Reply
VP of Gaming
Registered: 12/08/2000
Online
29406 posts
 

Re: EA Acquires Exclusive Star Wars Game License

May 6, 2013

LightOfValkyrie wrote:
I'm not the biggest EA fan (I don't love them but I don't hate them), but if Battlefront 3 finally sees the light of day, there's no way I'm not getting it.

I own every Battlefront game, and play Battlefront 2 almost religiously on PC and PS2. For us hardcore Battlefront fans, Battlefront 3 is waaaaay overdue.

Plus, Star Wars on the Frostbite 3 engine. How cool would that be?

I treat Electronic Arts like any other company. if they make a game that makes me say "hey that looks interesting, I'd like to play that", then I get it. I don't know where this blind hatred of them came from, but it's getting a bit ridiculous to say the least.

Message 11 of 33 (90 Views)
Last Guardian
Registered: 11/24/2011
Offline
11298 posts
 

Re: EA Acquires Exclusive Star Wars Game License

May 6, 2013
Not sure how to feel about this either...
Message 12 of 33 (89 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
Registered: 07/31/2011
Offline
3916 posts
 

Re: EA Acquires Exclusive Star Wars Game License

May 6, 2013

CaptainAlbator wrote:

LightOfValkyrie wrote:
I'm not the biggest EA fan (I don't love them but I don't hate them), but if Battlefront 3 finally sees the light of day, there's no way I'm not getting it.

I own every Battlefront game, and play Battlefront 2 almost religiously on PC and PS2. For us hardcore Battlefront fans, Battlefront 3 is waaaaay overdue.

Plus, Star Wars on the Frostbite 3 engine. How cool would that be?

I treat Electronic Arts like any other company. if they make a game that makes me say "hey that looks interesting, I'd like to play that", then I get it. I don't know where this blind hatred of them came from, but it's getting a bit ridiculous to say the least.


As long as SWBF3 gets made, I'll be a happy camper. 

Seeing all those leaked alpha videos just kills me on the inside. 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Message 13 of 33 (86 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Limit Breaker
Registered: 05/24/2009
Offline
18676 posts
 

Re: EA Acquires Exclusive Star Wars Game License

[ Edited ]
May 6, 2013

CaptainAlbator wrote:

For most "gamers" much vaunted hatred of Electronic Arts, just about everyone has an EA title in their library. Let's not mince words here; people will bad mouth EA to no end, and then when the actual game rolls around, they will line up at midnight, hold their nose and buy it anyway.

 

As for me, I never bought into the "gamer logic" hatred of EA, and I never believed that they were as evil as gamerdom claimed they were. I treat them like any other company. In fact I would actually prefer NBA Live over NBA 2K, just for the sheer fact that I wouldn't be putting money in J. Zee's pocket!


Oh come on, you're a smart guy from what I can tell. while you're right, I bad-mouth EA but I own multiple Battlefield games...thats what happens when good games are under the umbrella of a giant coorperation.

 

But you cannot deny that their business tactics, while smart from a financial point of view, are loathsome from the perspective of the consumer.

 

Online passes, forcing users to use that joke of a service 'Origin' and they are toying with some pretty sadistic business models lately as well, its death by degrees, but ultimately you're right since "the gamers" as you say, wont vote against with their wallet, its going to keep happening.

 

Now, on topic. I got excited about the thread title, because while EA is the perverbial "Cobra Commander" of gaming, they do have bottomless pockets, so perhaps we will see a new Battlefront?

RE-THINK SALAD


Message 14 of 33 (82 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Umbrella Scientist
Registered: 06/04/2005
Offline
14289 posts
 

Re: EA Acquires Exclusive Star Wars Game License

May 7, 2013

RIP Star Wars. But seriously, EA will probably never learn their lesson. I feel bad for the gamers who love the Star Wars games.

Message 15 of 33 (71 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
Registered: 03/09/2013
Offline
4945 posts
 

Re: EA Acquires Exclusive Star Wars Game License

May 7, 2013
^Umbrella Scientist Smiley Surprised
 photo sig_zpsfya567e6.jpg
Message 16 of 33 (67 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
VP of Gaming
Registered: 12/08/2000
Online
29406 posts
 

Re: EA Acquires Exclusive Star Wars Game License

[ Edited ]
May 7, 2013

Setzaroth wrote:

CaptainAlbator wrote:

For most "gamers" much vaunted hatred of Electronic Arts, just about everyone has an EA title in their library. Let's not mince words here; people will bad mouth EA to no end, and then when the actual game rolls around, they will line up at midnight, hold their nose and buy it anyway.

 

As for me, I never bought into the "gamer logic" hatred of EA, and I never believed that they were as evil as gamerdom claimed they were. I treat them like any other company. In fact I would actually prefer NBA Live over NBA 2K, just for the sheer fact that I wouldn't be putting money in J. Zee's pocket!


Oh come on, you're a smart guy from what I can tell, while you're right, I bad-mouth EA but I own multiple Battlefield games...thats what happens when good games are under the umbrella of a giant coorperation.

 

But you cannot deny that their business tactics, while smart from a financial point of view, are loathsome from the perspective of the consumer.

 

Online passes, forcing users to use that joke of a service 'Origin' and they are toying with some pretty sadistic business models lately as well, its death by degrees, but ultimately you're right since "the gamers" as you say, wont vote against with their wallet, its going to keep happening.

 

Now, on topic. I got excited about the thread title, because while EA is the perverbial "Cobra Commander" of gaming, they do have bottomless pockets, so perhaps we will see a new Battlefront?


How is what EA does any different from what Valve has been doing for YEARS? Yet they get a free pass because they made Half Life. Furthermore, Valve are held up as "swell guys", and they've been actually preventing you from reselling your games for nearly a decade. Forcing people to install a piece of software and giving them no choice but to use it? Gabe Newell learned this business practice when he worked at Microsoft. 

 

This is not about the online pass, it's about the IDEA that buying used games saves you money, which it often does not. Again, if gamerdom really had a problem with the online pass then Battlefield 3 wouldn't have sold like it did.

Message 17 of 33 (65 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Limit Breaker
Registered: 05/24/2009
Offline
18676 posts
 

Re: EA Acquires Exclusive Star Wars Game License

May 7, 2013

I dont PC game so valve isnt relevant to me. And I think buying used, a used copy that works, does save you money. I could be wrong but, I got Tekken Tag Tourn. 2 for $25 used,(when it was $60) and luckily they hadnt used the online pass yet (no not an EA game but they essentially started it) So how doesnt it save you money?

RE-THINK SALAD


Message 18 of 33 (60 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Highlighted
Umbrella Scientist
Registered: 06/04/2005
Offline
14289 posts
 

Re: EA Acquires Exclusive Star Wars Game License

May 7, 2013

NikeMurphDawg wrote:
^Umbrella Scientist Smiley Surprised

I promise it wasn't me that created the disease. It was one of the other scientist Smiley Wink

Message 19 of 33 (51 Views)
Fender Bender
Registered: 08/24/2008
Offline
4185 posts
 

Re: EA Acquires Exclusive Star Wars Game License

May 7, 2013

NikeMurphDawg wrote:
Battlefront 1>Battlefront 2. Both great games. My two favorites on the PS2.

After playing BF1 again I actually think I do like it better.

For different reasons.

But BF2 did a lot of good things too.

Message 20 of 33 (42 Views)
Reply
0 Likes