Last Guardian
9144 posts

Re: Does it matter if a protagonist is a Woman?

Mar 28, 2013

Not saying I didn't want female leading characters in video games, but it's just my preference to play as a 30-year-old male character. It's easier to relate to your own gender I suppose. We dudes like to be the hero (or anti hero Smiley Tongue ) and save the chick.

mario

See? That's the way it goes.

id 69 signature

"How do you prove that you exist...? Maybe we don't exist..."

Message 11 of 35 (70 Views)
Fender Bender
3105 posts

Mar 28, 2013

vegete524 wrote:
It's not gamers who said it, but publishers. There have also been publishers who shy away from Female Protagonists, because they believe it's not in the interests of their "target demographic"

well in their defense there is many more male gamers than females in the wide spectrum of things and they are out for the dollar bill..

gta5 photo: GTAV banner gta5_banner.jpg
Message 12 of 35 (69 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
9978 posts

Mar 28, 2013
As long as the game is good, it doesn`t matter to me, although if given a choice as a male myself I would choose a male character to play as. I played the new Tomb Raider game, the game was good, I did not mind that the main character was female, and I got Beyond pre ordered another game with a female protagonist. Actually when I buy the game gender of a character is not something that is on my mind, my first thoughts are if the story and gameplay is good, if so I will buy the game no matter if the main character is male or female.
Message 13 of 35 (67 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1468 posts

Mar 28, 2013
Really? I mean, I enjoy playing as a male character, but if its a 3rd person game where your always staring at your characters @$$, I would rather stare at a females for the entire game.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Message 14 of 35 (57 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
8 posts

[ Edited ]
Mar 28, 2013

kythunder wrote:

vegete524 wrote:
It's not gamers who said it, but publishers. There have also been publishers who shy away from Female Protagonists, because they believe it's not in the interests of their "target demographic"

well in their defense there is many more male gamers than females in the wide spectrum of things and they are out for the dollar bill..

But from all of the opinions I've been gathering, most of them (gamers) don't really put gender into consideration when purchasing a game. It doesn't matter as much anymore. That's the point. 

Message 15 of 35 (56 Views)
Fender Bender
3105 posts

Mar 28, 2013

i speak from the real whole world point of view....ask gamers in Saudi Arabia among other places and you will see why publishers do the things they do....different cultures have different thoughts and developers look at this as a whole..

now myself i have never based my decision on a game by the character i was just stating the way i see it...

Message 16 of 35 (48 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3105 posts

Mar 28, 2013

itsnotozzyitsozz wrote:
Really? I mean, I enjoy playing as a male character, but if its a 3rd person game where your always staring at your characters @$$, I would rather stare at a females for the entire game.

most people don't buy games for the sexual appeal..lol

Message 17 of 35 (46 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
4421 posts

Mar 28, 2013

If it is good, then I play it.

I love Portal, and the protagonist is female.  It does not insult me, make me feel any different, or change my view of the game.  I don't even think of it when I play it.

My opinion, if it is good, then I play it.

Moble

Message 18 of 35 (45 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
8 posts

Mar 28, 2013

kythunder wrote:

i speak from the real whole world point of view....ask gamers in Saudi Arabia among other places and you will see why publishers do the things they do....different cultures have different thoughts and developers look at this as a whole..

now myself i have never based my decision on a game by the character i was just stating the way i see it...

Point taken Kythunder. I can respect that. But it wouldn't destroy the industry by having more female's as the main character given the wide range of cultures that are more open to female progression. And it is nice to know that a great deal of gamers don't really see that it should be a topic of issue as much as the Publishers do. 

Message 19 of 35 (37 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1468 posts

[ Edited ]
Mar 28, 2013

@Kythunder well no, of course not, I dont mean I would rather see it that way, what I meant was that I wouldn't mind it that way.  I play games for the gameplay and story, but a little eye candy in the process never hurt anyone, specially with the graphics we have today. Smiley Wink

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Message 20 of 35 (36 Views)
0 Likes