Fender Bender
3241 posts

Re: Elitist Users Reporting New Users

Apr 22, 2013

A non moderator that constantly reports other members, slaps links down as if he owns the joint, responds to posts in a condescending manner, and then plays the victim when hes crossed the line should accept the fact that hes no more a moderator than the people he attempts to try to police.

And no one is defending the stampede of alternate accounts here that people create to troll the forums. But assuming that you know every single one when you don't, still doesnt give you a shiny tin foil badge to play forum cop.

As stated Sony pays their moderators, let them earn their money. Being a tattletale is one thing, and most people dont need to be told what to do....but trying to play forum cop is something completly different and is uncalled for and deservant of no respect simply because there is no authority attached to it.

Message 31 of 54 (956 Views)
I Only Post Everything
819 posts

Apr 22, 2013
but you do understand that reporting doesn't harm ppl here right? it just flags it so a mod can look at it. so if said users arent doin nuthin wrong then what's the harm? Conrad posts in this fashion tho...and your right he doesn't have a badge...but he's trying to be helpful..i don't understand ur hostility towards him based on all the post I've seen of his..i guess at some point he reported you? lol...either way since he's not breaking ANY rules...i suggest you get used to skipping over his posts guy.
Message 32 of 54 (927 Views)
Fender Bender
3241 posts

[ Edited ]
Apr 22, 2013

And I suggest to you both that the moderators should be left to do their own jobs, without some mini mod attempting to bully, coerce, intimidate, police, enforce, tattle or run a forum that they have absolutely no authority to do so in.

The post wasnt an outward deliberate violation. It was the OP's first and probably last one.

There were several ways to have gotten the point across to him (via PM, thru a reply explaining blacklisting is frowned upon, etc etc). But its HOW it was done and how OFTEN it occurs.

Being helpful does not entail declaring that I have reported you in a follow up post, or constantly bragging about how many times he's reported other people in Home or in the forums.

Being helpful has a degree of respect that goes along with it and is not condescendant, so since it obvious he doesnt seem to understand the difference, then I consider myself "helping" him to understand everyone doesnt need or appreciate some of the methods that he uses to "help".

Message 33 of 54 (900 Views)
Wastelander
568 posts

Apr 22, 2013

well

Message 34 of 54 (863 Views)
PlayStation Moderator
2673 posts

Apr 22, 2013
Message 35 of 54 (859 Views)
PlayStation MVP
7840 posts

Apr 22, 2013

The very first thing any new member of the forums should do is to read through the rules. Now, I am well aware that almost no one actually does this, but it is your responsibility to read and know the rule right from the beginning. A user's registration age should make no difference to whether or not a post containing content that is against the rules should be reported. If I see offending content I will report it. I don't care how new or old a member is and a never look at registration or post count when making a report, as a result I have reported new users and veterans alike. A report is a report.

If the user is new to the forums then the Mods can help guide the new member towards to rules and will probably let the user off with a simple warning. I seriously doubt that the Mods will do anything serious to the member if it's their first offense.

Now, I do disagree with the approach of making a public post that the post has been reported. It seems a bit too showy to me. A post containing offending content should be reported to the Mods, then simply left at that. Let the Mods handle everything else.

TSUNADE1224 wrote:

Instead of the sarcasim and playing the victim, I would have prefered at least one statemet from you admiting that you jumped the gun and reported unjustly a member of the community seeking assistance for harrasment.  The point was NOT that the poster would get in trouble BUT the impression made is no better then the bullies he/she was trying to report. 

Except that by reporting the post you can effectively take care of three problems in one shot. 1, have the Mods remove the offending content. 2, give the Mods the opportunity to educate the new user on the rules. 3, give the Mods an opportunity to reach out to the user and help them with their issue, since their issue is something that can only be handled by the Mods.

New users rarely know how to contact a Mod to have their issue handled. So if you don't report the post it could very easily get missed by the Mods, leaving the user struggling to figure out what to do until someone else comes along and educates them on how to find and contact a Mod. It's far easier and quicker to flag the post to get a Mod to approach the user. From there the user's issue can be handled.

