Mar 28 2013
By: vegete524 First Son 8 posts

Does it matter if a protagonist is a Woman?

[ Edited ]
34 replies 141 views Edited Mar 28, 2013

This question is mainly for the guys around here, but gals feel free to answer as well. There's a lot of talk going around where publishers were quoted saying that gamers don't want to play games with a female main character. But is that really true?  Would you rather play as a female, or are you indifferent about it?  Would you rather play as a male character if given the choice? Would you not play a game if the main character is a female?  Comments are appreciated.

FYI: It's a genuine question, but I am asking this for an article I'm writing on a site called GamerChatter.com. I'm only using replies to get a general consensus and will not be using any specific replies as examples.  Thanks for your attention!  ^_^

Message 1 of 35 (141 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
8 posts

Re: Does it matter if a protagonist is a Woman?

Mar 28, 2013
As a woman, if I can choose a gender, I'll choose to be Female. However, that doesn't stop me from playing games that feature a strictly male character (like Uncharted or Assassin's Creed). So long as the story development is solid and the characters are relatable and believable, I don't care.
Message 2 of 35 (140 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation Support
6754 posts

Mar 28, 2013

^^ agreed.

Some of my favorite franchises are male dominant, Assassins Creed and God of War for example. As a female...  I really don't mind as long as the gameplay is fun and the story line is solid.

That being said, if I get to choose (like in Warcraft) I'll choose female.

Message 3 of 35 (135 Views)
0 Likes
Keyblade Wielder
7599 posts

Mar 28, 2013

As a man, I rather play with a male main character. But female protagonist doesn't necessarily make the game any worse. Portal 2 for example is an awesome game with a female playable character. Smiley LOL

Message 4 of 35 (131 Views)
PlayStation MVP
4382 posts

[ Edited ]
Mar 28, 2013

vegete524 wrote:

This question is mainly for the guys around here, but gals feel free to answer as well. There's a lot of talk going around where publishers were quoted saying that gamers don't want to play games with a female main character. But is that really true?  Would you rather play as a female, or are you indifferent about it?  Would you rather play as a male character if given the choice? Would you not play a game if the main character is a female?  Comments are appreciated.

The reason behind that quote was taken out of context. They were meaning that developers should not have a female lead in a game that has "moments" with a male. (i.e. Kissing, etc.) That it would be "weird" for the gamers.

(This was all about the upcoming game "Remember Me.")

But, I think that is a shallow way of thinking. I don't care if I'm a dude playing as a girl, kissing another dude. Bring it!

Just my opinion.

And when they said it would be "weird" for the gamers, that kind of irritated me. Do they not realize females are gamers too?

Sadly, there are still some sexists in the gaming industry.

Anyway... to answer your question, no, it doesn't matter to me if a game is a female or male protagonist.

And if you can choose, it depends. Sometimes I feel like a nut, sometimes I don't.

"You must make a friend of horror. Horror and moral terror are your friends. If they are not then they are enemies to be feared."

Message 5 of 35 (125 Views)
First Son
8 posts

Mar 28, 2013

I realize they said it might make gamers feel "weird", but publishers have also said that playing as a female character is not in their demographic.  Which is also an issue.

Message 6 of 35 (116 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3075 posts

Mar 28, 2013

to me i guess it really depends on the game...something like UC or GTA to me should be a male but something like Mortal Combat or even a racing game that has a character then either will do...just my opinion..

gta5 photo: GTAV banner gta5_banner.jpg
Message 7 of 35 (102 Views)
0 Likes
Shinra Executive
37743 posts

Mar 28, 2013

I'll take the question a little further than was orginally asked, whether the main character is male, female, black, white, young or old etc matters not one jot to me, what does mater is if the game is something I want to play, whether the storyline is good & if it has believable charaters, these are much more important factors to me than the sex/color or age of any lead/main character in a game.

BRIT-KO

Message 8 of 35 (96 Views)
Uncharted Territory
1468 posts

Mar 28, 2013
Really? gamers said this? Metroid? Tomb Raider? I admit, not enough games has female lead characters, though, I do appreciate games like Fallout and Mass Effect which allow you to choose between genders, I think its a nice change from the guys always being the main people. I enjoyed playing as Claire in RE2, and Jill in RE3.

Girls are just as much good protagonists as guys, it really just depends on the situation the games put you in. Either gender could do either thing, we could have had a girl protagonist in Uncharted instead of Drake and it still would have felt just as right. Maybe is your sexist then its difference, but its just a video game gender/character. Lol
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Message 9 of 35 (93 Views)
First Son
8 posts

Mar 28, 2013
It's not gamers who said it, but publishers. There have also been publishers who shy away from Female Protagonists, because they believe it's not in the interests of their "target demographic"
Message 10 of 35 (90 Views)
0 Likes