Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Reply
Survivor
Registered: 03/09/2009
Offline
2396 posts
 

Re: 'Duck Dynasty's' Phil Robertson on Indefinite Hiatus Following Anti-Gay Remarks

Dec 20, 2013

GQ magazine baited the guy so hard.  Which is messed up. They knew what they were doing when they asked that question to someone from the south who's a hardcore Christian.

 

And the guy didn't even bash gays.  He just said that it's not his cup of tea and he'd rather be with women.  And now the gays are offended.  Its like we have to treat gays like a "special" group now.  I'm %100 sure there a are gays who talk smack and discriminate against other people.

 photo 4f9f1065-23b3-4875-a40d-e36af3b1f802.jpg
#I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for what I'm not
Message 61 of 236 (261 Views)
Ghost of Sparta
Registered: 05/09/2005
Online
17204 posts
 

Re: 'Duck Dynasty's' Phil Robertson on Indefinite Hiatus Following Anti-Gay Remarks

Dec 20, 2013

taker-77 wrote:

hwhunt13 wrote:

statistically speaking, christianity is the all time most persecuted religion in the entire history of human civilization.



 

And what statistic would that be?

 

Wouldn't it stand to reason that the most persecuted religion title would belong to one of the many religions that were persecuted out of existence?

 

Also, Christians need to be persecuted, don't they? To suffer for their beliefs makes them more like their namesake. I kinda wish some of these persecuted Christians of today could get a brief taste of what religious persecution used to be. Being crucified or eaten by a lion is certainly a bit more serious than children not being allowed to pray in school or the Ten Commandments being removed from a government building.


Currently christianity is, but the longest period of time suffered by a religion are the jews.

It was extremely difficult to find the necessary information because of all the google links on christian persecution.

 

Pope Simon/Peter was crucified

St. Joan of Arc was burned at the steak

St. John the Baptist was beheaded

 

All religions have some sort of perecution going on, but haven't lasted anywhere near the time that the christians and jews have withstood.

 photo 683842d5-5deb-4335-8bcb-5b2166398090_zpsafb7b8da.jpg
Message 62 of 236 (243 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
Registered: 02/11/2004
Offline
6923 posts
 

Re: 'Duck Dynasty's' Phil Robertson on Indefinite Hiatus Following Anti-Gay Remarks

[ Edited ]
Dec 20, 2013

PlSTOL_STAR wrote:

Corruptedechoes wrote:

PlSTOL_STAR wrote:

Corruptedechoes wrote:

There's a BIG difference between 'free speech' and 'hate speech.' It's subjective to the person if they think what he said was hate speech or not. Apparently, many view it as hate speech. He did compare homosexuality to that of beastiality. Besides, this coming from a man who makes whistles to trick ducks into thinking men want to mate with them?

 

And also, wasn't it this guy who was arrested for beating women just awhile ago?


Is there a difference?  As I recall, the Klan still holds rallies in  towns and the police have to set up barricades to protect them.

 

And what of the bestiality comment? Are you saying that being attracted to animals is less than, or not as good as homosexuality? That sounds like discrimination to me.


He also put gay people in same category as terrorists. And don't even start with that. Like animals all you want, but it's not relatable to homosexuality.


Interesting. Its not relatable to homosexuality. But heterosexuality, and homosexuality,  those are relatable. Hmmm. i disagree.

I do believe that they are indeed relatable. How? Well because, the person who has a desire for sexuality with animals was born that way. In other words its not a choice for them. Maybe its a gentic predisposition, but those people shouldn't be left out of the gay/straight equality debate. Why is it that when other sexuality is discussed,  the gay a lesbian community try to distance themselves from it?

Is it because these sexual practices are often considered a mental affliction?


So to you, liking humans, even though the same sex, is equal to others who like animals? Well, heterosexuals are born that way too. Are they not? They like the opposite sex, they didn't choose that. Same for homosexuals. So going by your logic, then heterosexuality, homosexuality and beastiality are all on the same level because we don't choose our sexualities. Is that what you are saying?


