Dec 19 2013
By: Setzaroth Limit Breaker 18676 posts

'Duck Dynasty's' Phil Robertson on Indefinite Hiatus Following Anti-Gay Remarks

[ Edited ]
235 replies 818 views Edited Dec 19, 2013

It's sad how touchy people are these days. Well, not all people, just the ones who need their lifestyle justified at every turn.

A&E will regret this decision, and the Robertsons probably don't care. They were doing more than "OK" when they got picked up for this show

It's called freedom of speech people... it's a right even when it offends you. We've got a serious problem in America if a minority can squeal and get you shut down.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/duck-dynastys-phil-robertson-indefinite-666808

RE-THINK SALAD

Message 1 of 236 (818 Views)
Uncharted Territory
1209 posts

Re: 'Duck Dynasty's' Phil Robertson on Indefinite Hiatus Following Anti-Gay Remarks

Dec 19, 2013

Setzaroth wrote:

It's sad how touchy people are these days. Well, not all people, just the ones who need their lifestyle justified at every turn.

A&E will regret this decision, and the Robertsons probably don't care. They were doing more than "OK" when they got picked up for this show

It's called freedom of speech people... it's a right even when it offends you. We've got a serious problem in America if a minority can squeal and get you shut down.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/duck-dynastys-phil-robertson-indefinite-666808

People think they have the right to not be offened. 

Message 2 of 236 (807 Views)
VP of Gaming
30942 posts

Re: 'Duck Dynasty's' Phil Robertson on Indefinite Hiatus Following Anti-Gay Remarks

Dec 19, 2013

Setzaroth wrote:

*Facepalm* 

Freedom of Speech does not excuse you from any consequences for your words and last I checked, A&E is not the U.S. Government

Message 3 of 236 (800 Views)
Ghost of Sparta
11942 posts

Dec 19, 2013
" if a minority can squeal and get you shut down."

I'm sensing some deep-rooted issues here.
Message 4 of 236 (799 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
926 posts

Dec 19, 2013

I touched on that iidea in another thread. We all have to deal with the fact that other people have the right to their own beliefs, even if it is offensive to others.

photo pistolstarsig1_zps4f1a9f6d.png
Message 5 of 236 (794 Views)
Limit Breaker
18676 posts

[ Edited ]
Dec 19, 2013

*Facepalm* 

Freedom of Speech does not excuse you from any consequences for your words and last I checked, A&E is not the U.S. Government

Right, but I'm looking a step ahead and calling BS on those "consequences"

The "deep rooted issue" is that a very VERY small amount of people control the media, and they all lean the same way (for the most part) It's just a really un-funny joke is all

And what they fail to mention, or don't really pay attention to is the whole statement he made. None of it was hateful.

Someone disagreeing with you does not equal hate.

RE-THINK SALAD

Message 6 of 236 (789 Views)
VP of Gaming
30942 posts

Dec 19, 2013

Setzaroth wrote:

*Facepalm* 

Right, but I'm looking a step ahead and calling BS on those "consequences"

The "deep rooted issue" is that a very VERY small amount of people control the media, and they all lean the same way (for the most part) It's just a really un-funny joke is all

And what they fail to mention, or don't really pay attention to is the whole statement he made. None of it was hateful.

Someone disagreeing with you does not equal hate.

Those quotes don't read like a joke to me. Saying someone's lifestyle isn't "Right" because of who they choose to sleep with seems pretty hateful to me. 

As for his punishment, he represents A&E as long as he has a TV Show under contract with them just like we represent our employers out in public. His comments draw negative attention to himself, his TV show and through that, his bosses (A&E). They're trying to save face, instead of appearing as Anti-Gay sympathizers. The guy simply should have chosen his words more wisely. 

Message 7 of 236 (771 Views)
Limit Breaker
18676 posts

[ Edited ]
Dec 19, 2013

Those quotes don't read like a joke to me. Saying someone's lifestyle isn't "Right" because of who they choose to sleep with seems pretty hateful to me. 

As for his punishment, he represents A&E as long as he has a TV Show under contract with them just like we represent our employers out in public. His comments draw negative attention to himself, his TV show and through that, his bosses (A&E). They're trying to save face, instead of appearing as Anti-Gay sympathizers. The guy simply should have chosen his words more wisely. 

Nobody said they were a joke. ( I was talking about the state of the media as a whole if that's what you're referring)

But saying something isn't "right" doesn't make it "hate" either.

I mean really. Who do these people think they are? Getting up in arms and saying he should be suspended for speaking his mind? The world we live in is so backwards, where you have to censor yourself so you don't get on the bad side of a vocal minority.

How...sad. Though I suppose you're right, I mean it WAS a GQ interview... HA, who reads that after all? Gays and women primarily. He should have known better.

RE-THINK SALAD

Message 8 of 236 (765 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
4550 posts

Dec 19, 2013

You wanna be gay? Be gay.

You wanna be straight? Be straight.

Nothing is stopping you but you only. If others do, there's a problem.

<

photo evolve_zps9e0e8f3e.jpg

Welcoming Committee   

Message 9 of 236 (754 Views)
I Only Post Everything
926 posts

Dec 19, 2013

Setzaroth wrote:

Nobody said they were a joke. ( I was talking about the state of the media as a whole if that's what you're referring)

But saying something isn't "right" doesn't make it "hate" either.

I mean really. Who do these people think they are? Getting up in arms and saying he should be suspended for speaking his mind? The world we live in is so backwards, where you have to censor yourself so you don't get on the bad side of a vocal minority.

How...sad.

I agree with you. but I think is a difference between speaking your mind as a nobody, and speaking your mind as a celebrity. if hes going to make comments like that, then he must facethe consequenses, thats how it is. If he had said that people blacks and whites should not be allowed to marry because it isnt "right", then more people would complain, and the principle would be the same. but were talking about a&e The only thing they care aabout is money.

Remember when dog the bounty hunter was taped saying all those racist things? They brought him back. Since most people that want to watch rednecks are conservative, I imagine that his hiatus will be short lived.

photo pistolstarsig1_zps4f1a9f6d.png
Message 10 of 236 (747 Views)
0 Likes