4 yr olds do not deserve anything over something like a bike... i mean come on...how are they going to use it effeciently anyways... if i were any one.. the psONE would be good enough for a little kid like that....and why not buy him some PC games to build his mental capacity, not PS2 games which will give him an eye to GTA, Resident Evil, and other gorey games...those just arent for kids pal.... me on the other hand...i could go for some GTA and some R. Evil NOW!!!! bye>>>>>>>>>>>>swwoooooosh!
Watchit!
Message 11 of 18 (69 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
379 posts

Oct 3, 2002
In my opinion, no, a 4 year old doesn't have the responsability to handle a delicate peice of equipment like that...  A 64, however, which is pretty hard to bust up, would be a good choice if you really wanted to get him something to play.  But, I guess it really boils down to censorship and parenting...  By getting him any console, you have to understand the odds of him being inside 24/7 are pretty good, and also, that he has the access to games you might not want him to play.  I play GTA3 (He loves it) and other games like that with my 8 year old brother...  By that age, he already knows about sex, drugs, and rock and roll...  I just explain some things that he may not understand about the game.  Me personally, if I had a kid (god forbid) and he/she showed interest in console gaming, I'd start by playing games with them, and when I see that he/she knows and understands how to take care of it, then I'd definatly get him/her any console of his/her choice...  But thats just me...

"Censorship is merely the shame humanity has in itself"
Message 12 of 18 (69 Views)
0 Likes
Keyblade Wielder
10015 posts

Oct 3, 2002

,Cyael58 wrote:

No Cyael58, now go run to your mommy with something else in your mind. You are too small for a PS2... sorry

Socom FTB 2 Nickname: yanki
PSP MLB 06 The Show Nickname: yanki
Message 13 of 18 (69 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
638 posts

Oct 3, 2002
I don't think so. Four year olds are essentially still babies. They don't really have the maturity to handle a $200-$300 piece of electronics. Sure, some may be above the rest that can handle playing them, but they shouldn't own them. If the parents want to get their 4 year old a console, I suggest a Game Boy, PSone, or N64.
Message 14 of 18 (69 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
7003 posts

Oct 3, 2002

,kielbasa wrote:

Don't see why not? My wife's friends have a 5yr old & he kicked my buddy's butt on Madden 2002 6 months ago. That kid only has an N64, but plays with his friends PS2 (and mine) all the time. I guess it depends on the child. He also whomped me on Smackdown 3, and no, I didn't let him win. We're medium-hardcore games.

I guess it truly depends on the parents. Some points brought up that the kids wouldn't have fun. Not the ones I know. Just make sure you set parameters & limits. Keep them away from blood & guts games til they're older. If the parent doesn't teach the child, then they may find out the hard way what the child is learning elsewhere.

Message Edited by kielbasa on 10-03-2002 10:38 AM

damn shame......Anyway for all those who thought i was gonna buy a ps2 for a four year old your out of your friggin' mind

i saw a post below and this guy was gonna do it thougt it was a dumb idea

Message 15 of 18 (69 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
7003 posts

Oct 3, 2002

Real funny yan

I'm not planning on buying a four year old a ps2 I think the idea is idiotic a waste of money

Message Edited by Cyael58 on 10-03-2002 06:13 PM

Message 16 of 18 (69 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
150 posts

Oct 4, 2002
im sorry, but did you just say that your 8 yr. old knew about sex drugs and rock and roll?  If so, although this isnt a parenting web site, you need to re evaluate your parenting plan, GTA3 is barely a game for 17 yr olds, and even at some times...myself...
Watchit!
Message 17 of 18 (69 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
58 posts

Oct 30, 2002

i happened to have been given an atari VCS myself at age four. at that time the retail price was $199.99. my parenst gave me it but wanted no part of it as such  i was told to take care of it, i was also told if i had any problems playing to read the instructions that accompany it. they did hook it up as for fear of a kid sticking wires into a tv (but in the days of manual rf's i had to everyday anyways) i was good after a few weeks practice and as time went on got more games and future consoles. i still have 99% of the atari games from that time and i would definatley say that games at a young age is a good thing. so long as you remeber who runs the house. the minute my parents said time for bed i had to go NQA. i think in the 20+ years since then kids  get way more breaks which i can see the reason of giving a kid a ps2 can be seen as spoiling them. despite being a kid then, a dirty hand never touched a joystick, a system was never knocked over or had something spilled on and all the games were stack up nicely too. it also teaches kids how to win and lose as well as being rewarded for thinking things through, and with tons of text in todays game helping to read also. just so long as it is done in the right way a 4-5 year old with a game system can be a good thing

also with gamers getting old and having kids, is the issue of  buying games for kids relevant? wont they just be playing ours? or our backups anyways! 

I hate all things that ROCK!! or are X-tReMe....
Phantasy Star 4 is the greatest RPG ever....
Cybermorph is the greatest 3-D shooter ever....
Tempest 2000 is the greatest 2-D shooter ever....
I hope The Cure never breaks up....
If you see me with a sports game, you know it was free!
Message 18 of 18 (69 Views)
0 Likes