Message 63 of 236 (234 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
Registered: 10/08/2009
Offline
4917 posts
 

Re: 'Duck Dynasty's' Phil Robertson on Indefinite Hiatus Following Anti-Gay Remarks

Dec 20, 2013
Wait, so by your own admission, the Jews have suffered longer, but you still claim that Christianity is the the most persecuted? How do you explain that? I could go along with the idea that the Judaism is the most persecuted religion I suppose, but not Christianity.

Also, John the Baptist wasn't a Christian and Joan of Arc was burned at the stake by Christians so I don't think those really count.
Message 64 of 236 (230 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
Registered: 12/28/2011
Offline
1892 posts
 

Re: 'Duck Dynasty's' Phil Robertson on Indefinite Hiatus Following Anti-Gay Remarks

Dec 20, 2013

DarthDanMan wrote:


GOW71 wrote:

I find it odd that people still use religion to justify their stance on homosexuality. It has nothing to do with religion, it has nothing to do with choice.  It's part of you who you are at the DNA level. To say "well I believe being gay is wrong" when it isn't a choice at all of those who are... in my eyes it is extremely similar to racisim. Which Im fairly confident the majority of folks would agree is wrong.


Really now? Do you have a source I could see?

 


The latest research acutally says that it has to do with the hormones that reach the brain during fetal development. Regardless, being gay isn't a choice.

Message 65 of 236 (218 Views)
Wastelander
Registered: 11/13/2013
Online
569 posts
 

Re: 'Duck Dynasty's' Phil Robertson on Indefinite Hiatus Following Anti-Gay Remarks

Dec 20, 2013

Corruptedechoes wrote:

PlSTOL_STAR wrote:

Corruptedechoes wrote:

PlSTOL_STAR wrote:

Corruptedechoes wrote:

There's a BIG difference between 'free speech' and 'hate speech.' It's subjective to the person if they think what he said was hate speech or not. Apparently, many view it as hate speech. He did compare homosexuality to that of beastiality. Besides, this coming from a man who makes whistles to trick ducks into thinking men want to mate with them?

 

And also, wasn't it this guy who was arrested for beating women just awhile ago?


Is there a difference?  As I recall, the Klan still holds rallies in  towns and the police have to set up barricades to protect them.

 

And what of the bestiality comment? Are you saying that being attracted to animals is less than, or not as good as homosexuality? That sounds like discrimination to me.


He also put gay people in same category as terrorists. And don't even start with that. Like animals all you want, but it's not relatable to homosexuality.


Interesting. Its not relatable to homosexuality. But heterosexuality, and homosexuality,  those are relatable. Hmmm. i disagree.

I do believe that they are indeed relatable. How? Well because, the person who has a desire for sexuality with animals was born that way. In other words its not a choice for them. Maybe its a gentic predisposition, but those people shouldn't be left out of the gay/straight equality debate. Why is it that when other sexuality is discussed,  the gay a lesbian community try to distance themselves from it?

Is it because these sexual practices are often considered a mental affliction?


So to you, liking humans, even though the same sex, is equal to others who like animals? Well, heterosexuals are born that way too. Are they not? They like the opposite sex, they didn't choose that. Same for homosexuals. So going by your logic, then heterosexuality, homosexuality and beastiality are all on the same level because we don't choose our sexualities. Is that what you are saying?


uhhhh, yes! That's what I  think I'm trying to get to I think. Either 

1. Human sexuality comes in all sorts of flavors and none can be discriminated against regardless of how others feel as long as no one is being hurt. What I am trying to get you to see is that most gay people just like straight people pick and choose what sexuality they accept, but have a temper tantrum when someone questions their own sexuality. You for example don't want to see homosexuality mixed in with beastieality pedophilia or necrophilia or any other thing. you want to elevate it above the others next to heterosexuality, but based on the criteria for what you expect us to accept your sexuality you should not be able to do that at least not rationally.

Or

2. if you are going to draw a distinction between different sexuality and either validate or condemn it based on your own personal values then you cannot complain when others do the same to the gay community.

that's what I'm trying to get you to see.

 photo pistolstarsig1_zps4f1a9f6d.png
Message 66 of 236 (206 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
Registered: 05/09/2006
Online
5736 posts
 

Re: 'Duck Dynasty's' Phil Robertson on Indefinite Hiatus Following Anti-Gay Remarks

Dec 20, 2013
He's not being punished for saying what he thinks, he was signed on to a show that had a message they wanted to promote (that rednecks are interesting or something), he started saying things, which is his right, but they disagreed with the message that the network was trying to say so they cut him, which is their right.

