Treasure Hunter
6987 posts

Re: EA Getting Rid of Online Passes

[ Edited ]
May 16, 2013

Jdurg wrote:

mcbuttz78 wrote:

bookepride wrote:

They aren't losing that much, since EA just barely opened up a new studio in L.A. and hiring almost the same amount of people they fired.

Excuse my french they're  a bunch  of "silly arse clowns"  ...  you dont go  hiring folks   when your  laying folks off it  counter productive.. Not only that is disrespectful and humulating those guys.

It like saying we cant pay you guys any more  but we can pay these new  guys over here. What kinda of crap is that??.. Ea is  ok  and alot nice people work over there but..  I cant  stand the policy they do and hope they do  go under or  reform the  whole dang place called ea.

I see alot  of video game companies are making board games  now and not video games anymore..  I think thes compnaies need to learn never  sell 100%  of your company  never.. Alwys  have a way to  keep your company name. They layed 1200 people  and more layoff are coming.  In my opinion is it  disrespectful to open ananother  studio  when closing them,, if your going to  do that atleast do it quietly..

This is not something new to the business industry, or unique to the videogame industry either.  At my previous job, I was hired there after a MASSIVE round of layoffs when more than 3,000 jobs were cut by the company.  It was an awkard feeling moving into my new office while other people were packing up theirs since they were being kicked out the door.  I was at the company for 6 years before the same thing happened to me.  They decided to "change" how they were organized and kicked me out on my butt while hiring new people to run these "new" roles.  (Something that they didn't even bother interviewing ANY of their existing employees for to see if they would be able to do the job).

Companies do this all the time.  If they have 3,000 employees making $90,000 a year, but they only feel that they need "1,500" employees, just layin off the 1,500 employees will save them $135,000,000 each year on salary alone.  However, if they can "get younger" and hire in people with a bit less work experience and then offer them only $60,000 a year, they'll go and layoff all 3,000 employees and bring in 1,500 new ones at the lower salary.  This will save them additional $90,000,000 so it's what they go ahead and do. 

It's ethically and morally disgusting, but that's how big businesses work.

I understand that. at same time i have buisnes degree and i work in buisness...  And   We never layed a person off, it alwys  a better way its called giving people pay cuts..   If they are making 90k$ then  tell  them   what going on and let   tehm know they are making 50K-60K$ from that point on..  If they want to leave, then that open with a service pay and  recommendatin  for  unemployment pakage.

But they dont do  that.  .. I have done that, i use make to 60-80K$ a year now, I make 30K$ i saved a few co workers job  in process of  my  salary cut along with the rest of management when took the same pay cuts . When they  where going to lay them off,thats what managers do to help the  company retain and get better and lower  cost overall becuase the managers and bosses are making the most money. In my opinion   its not  in mind my of buisness to say oh well.. that how the dice roll.. it was nice having you.

They could have took a pay cut the ceo  at  ea is making 3.5 million yr maybe  or more than that.   Thats alot of  jobs he could have saved. the manager under him  maybe  400K-500K a year.  It always possible to re arrange  worker  pay and lower pay for  afew  and close the company to  secure  cost  and   make new one with  different cost methods and diffrent names but same exact workers.  No one will  lose a job or has to lose a job.

They did this becuase they only know one way and  really dont care,  I understand its part of buisness and something you have to  do  and i also understand they see these climtate 2-3 yrs in advance, by the 3-4th year changes happen . So in small they knew, they take the easy and common way out rather to lower  pay and recontruct the debts in a  honest and respectable fashion.

If they  can hire people then why are they laying off? to controls cost. why not just lower the  pay and the budget? Change the studio name control the debts.? Its not hard to do

Also  the lost wage is going back up ,in  few years  time for a manager, The most  important thing is to keep  folks working, because laying folks off is losing alot of money, even if pay the new guy lower pay, you've still lost  money

Mcbuttz78

vp-psn legioniaree group.

Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past, Wisdom is of the future

Message 31 of 47 (2,783 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
3916 posts

EA discontinues Online Pass program over player disapproval

May 16, 2013

Interesting read I found earlier today.

Source: http://www.techspot.com/news/52605-ea-discontinues-online-pass-program-over-player-disapproval.html

EA has announced it will discontinue its controversial Online Pass in response to customer feedback. The company first introduced the program back in 2010 as a measure to deter used games sales -- or, at the very least, get something out of them. The idea was to include a one-time use code with new copies of a game, and also sell it separately at $10 for second-hand buyers to enable online play or get access to exclusive content.

But while initially the practice was framed as ‘only fair’ as the company felt cheated out on revenue that could otherwise be used to offer to provide “a full menu of online content and services,” soon other publishers jumped in and the system evolved from enabling online play to locking out key features even in single player mode. For instance, Examiner notes Warner’s Batman Arkaham City locked levels and gameplay behind its code system.

Online Pass revenue reportedly generated a modest $10-$15 million for EA in its first year alone. Now, the company has decided that the negative press and customer criticism was not worth the trouble.

"Yes, we're discontinuing Online Pass," EA's senior director of corporate communications John Reseburg said in a statement. "None of our new EA titles will include that feature […] Many players didn’t respond to the format. We’ve listened to the feedback and decided to do away with it moving forward.”