ILLUMIN-X wrote:

A non moderator that constantly reports other members, slaps links down as if he owns the joint, responds to posts in a condescending manner, and then plays the victim when hes crossed the line should accept the fact that hes no more a moderator than the people he attempts to try to police.

And no one is defending the stampede of alternate accounts here that people create to troll the forums. But assuming that you know every single one when you don't, still doesnt give you a shiny tin foil badge to play forum cop.

As stated Sony pays their moderators, let them earn their money. Being a tattletale is one thing, and most people dont need to be told what to do....but trying to play forum cop is something completly different and is uncalled for and deservant of no respect simply because there is no authority attached to it.

As someone who has done quite a bit of Moderation on other forums I can say with absolute certainty that reporting abuse is extremely helpful to the Mods, and it rather makes me sad to see a user pass off the feature like this. It's not a matter of being a mini-Mod, a tattle-tale, or trying to do the Mod's jobs for them. It's a simple matter that there are far too many posts being made around the entirely of the forums for the Mods to keep up. Reporting a post is like sticking a bright red beacon on the needle in the hay stack, and I can guarantee you that even with all of the reports that the Mods receive in a day there is still plenty of work for them to do in order to earn their pay. Basically what reporting allows the Mods to do is to get more work done in a more efficient manner. They will still be working these forums until their eyes bleed. So don't worry about reports making the Mods lazy or not earn their pay, it's simply not going to happen on a forum this size.

Message 36 of 54 (841 Views)
Wastelander
562 posts

Apr 22, 2013
Something tell me that the OP of this thread is the same OP as the other thread, just different names to fake everyone, I loled that MOD didn't delete or lock this whole thread and resolve to move it to Off-Topic where it will get 2 more page full of random reply that serve no purpose or whatsoever and derail like a mad train like that one movie with Denzel Washington
Message 37 of 54 (837 Views)
Fender Bender
3055 posts

Apr 22, 2013

i was actually thinking that too but you beat me to it..lol

gta5 photo: GTAV banner gta5_banner.jpg
Message 38 of 54 (830 Views)
0 Likes
Shinra Executive
33103 posts

[ Edited ]
Apr 22, 2013

lauranichole25 wrote:
but you do understand that reporting doesn't harm ppl here right? it just flags it so a mod can look at it. so if said users arent doin nuthin wrong then what's the harm? Conrad posts in this fashion tho...and your right he doesn't have a badge...but he's trying to be helpful..i don't understand ur hostility towards him based on all the post I've seen of his..i guess at some point he reported you? lol...either way since he's not breaking ANY rules...i suggest you get used to skipping over his posts guy.

EXACTLY, WELL SAID.

I report people on a daily basis, many others do too, those reports, at least the ones I send are done via the report innapropriate post option, occasionally I will PM a manager but not often, these reports could be reports for numerous things, maybe about a post being in the wrong place or for spam, blacklisting is another popular one too.

Earlier this week I got told by a regular Forum user that I had no authority here & probably reported a post, RIGHT & WRONG, I do have no authority here, none whatsoever, but in that particular Thread I was nothing but helpful to the OP, but still the person decided to throw in their 2 cents worth just to have a dig at me, so before accusing others some should look closer to home (no pun intended) before accusations are thrown around!

But there's something that those of you that want to tar some us (you know who you are) with the 'mini-mod' badge should be aware of, the managers here have actually asked for the help of regular Forum members in reporting posts, they have said it aids them because they can't be everywhere, I think I even recall traWnza & Tempest-Fire both saying that these reports generally help the Moderators, so before judging some users & painting them/us as 'mini-mod's' & alike think about the good they/we are doing too.

@ DVM above, well said too.

That was just my 2 cents, now let the flaming begin!!

BRIT-KO

Message 39 of 54 (813 Views)
Ghost of Sparta
11697 posts

Apr 22, 2013
Haha this is from Home, that's why I recognize NO ONE AT ALL.

Anyways, the way I look at it is that every user is a threat to my Fender Bender title, and inevitable dominance of this forum. So I report everyone. Especially the newbies. Gotta smother em while they're still in the crib, ya know?

It's a jungle our there baby. Survival of the fittest.
Message 40 of 54 (380 Views)