^ quote from a friend. He is better at wording than me lol.
 photo newforumsig_zps5ec69817.png
Message 67 of 236 (190 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Wastelander
Registered: 06/22/2013
Offline
666 posts
 

Re: 'Duck Dynasty's' Phil Robertson on Indefinite Hiatus Following Anti-Gay Remarks

[ Edited ]
Dec 20, 2013

Difference between bestiality and homosexuality is homosexuality is between two consenting people where as the animal is not consenting in any way and even if so we have no way to prove it.

Bestiality is grouped under animal abuse. Not as a sexual preference. Homosexuality is in fact between two agreeing people and in no way harms anyone involved.

Also if I may chime in. I think homosexuality is something you are either born with or not but I also believe sexuality can be formed by the way you grow up. Not saying you were raised and forced to be a way but as something you can evolve to like such can be said for anything around you like movies, music, even tastes in women can change as well. I however, do not think its something people do "just because."

But anyways, homosexuality is fine. Who honestly cares? Can anyone tell me how promoting hate towards them helps anyone? Can someone please provide a serious answer as to why homosexuality is a bad thing WITHOUT bringing up religious views?

 

Also when you represent a company, you have to be careful what you say and do. Since this is a Playstation forum I figured you'd understand that with Kevin Butler and all.

Message 68 of 236 (182 Views)
PlayStation MVP
Registered: 10/02/2008
Online
13345 posts
 

Re: 'Duck Dynasty's' Phil Robertson on Indefinite Hiatus Following Anti-Gay Remarks

Dec 20, 2013

hwhunt13 wrote:

bob-maul wrote:

Ughhh...people need to look past cultural Christianity. I posted this in a thread similar to the topic, so I will summarize it.'

 

The Bible never says homosexuality makes you sinful. It never says homosexuality is a sin. It says that sex between males and sex between females is sinful. Meaning the act of engaging in intercourse. Lying with a another man. Homosexual "offenders". These are all talking about acting on desires. If you want to talk what the Bible says, it just talks about the sex. The rest is up to interpretation. 

 

The bigger problem here is that intolerance is being flung both ways without noticing the hypocrisy. 

 

Please don't take bible translations out of context.


statistically speaking, christianity is the all time most persecuted religion in the entire history of human civilization.

I referenced Leviticus 18:22 earlier. It says that you shall not lie with another man as you would with another woman. It is an abomination. All the additional translations of this chaper all say the same thing, but with different wording but meaning the same thing.

 

This is the translation from the King James version, "Thou shalt not lie with mankind as with womankind: it is abomination."


I referenced that. The Bible condemns homosexual sex. That verse says nothing of homosexual attraction. Just the sex.


Welcoming Committee Twitter
Message 69 of 236 (177 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
Registered: 10/02/2008
Online
13345 posts
 

Re: 'Duck Dynasty's' Phil Robertson on Indefinite Hiatus Following Anti-Gay Remarks

[ Edited ]
Dec 20, 2013

taker-77 wrote:

hwhunt13 wrote:

statistically speaking, christianity is the all time most persecuted religion in the entire history of human civilization.



 

And what statistic would that be?

 

Wouldn't it stand to reason that the most persecuted religion title would belong to one of the many religions that were persecuted out of existence?

 

Also, Christians need to be persecuted, don't they? To suffer for their beliefs makes them more like their namesake. I kinda wish some of these persecuted Christians of today could get a brief taste of what religious persecution used to be. Being crucified or eaten by a lion is certainly a bit more serious than children not being allowed to pray in school or the Ten Commandments being removed from a government building.


While I do not want my brethren being eaten by lions, I completely agree. When Christians claim to be persecuted in Europe or America, I quickly stop them. Persecution is not being called out or insulted. Persecution is a severe thing that many Christians elsewhere in the world face. China hunts down all the home-run churches. Iran will imprison you. Saudia Arabia does not allow Bibles. That is persecution. 


Welcoming Committee Twitter
Message 70 of 236 (177 Views)