Reseburg clarified that they’re still committed to creating (and selling) downloadable content and services that enhance the game experience beyond the day you first start playing.

While EA pioneered the online pass scheme among publishers, now they are also the first to abolish it. It’ll be interesting to see whether companies like Ubisoft, Sony, Warner Brothers follow suit.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Message 32 of 47 (2,800 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
4501 posts

Re: EA discontinues Online Pass program over player disapproval

May 16, 2013

It's great news, hopefully they don't do something different to replace not having Online Passes anymore from them.

YB

Message 33 of 47 (2,795 Views)
0 Likes
VP of Gaming
30956 posts

May 16, 2013
EA doing something smart?

Somewhere in hell an iceberg just formed
Message 34 of 47 (2,791 Views)
Fender Bender
2853 posts

May 16, 2013
I don't understand why people have made such a huge fuss over it. I actually thought that it was a great idea for EA to do when it was first announced. It's just another 10 dollars on top of the USED game people have already bought.
What people fail to realize is that when you buy a used game, the developers don't get any money from that. Them wanting a little something for people buying a used game isn't really that big of a deal.

I think it's funny that there are people who claim they absolutely love video games and the industry as a whole, yet their entire collection is composed of used games. How does buying used games support the industry? Or the developers?

I guess my feelings may be a little subjective due to the fact that I want to get into the video games industry.
I can almost guarantee you that even though developers enjoy the praise they receive from their fans about their games, not one of them is happy that you bought it used. They just don't say it in public because it causes too much controversy.

Just like how this post will cause lots of debates about how people are entitled to anything and everything from developers.

Do people buy used games because they feel developers are making too much money? Because they don't. Is there anyone here who works for a company who makes a product and says, "Hopefully people will find our product somewhere else to make sure we don't make any money"?
Message 35 of 47 (2,782 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
40080 posts

[ Edited ]
May 17, 2013

http://community.us.playstation.com/t5/PlayStation-General/EA-Getting-Rid-of-Online-Passes/m-p/40380...

BRIT-KO

Edit: threads merged

U--J

CMNTY_SIG_MVP_500x100_002B.jpg

Customer Service - 1-800-345-SONY (7669)
Available Mon to Fri From 8am - 8pm PST
Message 36 of 47 (2,771 Views)
Limit Breaker
18676 posts

May 17, 2013

uh, I feel entitled to play my game I BOUGHT on as many accounts as I want. Exspecially with physical disc games...c'mon. You cant even let your friend borrow the CD for the weekend with these idiotic things.

RE-THINK SALAD

Message 37 of 47 (2,763 Views)
0 Likes
Welcoming Committee
4404 posts

May 17, 2013

I remember when there was a time when you saw "Electronic Arts" on a game, and knew it would (or should) be good.

Their name meant something. Now, "EA" is a joke and has been voted the worst company two years in a row.

I'm hoping the new head of EA starts to turn the company around and put them back up top, where they used to be.

This is a good start.

"You must make a friend of horror. Horror and moral terror are your friends. If they are not then they are enemies to be feared."

Message 38 of 47 (2,760 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
6987 posts

May 17, 2013

HorrorGod wrote:

I remember when there was a time when you saw "Electronic Arts" on a game, and knew it would (or should) be good.

Their name meant something. Now, "EA" is a joke and has been voted the worst company two years in a row.

I'm hoping the new head of EA starts to turn the company around and put them back up top, where they used to be.

This is a good start.

I doubt  he can  do it alone  its really  a group effort, sometime if  you get so  big you got so many  so  many personalities,  so many  different  policy's its  hard.. so  many  players  it turn to  a mad  house.. us vs them attitude.

i think  they need to allow  2k to make a football game,  Ea has gotten lazy over the  years.. that the  problem  rockstar/  take  2 is hungry and have a price to bid,they want blood and  Ea  cant beat them nor can  anyone really  those  at rockstar games guy are a team.

Just  like the dev  Gt franchise dev those guys are a team they want blood and perfection every game, they  dont use dirty play or tactic  so there no competition they stay hungry and have easy street.. They  welcome  defeat  and want to be defeated. Ea dont do  this and this  no  online pass thing is moslty  a cover  thing  for another plan they might have to cover this area.. \

Like saying goes it if to good to be true then its moslty like is not true (and a  con)

Mcbuttz78

vp-psn legioniaree group.

Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past, Wisdom is of the future

Message 39 of 47 (2,753 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
6276 posts

May 17, 2013

I for one see this as a good thing. Kind of wish other game developing companies, would follow the same path.

I think it's pretty obvious online passes, do generate more money for the company. However, not every gamer just goes out and buys a $60 game, that comes with an already pre-ready online pass.

There's a lot of used gamers out there, who rather spend money on unwanted games that people didn't like or enjoy. But, with the way games are developed now, they tend to miss out on a majority of the experience.

They can buy the used game, play single player and enjoy some aspects of that. However, if they want to play online, oops..online pass needed. 

It's a good step for EA, considering it might appeal to more people who dislike online passes.

Though, I think it's going to take more than a removal of online passes, for EA to come back strong.

Message 40 of 47 (2,749 Views)
0 Likes