PlayStation MVP
2358 posts

Re: Does it matter if a protagonist is a Woman?

Mar 28, 2013

To me, it doesn't matter if the protagonist is a man or woman. If the developer can tell a great story, one which I can relate to, then it doesn't matter. Only some developers have been able to create games were female protagonists are relateable to everyone. Just like only some developers have been able to create male protagonists that can relate to all genders. I see women playing as male characters in many games and they can relate to the story and actually enjoy it. I also see guys playing as women, and enjoying the story too.

If publishers are saying that people will not play a game if the protagonist is female, then they are full of it. People have been role playing as different genders for years in gaming. Once again, if the story is something that everyone can relate to, then it doesn't matter. In the gaming world you can play as an alien, an object and people don't wonder if the object or alien is male or female. They care more about having fun and if the story is good.

When it comes to choice, for example Mass Effect, I prefer playing as a male character. However, that's only because I'm male and can relate better to it. If it were to come to something like Tom Raider, then I don't mind playing as a female protagonist. It's all about the story and gameplay, not about me disliking or liking playing as a man or woman. That doesn't determine my personal choice in game purchases.

mvpbluesigTheJLC.jpg
Message 21 of 35 (93 Views)
First Son
8 posts

Mar 28, 2013

itsnotozzyitsozz wrote:

, but a little eye candy in the process never hurt anyone, specially with the graphics we have today. Smiley Wink

LOL. you say that, and the first thing that comes to mind is the Dead or Alive series. Stand Back! I'm Going to Try SCIENCE (or physics Smiley Happy 

Message 22 of 35 (92 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
19279 posts

Mar 28, 2013
I personally don't care whether my character is male or female when playing a video game. If the game is great/has a great story, I seriously don't mind what gender my character is. As long as everything fits well, I'm indifferent to it.

However, I am in the camp that thinks "if I'm going to be looking at this character all the time, I'd like the character to look good." To me, I prefer to look at female characters more than I do male characters. So, when I play a game like Fallout, Skyrim, or even Rock Band, I tend to use female characters.

In the end, I'm really indifferent to my character as long as the game is good. If the gender of the character is undermining the story, then I start to get annoyed by it a little. I don't care if my character is a 10 foot tall mutant, really. Smiley Very Happy
Message 23 of 35 (90 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1468 posts

Mar 28, 2013
Well perfect example, The Last of Us, up coming game with a female AND male protagonist, though, it seems as if it centers more on the female character. I doubt someone is going to turn down that game just for the sole fact that your playing as a female..or Silent Hill 3, one of the most loved Silent Hill games in the SH Community, you play as a female.

Publishers don't know what their talking about, obviously. Games that let you select which gender you want, show a perfect example of how the game is no different whether your a girl or guy, except for certain dialogue options.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Message 24 of 35 (83 Views)
0 Likes
Welcoming Committee
8021 posts

Mar 28, 2013

itsnotozzyitsozz wrote:
Well perfect example, The Last of Us, up coming game with a female AND male protagonist, though, it seems as if it centers more on the female character. I doubt someone is going to turn down that game just for the sole fact that your playing as a female..or Silent Hill 3, one of the most loved Silent Hill games in the SH Community, you play as a female.

Publishers don't know what their talking about, obviously. Games that let you select which gender you want, show a perfect example of how the game is no different whether your a girl or guy, except for certain dialogue options.

I think your mistaken somewhere, The Last of Us main character is the guy, in all vidoes, you only control the guy, and the story seems to center around the guy.

Message 25 of 35 (79 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
33778 posts

Mar 28, 2013

it doesnt matter to me as long as the character is decent and well written.

its just like watching a movie or reading a book with a female main character.

Message 26 of 35 (76 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1468 posts

Mar 28, 2013
@Chaos Really? Omg lol, I totally missed that this whole time then, havent seen any gameplay vids of the game yet, still though, I stand by everything else I said.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Message 27 of 35 (71 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
218 posts

Mar 28, 2013
I prefer male, strongly. It won't stop me from buying a great game if the lead is female, like Tomb Raider. But male just feels better to me.

Frankenstein

Message 28 of 35 (65 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
51400 posts

Mar 28, 2013

vegete524 wrote:

This question is mainly for the guys around here, but gals feel free to answer as well. There's a lot of talk going around where publishers were quoted saying that gamers don't want to play games with a female main character. But is that really true?  Would you rather play as a female, or are you indifferent about it?  Would you rather play as a male character if given the choice? Would you not play a game if the main character is a female?  Comments are appreciated.

FYI: It's a genuine question, but I am asking this for an article I'm writing on a site called GamerChatter.com. I'm only using replies to get a general consensus and will not be using any specific replies as examples.  Thanks for your attention!  ^_^

As a guy it does not bother me to play with a female as the main character like in Heavenly Sword.  

If I am given the option, since I'm a guy, I'd pick the guy but if it was only a girl to play as I would have NO PROBLEM at all playing the game still.   

Message 29 of 35 (59 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1468 posts

Mar 28, 2013
@Blue Possibly because males are looked at as strong, and fierce. Specially in the gaming community, so it would only make sense to some people that a guy would be the main hero in an action adventure game, such as Uncharted, though, then you could look at Tomb Raider, and see that a female would work just as well.

I wouldn't mind a PS3 game title, like Infamous, where your a female superhero.

Message 30 of 35 (50 Views)
0 Likes