Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Wastelander
573 posts

Re: 'Duck Dynasty's' Phil Robertson on Indefinite Hiatus Following Anti-Gay Remarks

[ Edited ]
Dec 20, 2013

i tried to avoid this thread, fearing stupidity. i was kind of right. idk if it's mentioned but this is by no means a disestablishment of free speech, that's why phil's not in jail. A&E still maintains the right to suspend him for going against their own moral values, freedom's a two-way street like that. it doesn't matter if everyone in America was offended or only one guy in New York was offended, the program didn't want to air him for his comparison of homosexuality to bestiality.

quit hating about this "free speech" **bleep** bc that's all it is.

ferguson is a weird name for an iraqi village
Please use plain text.
Message 81 of 236 (236 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
12685 posts

Re: 'Duck Dynasty's' Phil Robertson on Indefinite Hiatus Following Anti-Gay Remarks

Dec 20, 2013

GOW71 wrote:

This was interesting and related to the discussion and thought you guys may be interested in it: http://www.forwardprogressives.com/let-me-explain-freedom-of-speech-to-all-the-phil-robertson-duck-d...

I agree with the point. I recommend not sourcing a clearly biased site, though.

Welcoming Committee Twitter
Please use plain text.
Message 82 of 236 (224 Views)
PlayStation MVP
12685 posts

Dec 20, 2013

hwhunt13 wrote:

bob-maul wrote:

hwhunt13 wrote:

bob-maul wrote:

Ughhh...people need to look past cultural Christianity. I posted this in a thread similar to the topic, so I will summarize it.'

The Bible never says homosexuality makes you sinful. It never says homosexuality is a sin. It says that sex between males and sex between females is sinful. Meaning the act of engaging in intercourse. Lying with a another man. Homosexual "offenders". These are all talking about acting on desires. If you want to talk what the Bible says, it just talks about the sex. The rest is up to interpretation. 

The bigger problem here is that intolerance is being flung both ways without noticing the hypocrisy. 

Please don't take bible translations out of context.

statistically speaking, christianity is the all time most persecuted religion in the entire history of human civilization.

I referenced Leviticus 18:22 earlier. It says that you shall not lie with another man as you would with another woman. It is an abomination. All the additional translations of this chaper all say the same thing, but with different wording but meaning the same thing.

This is the translation from the King James version, "Thou shalt not lie with mankind as with womankind: it is abomination."

I referenced that. The Bible condemns homosexual sex. That verse says nothing of homosexual attraction. Just the sex.

You will want to read up on the story of Sodom which is in Chapter 19 of the book of genesis. It addresses homosexual attraction.

And punishes them for acting on it...

Please use plain text.
Message 83 of 236 (223 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
12685 posts

Dec 20, 2013

Let me go ahead and make a decent sized post, here.

Homosexuality is not called a sin in the Bible. The ONLY thing condemned is acting on the desire for sex. Think of it like a temptation and then acting upon that temptation. This is why so many churches are okay with homosexual unions. One because they are scared of the culture changing (poor reason). Secondly, they do not see it as sinful to be in a monogomous relationship with the same sex (it is left unmentioned in the Bible). Some are hesitant to call it marriage (as it is clearly established in the Bible as a thing between a man and woman). And they may or may not condemn the sex (they usually do not mention it in their professions). The Bible is clear: the parameters for intercourse have been set and that it is in heterosexual marriages. 

This is the biblical standpoint and the rest is not really specified. That is why people have differing viewpoints and why you cannot just assume every Christian believes the Westboro is correct in saying "God hates (you know the word)"

Now. What about this whole situation? I think it is moronic of A&E to do this, but not a suppression of the first amendment. A&E has every right to suspend him if he does not fit their approval. My issue is with them making stupid decisions. They are suspending a beloved character in a massive show that appeals to people who are not super liberal. Plenty of people in the media say anti-Christian things and they are applauded or it is not covered. Pop culture is very liberal. And this makes Phil's viewpoints iconoclastic and a bigger news story. I wish people would look at what he said. He did not say homosexuality is the same thing as bestiality. And that is the most annoying thing that people do with comparisons. They look at what was compared instead of the comparison's point. His point is that he views it like any other sin. But he even mentions that he understands others are not of the same mindset as him. 

Please use plain text.
Message 84 of 236 (218 Views)
PlayStation MVP
48571 posts

Dec 20, 2013

bob-maul wrote:

GOW71 wrote:

This was interesting and related to the discussion and thought you guys may be interested in it: http://www.forwardprogressives.com/let-me-explain-freedom-of-speech-to-all-the-phil-robertson-duck-d...

I agree with the point. I recommend not sourcing a clearly biased site, though.

Ha you said what I was going to say :smileywink:.   Horrid site, accurate point.

Please use plain text.
Message 85 of 236 (207 Views)
Keyblade Wielder
7464 posts

Dec 20, 2013
I give a hoot what site it came from. It was just to add to the discussion. I wasn't trying to cite facts. Stuff the valid source junk. I wasn't trying to prove a point.
Please use plain text.
Message 86 of 236 (192 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
573 posts

[ Edited ]
Dec 20, 2013

GOW71 wrote:
I give a hoot what site it came from. It was just to add to the discussion. I wasn't trying to cite facts. Stuff the valid source junk. I wasn't trying to prove a point.

it's not like you could cite a source that really generate approval anyway, this is the same forum where a guy dismissed stanford.edu because it was "cheap" in his recycling thread.

ferguson is a weird name for an iraqi village
Please use plain text.
Message 87 of 236 (187 Views)
First Son
2 posts

[ Edited ]
Dec 21, 2013

I personally think all the GLAAD members should go live on their own private island.  It's getting to the point where it's bad to be a Christian? Really?  I hope you ignorant fools don't celebrate Christmas.  In case you didn't notice, it starts with CHRIST.  Why don't people live their lives and be secure in it?  If you were secure you wouldn't have to be crying at the drop of the ones who think what you're doing is wrong.  That doesn't mean they don't like you as a person.  This country use to be a God fearing country and now, you can't even mention God in public without some idiot crying for attention over being offended.  The Christians need to start standing up again to these morons.  I bet half of the gays that are crying don't even watch the show.  They heard through someone who heard through someone else that this was said.  Well, did you leave out the part where Phil said he would NEVER treat anyone differently because of their life choices?  It must make you bunch of people mad because you can't get whats left of this great nation to submit to your wanting to go aganist nature and all that is normal.  Love who you want to love. Do what you want to do.  BUT you can't fit a square in a triangle, you don't have ocean front property in Airzona.  That don't mean the maker of this puzzle is going to fire the one that thought it up just because you decide to put a different piece there and it won't let you!  Get over your self.  This world is on it's way to an end anyway.  With this usless president and the gays running around stirring up crap.  When the word of the Lord gets denied you better look to the heavens because he is on his way back and you squids will have to answer for yaself.

Please use plain text.
Message 88 of 236 (166 Views)
0 Likes
Keyblade Wielder
7464 posts

Dec 21, 2013
All I really took from that was "no waterfront in Airzona." I'm sorry but that is just funny. I love typos.
Please use plain text.
Message 89 of 236 (158 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
28565 posts

Dec 21, 2013
LOL :smileyvery-happy:

Anyone trying to turn this into some kind of religious persecution thing need to stop. You sound so ignorant.
Please use plain text.
Message 90 of 236 (155 Views)